An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayer

Paladin D

Half the time I pray these days, I feel I'm not actually praying.

For example, if I'm reading a prayer from something...I feel that I'm just reciting it, and not actually praying. :( I also noticed how, a lot of the Catholic prayers are more "plural" based than actually "singular".

I mean, I try keeping my focus...but at times I feel I'm just talking to myself. Any tips on praying? Sorry for being so vague :( .

That is what they refer to as a feeling of "aridity" (sp?). Many of the Saints felt that way (that they were along... or that God wasn't listenting). So you're in good company. Many times (they say) it is God testing you (for your benefit of course) to improve your pacience, endurance, devotion, and LOVE of He that is ALWAYS listening. ;)

I guess part of it could be, is that a lot of prayers are "Plural". I'm just not used to that, since how I was taught...it was more "Singular", with a mention of others though.

In time I'll adjust.

I'm not sure I follow..

Do you have an example.

What do you mean our prayers are "plural". Like, "we pray to the Lord". Or "Lord hear our prayers". Or do you mean more like Catholic's pray for others more instead of just themselves?

I guess in general, to answer this... While for protestants its more like everyman for himself, although they CAN (if the want) ask help from others (and generally speaking only from the part of the Body of Christ that are ON EARTH)... Catholics are more like, one for all and all for one! We NEVER are centered on self, we are centered on Church. We know we cannot make it alone, we need everyone of the members of the Body of Christ! That means, those on earth, those in Purgatory, and those in Heaven.

I think that is why our life is so rich. Because even our suffering can benefit others (like in purgatory)! And we are sustained and cheered on by the Church triumfant in Heaven!

Catholics are fam! And Catholic Phatmassers are Pham!

I'm not sure I follow..

Do you have an example. 

What do you mean our prayers are "plural".  Like, "we pray to the Lord".  Or "Lord hear our prayers".

You are correct. Nothing wrong with that at all, I'm just not used to it. But I'm trying, and making the adjustment.

Cool!

I will offer my day (all the sufferings and joys) for the intention of your adjustment!

;)

Stupid question: How do you do that? I mean, how does one actually "offer" a day, and what is the good in it? It sounds, well, interesting and if you could, would you mind explaining?

Thy Geekdom Come

I know the feeling. When you say a prayer and ask yourself afterwards, "what did I just say?"

It's normal. I like to think that the devil is trying to make us feel guilty for something that isn't our fault, thinking that we'll blame ourselves and fall away from the Church.

A good prayer life takes time. I'm not there yet (I would say that few, if any, are), I often space off.

I have learned a few tips, though:

1. It is good practice when in group prayer to recite (mentally) whatever is being read or prayed (like at Mass, it is good to recite the Gospel to yourself, offset by maybe a couple seconds from the priest or deacon...though it's not a good idea to say the Eucharistic prayer with the priest...)

2. When I pray the Liturgy of the Hours (which I have only done since the beginning of summer, but I highly recommend it), I recite (mentally) each line of the psalms in the brief pause between lines.

3. Going to Eucharistic Adoration and Benediction, along with regular confession, can work wonders for the soul. My college has "Holy Hour" every Friday night with these and it really helps.

4. Sit down and study the meaning of each line of the prayers you normally use. This will give you a greater appreciation for them.

5. Get in the habit of praying regularly, i.e. before each meal, when you wake up (but are conscious enough to know that you are praying), when you go to sleep, when you are about to take a test, etc.

In Pace Christi,

Raphael

Thy Geekdom Come

Stupid question: How do you do that? I mean, how does one actually "offer" a day, and what is the good in it? It sounds, well, interesting and if you could, would you mind explaining?

It's an old idea in Catholicism that a person can take whatever merits that their suffering and labors would gain them and let that grace go to another cause in their place, so that someone else, perhaps who needs it more, might benefit.

Paladin,

You ask "How do I know if I'm really praying?". :huh:

Basically, you are asking if God is hearing you and if your are speaking to Him as you should. This is a good question, and one that is specifically answered by Paul to the Romans. ;)

In the same way, the Spirit too comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself intercedes with inexpressible groanings. (Romans 8:26)

Yes He always hears us, and the Holy Spirit helps our prayers and overcomes our weakness, which may be doubts based on feelings of "aridity" or just feelings of inadequacey. :(

You are praying! Keep it up! :)

Edited by jasJis

If you're talking to God, you're praying.

Pray from your heart. You don't have to pray recited/liturgical prayers. Just tell God what's on your heart.

That's fairly simple, eh?

Remember as Catholics we are members of the Body of Christ: the Church Trumphant in heaven who is praying for us, the Church Suffering who need prayed for, the Church Militant (us) who prays for everybody.

Jesus formed Christianity as a community, not individual christians. One Faith, one baptism, one people of God.

So we pray the "Our " Father.

Not a stupid question at all...

Raphael answered quite nicely. :)

I would just add:

It isn't just an "old idea" (though I think I know what you meant). It is an apostolic idea! And it continues to benefit the Body of Christ today.

That is what is so unique about Catholicism, as apposed to Protestant denoms. We are ONE body in Christ. If you need help, even if you are in a different state all together, I can offer my spiritual gains / struggles as a means to strengthen you!

It really is a prayer. We ask God to not give us the benefit of our struggles and success. We ask Him instead to use the graces that we merit, as Raphael stated, for the benefit of someone who might need it more.

Furthermore, this is not simply effective on earth. We can offer our sufferings, etc. for the benefit of those in Purgatory!

We are a team! Any goal we score goes for the team, not just ourselves.

If that didn't answer your question, please let us know. I will try to explain it better (or maybe I can search for a better explenation ;) )

If you're talking to God, you're praying.

Pray from your heart. You don't have to pray recited/liturgical prayers. Just tell God what's on your heart.

That's fairly simple, eh?

Good point Joolye. Nor do you have to just pray from the heart, especially if you are feeling distracted or stressed and can't seem to find what's in your heart. That's what "recited/liturgical" prayers are for. That's why Jesus gave the example of the 'Our Father' prayer when the Apostles asked Jesus to teach them how to pray.

Another great source are the Psalms. They are all basically prayers from the perspective of various human emotions such as thanks giving, mourning, needing compfort, joy, etc. We are not all alone with God. He sees us each individually, but also as a flock helping each other.

ryanmeyersmusic

That is what is so unique about Catholicism, as apposed to Protestant denoms.  We are ONE body in Christ.  If you need help, even if you are in a different state all together, I can offer my spiritual gains / struggles as a means to strengthen you!

Protestants are able to pray in all the same fashions that Catholics are. It's just that often they don't take advantage of the many methods of prayer and tend to focus on conversational or meditative prayer.

Just thought that I'd throw that out there to avoid confusion.