An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking And Ciggarettes...

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Should smoking ciggarettes be illegal?  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Aug 29 2004, 04:07 AM'] You're not too far off:

CCC 2290: "The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: The abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air".

Now, what constitutes excess? There are some who may be able to occasionally light up. There are some that if they were to try one they would be hooked. And there are some people who have family histories of heart disease or cancer (I have BOTH) for which, in my opinion, even ONE cigarette would constitute excess. [/quote]
Tobacco is a drug, just like dope, coke etc. You have complete free will to choose whether or not to start smoking, if you choose to smoke, then you commit a mortal sin, however i dont think the Church states this.

[quote name='MC Just' date='Aug 29 2004, 04:09 AM'] i chose yes because those who smoke are killing people who are around them. I might as well say I had a ciggarette in my mouth while i was in the womb. My mother and father smoked so mucht the whole house was yellow. [/quote]
Ditto!

Its subtle murder.

[quote name='mattosika' date='Aug 29 2004, 09:14 AM'] No matter how much i'de like it to be illegal(i'm higly allergic, was sent to the hospital after trying 1 puff of a cig), there is no way that they (cops/government) could enforce such a law. [/quote]
$9-10B a year gone?? No way

Laudate_Dominum

as long as you're bashing cigarettes in particular and not all tobacco.

Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassatti, pray for us!
[img]http://lubelska.republika.pl/frassatti/Monvisob.jpg[/img]

I'll never smoke. I need my cardiovascular system as strong as possible. But if inhaling smokey air is your bag, more power to ya!

Personally I do not believe in smoking, but I think that each person has a right to make his/her decision and choose to smoke or not to smoke.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Pete-ster' date='Aug 29 2004, 03:21 AM'] I'll never smoke. I need my cardiovascular system as strong as possible. But if inhaling smokey air is your bag, more power to ya! [/quote]
that's the beauty of the pipe, you don't inhale! :D

toledo_jesus

cigarettes are a terrible way to smoke. they stink, they have a number of disgusting additives that increase addiction, and they are pretty expensive!
However, pipes smell good, you can't just duck outside to have a pipe every hour, and pipe tobacco will last you because you aren't consuming it so often.
In short, pipes are good, cigs are bad.
George Burns smoked a cigar pretty much all the time and he lived to 100.
Here's another interesting point: I don't want to live to be 100. I am not concerned with a long life because to me it's just more time to get in trouble. Not that I'm going to engage in destructive behavior, but I just don't see the appeal of living to be so old.

[quote name='MorphRC' date='Aug 29 2004, 02:05 AM'] Tobacco is a drug, just like dope, coke etc. You have complete free will to choose whether or not to start smoking, if you choose to smoke, then you commit a mortal sin, however i dont think the Church states this. [/quote]
No the Church doesn't even state it's a sin. Excess smoking may be considered a venial sin, or even mortal depending on state of health, but there's no way to measure this. I guess it depends on the conscious of the believer.

As for the poll, I am an occasional part-time social smoker, but if laws were introduced to ban cigerettes I wouldn't oppose it. However, such a thing will never happen.

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Aug 30 2004, 12:31 AM'] No the Church doesn't even state it's a sin. Excess smoking may be considered a venial sin, or even mortal depending on state of health, but there's no way to measure this. I guess it depends on the conscious of the believer.

As for the poll, I am an occasional part-time social smoker, but if laws were introduced to ban cigerettes I wouldn't oppose it. However, such a thing will never happen. [/quote]
That stumps me, dope is a mortal sin, but tobacco aint? <_<

JMJ

Pio Nono, whilst answering a question on the Q & A board, also answered this one. Anything becomes grave matter (a prerequist for mortal sin) once it becomes addiction.

Making it illegal would drive people away from it. Yes, it should be illegal.

God bless,

Mikey