Photo
- - - - -

Smoking And Ciggarettes...

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Should smoking ciggarettes be illegal?

Should smoking ciggarettes be illegal?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

• n00b
  • 18,616 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:23 PM

The CCC says that the excessive use, or abuse of tobacco is bad, not smoking at all. I would say that cigarettes, because they are so addictive and because you inhale the smoke, are the worst kind of tobacco use. But an occassional pipe or something is a great thing, one of the many God given pleasures in life which we should be thankful for. Making tobacco illegal seems a bit extreme. I think there are too many laws already. I don't like the tobacco companies, or rampant cigarette addiction, but tobacco is still cool in my book.

#22 Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

• n00b
  • 18,616 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:27 PM

First of all, just because God created a plant doesn't necessarily mean that He intended for it to be smoked. Example: hemp was used to make ropes. Personally, the whole, "God created it, so it must be good" attitude can be used as a justification to use God's creation in a perveted manner. (I'm not accusing you of doing that Phazzan, I'm just using your comment as a springboard to make a general point to the public, so please don't take offense).

CCC 2291: "The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law."

the word drugs in this context is obviously referring to illegal narcotics, not drugs in the broad sense. Many foods and herbs contain "drugs" naturally. And some contain drugs artificially, for example coca cola. You would have to ban hot sauce, coffee and tea, beer, anything with ginseng and things like that, and many of things to be consistent.

#23 Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

• n00b
  • 18,616 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:31 PM

And I think that arguing that it's "unnatural" to smoke a leaf is not really a good argument. Shaving, brewing alchohol, wearing clothes, medicinal uses of plants, and other such things are not "natural" by this kind of logic. Christ did not condemn such things, nor does the Church.

#24 Norseman82

Norseman82

Peoples of the phorum, please attend carefully...

• Church Militant
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:44 PM

And I think that arguing that it's "unnatural" to smoke a leaf is not really a good argument. Shaving, brewing alchohol, wearing clothes, medicinal uses of plants, and other such things are not "natural" by this kind of logic. Christ did not condemn such things, nor does the Church.

Shaving doesn't harm anyone (unless they tend to cut themselves a lot). Neither does wearing clothes or brewing alcohol (for moderate uses, anyway). And I posted the cathechism paragraph that OKs drugs for therapeuic uses, which covers the medicinal aspect.

Tobaco is considered a drug by many because of the addictive properties of the nicotine in cigarettes. And obviously we've found out that more harm than good comes from cigarette smoking; the only good - that it calms peoples' nerves - can be traced, I'm sure, to the fact that they are merely fulfilling an addiction to soothe their "withdrawl" from going whatever amount of time without one, so this so-called good is just another proof of addiction.

Bottom line: how is it being used, for good or destruction?

Shaving - neutral
Brewing alcohol - neutral, but can be abused
Wearing clothes - good
Tobacco - destruction

#25 homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom

It is uncouthed to speak illy of the dead.

• Church Militant
  • 37,540 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:48 PM

its bad for you- plain an simple- slow form of suicide

Then by your logic fast food, soda, laying on the couch, staying up Phatmassing when you should be sleeping, etc. would all be illegal as they all contribute to poor health and thus death.

Now granted, I am not a smoking advocate, in fact I think it's a nasty habit, but I am not in favor of making it illegal. I do appreciate not having to breathe smoke in public buildings and such, but if someone wants to smoke in their own home, I'm not gonna stop 'em....

#26 Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

• n00b
  • 18,616 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 August 2004 - 02:16 PM

Shaving doesn't harm anyone (unless they tend to cut themselves a lot). Neither does wearing clothes or brewing alcohol (for moderate uses, anyway). And I posted the cathechism paragraph that OKs drugs for therapeuic uses, which covers the medicinal aspect.

Tobaco is considered a drug by many because of the addictive properties of the nicotine in cigarettes. And obviously we've found out that more harm than good comes from cigarette smoking; the only good - that it calms peoples' nerves - can be traced, I'm sure, to the fact that they are merely fulfilling an addiction to soothe their "withdrawl" from going whatever amount of time without one, so this so-called good is just another proof of addiction.

Bottom line: how is it being used, for good or destruction?

Shaving - neutral
Brewing alcohol - neutral, but can be abused
Wearing clothes - good
Tobacco - destruction

I think you've been influenced by the rampant anti-tobacco propaganda of our country. Tobacco does not equal destruction. Tobacco = neutral, but can be abused. This is the position of the Catechism anyway. The abuse of misuse of tobacco can cause health problems, but so can the abuse of aspirin, alchohol, coffee, etc.. Like many things, moderate smoking (preferably under a form where there is not inhalation such as pipe) is simply a pleasure, like enjoying tea, deserts, hot sauce, beer or wine. I'm sure Hobbits would agree. :)

#27 myduwigd

myduwigd

PM Alien

• n00b
  • 371 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 02:56 PM

Alcohol, by contrast, is not intrinsically evil. Alcohol is enjoyable and jubilant. It does not require addiction to alcohol to enjoy alcohol (for instance, a first time drinker can enjoy it).

same with smoking

#28 IcePrincessKRS

IcePrincessKRS

Princess Bling Bling

• Church Militant
  • 26,724 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:43 PM

I agree with Kilroy, HSmom, and LD on this one.

I actually voted "undecided". lol I'm the only one! I don't really think it should be totally illegal but I do think there should be tighter restrictions on them with the way you see so many young (read: underage) people smoking all over the place.

Personally I find smoking to be utterly disgusting, but if someone enjoys it without abusing or getting addicted, more power to 'em.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS, 28 August 2004 - 03:44 PM.

#29 mattosika

mattosika

PM Peep

• n00b
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:44 PM

No matter how much i'de like it to be illegal(i'm higly allergic, was sent to the hospital after trying 1 puff of a cig), there is no way that they (cops/government) could enforce such a law.

#30 jasJis

jasJis

I Can Change My Own Title Now

• Chummy Commoner
  • 3,328 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:58 PM

caffiene in coffe is a mind altering drug. Tobacco, like alcohol, twinkies, and cafe con leche, can be harmful in wrong doses. My grandfather smoked all his life and died when he was in his 80's of normal oldage. My grandmother's great aunt lived in her late 90's (she died in the 20's) and always smoked. My uncle died of lung failure in his 60's. He smoked, but it was from working in a metal shop that killed his lungs. My wife's grandmother died in her 60s' of lung cancer (she smoked). I've got alcoholics in the family, and my wife and I met in a bar that we pretty much spent 7 nites a week at. Now a 6-pack lasts a couple of weeks which is shorter than the month or two (we've started drinking heavy. lol). My wife and sister can't drink caffiene because of serious health problems. I used to smoke and quit because it was killing me. It made me feel bad. It took me away from my kids because I wouldn't smoke around them (or even let them see me smoke) so was always going out in the yard, etc. I can give you ancedotal evidence every which away.

There is the possiblity that any habit may be harmful. You have to pay attention and be willing to work at stopping it if neccesary. The government shouldn't govern out every possible harmful choice. We have free will and should be responsible for our actions.

#31 Oik

Oik

PM Super Alien

• Church Militant
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:26 PM

Ciggs should be illegal. Certain Cigars should be legal and certain pipe tobacco should be legal. All cigs smell foul. Some Cigars and pipe tobacco are amazing( which should stay a guy thing because femal smoking is really a turn off, whereas male smoking is masculine! haha, I know people will disagree).

Finally, all tobacco products are bad if they cause you diversion from God. Ie, if you are really addicted to smoking (as most cig smokers are) and you are sitting in church thinking about smoking during Mass, that can be a sin. However, in moderation, I believe it is bad. Also, if you smoke because of stress or anger, that is a dependant addiction. If you do it for pleasure every once and a while, I think it is okay (this is rare, indeed). Same applies with Alcohol. I have never been drunk or tipsy, but have always imbibed alcohol for pleasure (not to excess). I find it to calm the nerves (as did one saint, either Aquinis (sp) or Thomas More). Futhermore, I don't believe that one constitues excess.:)

#32 PedroX

PedroX

PM Super Alien

• Church Militant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:01 PM

Should food be illegal? Artificial preservatives? Polyunsaturated fats? Work out the logic folks. How about pollutants? How about mercury? Lots of things fit your criteria for why you feel smoking should be illegal, but it all boils down to the fact that you find it disgusting. Moral theology can not be formed on the basis of disgust.

Someone told me that I needed to quit smoking before I went to the seminary, as smoking was not "priest-like". I replied that as soon as we stopped ordaining obese priests, I would consider stopping.

peace...

#33 toledo_jesus

toledo_jesus

Edit me for Charity where appropriate! I don't mind.

• Church Militant
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:34 PM

smoking a pipe is way too difficult to become a habit. Too much work to be anything but a hobby. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with pipe tobacco, or cigars.
Cigarettes are not cool, just cause they are much more likely to cause addiction. However, if for some reason a person was able to enjoy a cig without addiction, I wouldn't see a problem with that.
you know, if we took away all the things that shortened our lives or just weren't healthy, we'd be living in a sterile test tube. How dull. I want good food, good drink, and a good pipe. All in moderation of course.

#34 Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

• n00b
  • 18,616 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:56 PM

smoking a pipe is way too difficult to become a habit. Too much work to be anything but a hobby. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with pipe tobacco, or cigars.
Cigarettes are not cool, just cause they are much more likely to cause addiction. However, if for some reason a person was able to enjoy a cig without addiction, I wouldn't see a problem with that.
you know, if we took away all the things that shortened our lives or just weren't healthy, we'd be living in a sterile test tube. How dull. I want good food, good drink, and a good pipe. All in moderation of course.

:D

#35 Oik

Oik

PM Super Alien

• Church Militant
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:01 PM

Pipe smooking is manly. On life on the rocktz show, they have a picture of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati on the wall and he is smoking a pipe. The reason I haven't is becuase i'd have to sterilize my mouth and get the ashy taste out cus I know it would bother others.

#36 Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

• n00b
  • 18,616 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:08 PM

Pipe smooking is manly. On life on the rocktz show, they have a picture of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati on the wall and he is smoking a pipe. The reason I haven't is becuase i'd have to sterilize my mouth and get the ashy taste out cus I know it would bother others.

Pipe smoking is the coolest! And it's for women too! One of the most charming and gorgeous young ladies I've ever known smoked a pipe on occassion. Maybe it's an Irish thing. :)

#37 Phazzan

Phazzan

I Can Change My Own Title Now

• n00b
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:32 PM

First of all, just because God created a plant doesn't necessarily mean that He intended for it to be smoked. Example: hemp was used to make ropes. Personally, the whole, "God created it, so it must be good" attitude can be used as a justification to use God's creation in a perveted manner. (I'm not accusing you of doing that Phazzan, I'm just using your comment as a springboard to make a general point to the public, so please don't take offense).

That's quite a captain obvious norseman. Of course God didn't create certain plants and things like that to be abused. Neither did God create tobacco for the sole purpose of smoking. My point was in response to MorphRC empty call that cigerettes are bad cause it's a drug. My point was, a drugs not bad just because drugs are drugs and drugs are bad mmmkay. Not all drugs are bad.

#38 Norseman82

Norseman82

Peoples of the phorum, please attend carefully...

• Church Militant
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:42 PM

I think you've been influenced by the rampant anti-tobacco propaganda of our country. Tobacco does not equal destruction. Tobacco = neutral, but can be abused. This is the position of the Catechism anyway. The abuse of misuse of tobacco can cause health problems, but so can the abuse of aspirin, alchohol, coffee, etc.. Like many things, moderate smoking (preferably under a form where there is not inhalation such as pipe) is simply a pleasure, like enjoying tea, deserts, hot sauce, beer or wine. I'm sure Hobbits would agree. :)

No, kid, I've been influenced by the fact that I lost both parents to tobacco related diseases (heart disease and cancer) before you were even out of diapers.

#39 BLAZEr

BLAZEr

The Mystery came to Man!

• Church Militant
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:28 PM

I think smoking is just fine. I don't smoke cigarettes but I love a nice pipe and cigar now and then. Especially Cigars . . .

I also like to drink beer, wine, and hard liquor.

I think that if the Church told me it was morally licit to smoke Pot, I would probably do that too. Of course, it's not . . . so I would never.

Oh yeah, and I like Milkshakes too.

#40 catmandoo

catmandoo

Lurker

• n00b
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:32 PM

:sadder:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users