An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking And Ciggarettes...

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Should smoking ciggarettes be illegal?  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ciggs should be illegal. Certain Cigars should be legal and certain pipe tobacco should be legal. All cigs smell foul. Some Cigars and pipe tobacco are amazing( which should stay a guy thing because femal smoking is really a turn off, whereas male smoking is masculine! haha, I know people will disagree).

Finally, all tobacco products are bad if they cause you diversion from God. Ie, if you are really addicted to smoking (as most cig smokers are) and you are sitting in church thinking about smoking during Mass, that can be a sin. However, in moderation, I believe it is bad. Also, if you smoke because of stress or anger, that is a dependant addiction. If you do it for pleasure every once and a while, I think it is okay (this is rare, indeed). Same applies with Alcohol. I have never been drunk or tipsy, but have always imbibed alcohol for pleasure (not to excess). I find it to calm the nerves (as did one saint, either Aquinis (sp) or Thomas More). Futhermore, I don't believe that one constitues excess.:)

Should food be illegal? Artificial preservatives? Polyunsaturated fats? Work out the logic folks. How about pollutants? How about mercury? Lots of things fit your criteria for why you feel smoking should be illegal, but it all boils down to the fact that you find it disgusting. Moral theology can not be formed on the basis of disgust.

Someone told me that I needed to quit smoking before I went to the seminary, as smoking was not "priest-like". I replied that as soon as we stopped ordaining obese priests, I would consider stopping.

peace...

toledo_jesus

smoking a pipe is way too difficult to become a habit. Too much work to be anything but a hobby. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with pipe tobacco, or cigars.
Cigarettes are not cool, just cause they are much more likely to cause addiction. However, if for some reason a person was able to enjoy a cig without addiction, I wouldn't see a problem with that.
you know, if we took away all the things that shortened our lives or just weren't healthy, we'd be living in a sterile test tube. How dull. I want good food, good drink, and a good pipe. All in moderation of course.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Aug 28 2004, 10:34 PM'] smoking a pipe is way too difficult to become a habit. Too much work to be anything but a hobby. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with pipe tobacco, or cigars.
Cigarettes are not cool, just cause they are much more likely to cause addiction. However, if for some reason a person was able to enjoy a cig without addiction, I wouldn't see a problem with that.
you know, if we took away all the things that shortened our lives or just weren't healthy, we'd be living in a sterile test tube. How dull. I want good food, good drink, and a good pipe. All in moderation of course. [/quote]
:D

Pipe smooking is manly. On life on the rocktz show, they have a picture of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati on the wall and he is smoking a pipe. The reason I haven't is becuase i'd have to sterilize my mouth and get the ashy taste out cus I know it would bother others.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Oik' date='Aug 28 2004, 11:01 PM'] Pipe smooking is manly. On life on the rocktz show, they have a picture of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati on the wall and he is smoking a pipe. The reason I haven't is becuase i'd have to sterilize my mouth and get the ashy taste out cus I know it would bother others. [/quote]
Pipe smoking is the coolest! And it's for women too! One of the most charming and gorgeous young ladies I've ever known smoked a pipe on occassion. Maybe it's an Irish thing. :)

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Aug 28 2004, 12:44 PM'] First of all, just because God created a plant doesn't necessarily mean that He intended for it to be smoked. Example: hemp was used to make ropes. Personally, the whole, "God created it, so it must be good" attitude can be used as a justification to use God's creation in a perveted manner. (I'm not accusing you of doing that Phazzan, I'm just using your comment as a springboard to make a general point to the public, so please don't take offense). [/quote]
That's quite a captain obvious norseman. Of course God didn't create certain plants and things like that to be abused. Neither did God create tobacco for the sole purpose of smoking. My point was in response to MorphRC empty call that cigerettes are bad cause it's a drug. My point was, a drugs not bad just because drugs are drugs and drugs are bad mmmkay. Not all drugs are bad.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Aug 28 2004, 03:16 PM'] I think you've been influenced by the rampant anti-tobacco propaganda of our country. Tobacco does not equal destruction. Tobacco = neutral, but can be abused. This is the position of the Catechism anyway. The abuse of misuse of tobacco can cause health problems, but so can the abuse of aspirin, alchohol, coffee, etc.. Like many things, moderate smoking (preferably under a form where there is not inhalation such as pipe) is simply a pleasure, like enjoying tea, deserts, hot sauce, beer or wine. I'm sure Hobbits would agree. :) [/quote]
No, kid, I've been influenced by the fact that I lost both parents to tobacco related diseases (heart disease and cancer) before you were even out of diapers.

I think smoking is just fine. I don't smoke cigarettes but I love a nice pipe and cigar now and then. Especially Cigars . . .

I also like to drink beer, wine, and hard liquor.

I think that if the Church told me it was morally licit to smoke Pot, I would probably do that too. Of course, it's not . . . so I would never.

Oh yeah, and I like Milkshakes too.

[quote name='BLAZEr' date='Aug 29 2004, 12:28 AM'] I think smoking is just fine. I don't smoke cigarettes but I love a nice pipe and cigar now and then. Especially Cigars . . .

I also like to drink beer, wine, and hard liquor.

I think that if the Church told me it was morally licit to smoke Pot, I would probably do that too. Of course, it's not . . . so I would never.

Oh yeah, and I like Milkshakes too. [/quote]
me too :)

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Aug 28 2004, 11:42 PM'] No, kid, I've been influenced by the fact that I lost both parents to tobacco related diseases (heart disease and cancer) before you were even out of diapers. [/quote]
Lord have mercy.

:sadder:

gopherball33

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Aug 28 2004, 02:19 PM'] drugs are bad mmmkay [/quote]
south park. that can be some funny stuff

gopherball33

i think cigarettes should be illegal. sometimes people need to be protected from themselves. in this case, it would save lives.

Edited by gopherball33

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='gopherball33' date='Aug 29 2004, 12:42 AM'] i think cigarettes should be illegal. sometimes people need to be protected from themselves. in this case, it would save lives. [/quote]
I wouldn't mind cigarettes so much because they are so addictive, you inhale you it causes all these problems, and the tobacco companies are said to add junk in them. But I doubt that will ever happen. And pipe in moderation is still cool.