An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking And Ciggarettes...

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Should smoking ciggarettes be illegal?  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Aug 28 2004, 03:06 PM'] i have to disagree with u on that one [/quote]
The Bible agrees with me, so there! :P

Noel's angel

im just saying that, well, i dont think u phrased it well enough, alchohol can be abused, thats all i was saying, i didnt really get what u were trying to say at first :D

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Aug 28 2004, 03:17 PM'] im just saying that, well, i dont think u phrased it well enough, alchohol can be abused, thats all i was saying, i didnt really get what u were trying to say at first :D [/quote]
Well, yes, but anything can be abused...

I meant that it's not intrinsically evil...it's not evil in itself.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Aug 28 2004, 03:18 PM'] just ignore, me, i have a sore head and im not thinking very well.......... [/quote]
LOL

I'm just trying to screw around. Ignore me!

Laudate_Dominum

The CCC says that the excessive use, or abuse of tobacco is bad, not smoking at all. I would say that cigarettes, because they are so addictive and because you inhale the smoke, are the worst kind of tobacco use. But an occassional pipe or something is a great thing, one of the many God given pleasures in life which we should be thankful for. Making tobacco illegal seems a bit extreme. I think there are too many laws already. I don't like the tobacco companies, or rampant cigarette addiction, but tobacco is still cool in my book.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Aug 28 2004, 12:44 PM'] First of all, just because God created a plant doesn't necessarily mean that He intended for it to be smoked. Example: hemp was used to make ropes. Personally, the whole, "God created it, so it must be good" attitude can be used as a justification to use God's creation in a perveted manner. (I'm not accusing you of doing that Phazzan, I'm just using your comment as a springboard to make a general point to the public, so please don't take offense).

CCC 2291: "The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law." [/quote]
the word drugs in this context is obviously referring to illegal narcotics, not drugs in the broad sense. Many foods and herbs contain "drugs" naturally. And some contain drugs artificially, for example coca cola. You would have to ban hot sauce, coffee and tea, beer, anything with ginseng and things like that, and many of things to be consistent.

Laudate_Dominum

And I think that arguing that it's "unnatural" to smoke a leaf is not really a good argument. Shaving, brewing alchohol, wearing clothes, medicinal uses of plants, and other such things are not "natural" by this kind of logic. Christ did not condemn such things, nor does the Church.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Aug 28 2004, 02:31 PM'] And I think that arguing that it's "unnatural" to smoke a leaf is not really a good argument. Shaving, brewing alchohol, wearing clothes, medicinal uses of plants, and other such things are not "natural" by this kind of logic. Christ did not condemn such things, nor does the Church. [/quote]
Shaving doesn't harm anyone (unless they tend to cut themselves a lot). Neither does wearing clothes or brewing alcohol (for moderate uses, anyway). And I posted the cathechism paragraph that OKs drugs for therapeuic uses, which covers the medicinal aspect.

Tobaco is considered a drug by many because of the addictive properties of the nicotine in cigarettes. And obviously we've found out that more harm than good comes from cigarette smoking; the only good - that it calms peoples' nerves - can be traced, I'm sure, to the fact that they are merely fulfilling an addiction to soothe their "withdrawl" from going whatever amount of time without one, so this so-called good is just another proof of addiction.

Bottom line: how is it being used, for good or destruction?

Shaving - neutral
Brewing alcohol - neutral, but can be abused
Wearing clothes - good
Tobacco - destruction

homeschoolmom

[quote name='curtins' date='Aug 28 2004, 11:56 AM'] its bad for you- plain an simple- slow form of suicide [/quote]
Then by your logic fast food, soda, laying on the couch, staying up Phatmassing when you should be sleeping, etc. would all be illegal as they all contribute to poor health and thus death.

Now granted, I am not a smoking advocate, in fact I think it's a nasty habit, but I am not in favor of making it illegal. I do appreciate not having to breathe smoke in public buildings and such, but if someone wants to smoke in their own home, I'm not gonna stop 'em....

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Aug 28 2004, 02:44 PM'] Shaving doesn't harm anyone (unless they tend to cut themselves a lot). Neither does wearing clothes or brewing alcohol (for moderate uses, anyway). And I posted the cathechism paragraph that OKs drugs for therapeuic uses, which covers the medicinal aspect.

Tobaco is considered a drug by many because of the addictive properties of the nicotine in cigarettes. And obviously we've found out that more harm than good comes from cigarette smoking; the only good - that it calms peoples' nerves - can be traced, I'm sure, to the fact that they are merely fulfilling an addiction to soothe their "withdrawl" from going whatever amount of time without one, so this so-called good is just another proof of addiction.

Bottom line: how is it being used, for good or destruction?

Shaving - neutral
Brewing alcohol - neutral, but can be abused
Wearing clothes - good
Tobacco - destruction [/quote]
I think you've been influenced by the rampant anti-tobacco propaganda of our country. Tobacco does not equal destruction. Tobacco = neutral, but can be abused. This is the position of the Catechism anyway. The abuse of misuse of tobacco can cause health problems, but so can the abuse of aspirin, alchohol, coffee, etc.. Like many things, moderate smoking (preferably under a form where there is not inhalation such as pipe) is simply a pleasure, like enjoying tea, deserts, hot sauce, beer or wine. I'm sure Hobbits would agree. :)

[quote]Alcohol, by contrast, is not intrinsically evil. Alcohol is enjoyable and jubilant. It does not require addiction to alcohol to enjoy alcohol (for instance, a first time drinker can enjoy it).[/quote]

same with smoking

IcePrincessKRS

I agree with Kilroy, HSmom, and LD on this one.

I actually voted "undecided". lol I'm the only one! I don't really think it should be totally illegal but I do think there should be tighter restrictions on them with the way you see so many young (read: underage) people smoking all over the place.

Personally I find smoking to be utterly disgusting, but if someone enjoys it without abusing or getting addicted, more power to 'em.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

No matter how much i'de like it to be illegal(i'm higly allergic, was sent to the hospital after trying 1 puff of a cig), there is no way that they (cops/government) could enforce such a law.

caffiene in coffe is a mind altering drug. Tobacco, like alcohol, twinkies, and cafe con leche, can be harmful in wrong doses. My grandfather smoked all his life and died when he was in his 80's of normal oldage. My grandmother's great aunt lived in her late 90's (she died in the 20's) and always smoked. My uncle died of lung failure in his 60's. He smoked, but it was from working in a metal shop that killed his lungs. My wife's grandmother died in her 60s' of lung cancer (she smoked). I've got alcoholics in the family, and my wife and I met in a bar that we pretty much spent 7 nites a week at. Now a 6-pack lasts a couple of weeks which is shorter than the month or two (we've started drinking heavy. lol). My wife and sister can't drink caffiene because of serious health problems. I used to smoke and quit because it was killing me. It made me feel bad. It took me away from my kids because I wouldn't smoke around them (or even let them see me smoke) so was always going out in the yard, etc. I can give you ancedotal evidence every which away.

There is the possiblity that any habit may be harmful. You have to pay attention and be willing to work at stopping it if neccesary. The government shouldn't govern out every possible harmful choice. We have free will and should be responsible for our actions.