An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayer

Paladin D

Yeah Jake & Raphael that does clear things up a lot; just one last thing - how exactly do you "offer" it?

When bad things happen, is there something you are supposed to do? Do you just go through the day and say, "well that really sucked but now somebody benefeits?" :) I'm still a little bit unsure...

Yeah Jake & Raphael that does clear things up a lot; just one last thing - how exactly do you "offer" it?

When bad things happen, is there something you are supposed to do?  Do you just go through the day and say, "well that really sucked but now somebody benefeits?" :)  I'm still a little bit unsure...

Pretty much...

Well, there is no formula. Most people say, well that day sucked, and they leave it at that. There "sucky" day, then, really didn't do anyone good. I usually say at the start of my morning, "Lord I offer this day up for ------". That way, the Lord is clear of my intention to offer any sufferings I may endure united with Him on the Cross for the benefit of others. It is the intention to offer that is all that's required. If you retain your suffering and seperate it from Christ's passion, it cannot be used to benefit the Body of Christ, His Bride.

Let nothing you endure (or on the opposite - enjoy) go to waste!

Go team, Go!

Protestants are able to pray in all the same fashions that Catholics are.  It's just that often they don't take advantage of the many methods of prayer and tend to focus on conversational or meditative prayer.

Just thought that I'd throw that out there to avoid confusion.

We must remember that protestants do not have the benefit of the Mass, which is an act of worship. THey also do not have the Office, Rosary, Litanies, or any of the other great prayers of the Church. They usually do not pray the psalms either.

So they are left with just general conversation with God, with is an excellent thing, but limited.

Its a pity to miss out on 2000 years of great and glorious prayers.

littleflower+JMJ

instead of grimping, you are silent.

instead of screaming when you slam the trunk door on your finger (happened to my sister) you didn't say anything bad, didn't cry, but you said, "for the souls in purgatory"

whenever in pain, sick, etc. offer it to God by allowing Him to know that you want to offer up to the souls in purgatory rather than dwell in it.

i hit myself one time and almost cried but instead of yelling, i held it in and offered it to the souls in purgatory.

thats what i do.

When bad things happen, is there something you are supposed to do?  Do you just go through the day and say, "well that really sucked but now somebody benefeits?" :)  I'm still a little bit unsure...

Every morning, I make a morning offering..

Oh Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart, the salvation of souls, reparation for sin, and the reunion of all Christians. I offer them for the intentions of our bishops, and in particular for the intentions of our Holy Father.

All for the Immaculata,

Katrina

I've had the same dilemma for a long time. But I have discovered in my own way that each person has their own way of praying. Everyone needs to find the way that works for them. I find it is easiest if I imagine God as a parent, Mary as a mother and Jesus as a friend--I speak to them conversationally and reverently, as members of a family, quietly and patiently listening to me.

I also happen to pray to St. Therese pretty often; it helps me if I think of her as a wiser older sibling. (She was only two years older than myself when she died, and I have never had an older sibling. I suppose this makes it a little easier for me to imagine.)

It is nice to feel that these holy beings are always sitting on your shoulder, helping you out and being with you all your days! It also happens to make the occasions of sin more painful... it really does make me a lot more conscious of my actions. It is almost as if I can feel Jesus and Mary's suffering when I sin, since they are close to me. :(

I pray that the Lord leads you to the best way to speak with him--He will never lead you in the wrong direction!

pax Christi

~TF~

I recommend the Liturgy of the Hours -- at least Morning and Evening Prayer. And Night Prayer is great too. And meditate! Try and read the daily Mass readings or a meditation book like "In Conversation With God" or "Divine Intimacy" and then take the time to really think about what you've read and talk to God about it and let Him answer. Of course, meditating by praying the rosary is a wonderful form of meditation too. I can't recommend that enough.

REad the psalms, they are 150 prayers to God.

THere are happy ones, repentant ones, mad ones. You can always find one to match you mood.

littleflower+JMJ

THIS IS YOUR HEAVENLY TELEPHONE FIELD DIRECTORY

EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS

When in sorrow, call John 14.

When men fail you, call Psalm 27.

If you want to be fruitful, call John 15

When you have sinned, call Psalm 51

When you worry, call Mathew 6:19-34

When you are in danger, call Psam 91

When God seems far away, call Psalm 139

When your faith needs stirring, call Hebrews 11.

When you are lonely and fearful, call Psalm 23

When you grow bitter and criticial, call I Corinthians 13

For Paul's Secret to happiness, call Colossians 3:12-17

For understanding of Christianity, call II Corinthians 5:15-19

When you feel down and out, call Romans 8:31

When you want peace and rest, call Matthew 11:25-30

When the world seems bigger than God, call Psalm 90

When you want Christian assurance, call Romans 8:1-30

When you leave home for labor or travel, call Psalm 121

When your prayers grow narrow or selfish, call Psalm 67

For a great invention/opportunity, call Isaiah 55

When you want courage for a task, call Joshua 1

For how to get along with fellow man, call Romans 12

When you think of investments and returns, call Mark 10

If you are depressed, call Psalm 27

If your pocketbook is empty, call Psalm 37

If you are losing confidence in people, call I Corinthians 13

If people seem unkind, call John 15

If discouraged about your work, call Psalm 126

If you find the world growing small and yourself great, call Psalm 19

ALTERNATE NUMBERS:

For Dealing with Fear, call Psalm 34:7

For security, call Psalm 12:13

For assurance, call Mark 8:35

For reassurance, call Psalm 145:18

Emergency numbers may be dialed direct.

NO operator assistance is necessary.

All lines to Heaven are open 24 hours a day!

Feed your health, and doubt will starve to death

littleflower+JMJ

Wow flowery, I gotta print that and put it on my wall over my desk next to my "real" phone numbers. Thanks bunches! ^_^

~TF~

your welcome ThereseFlower and the others!

no prob bob! my pleasure!

B)

If you get a chance, buy the Raccolta... it's a book of prayers, some of the most beautiful prayers... I keep mine in my truck: http://store.yahoo.com/christtheking/raccolta.html

Just keep at it.... with prayer, sometimes it won't feel like you're praying, other times it will... our feelings shift... just keep praying... you always are praying when communicating with our family in Heaven, be it God the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit, Our Mother, or brother's and sisters in Christ... remember; they're praying for you and with you... you're never alone... and most of all, don't ever forget your guardian angel, the one who God appointed to watch over you, ask him to help you pray... your prayers will be fruitful, even when you don't know it....

http://www.catholic.org/clife/prayers/

http://www.webdesk.com/catholic/prayers/

http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/prayers.htm

Remember when praying to meditate on the prayers, and if your praying with the saints, try to call to mind what about them made them saints, the love they had for others - putting others before themselves... following Christ to the end...

Also, God knows what you need and want, many people make the mistake of praying only for their own needs... we must pray for others... Remember how Jesus would pray all night, that's what we should shoot for... A great example of prayer would be a friar named Padre Pio.... he was a man that became prayer... A man that had conversations with Christ & Mary... a man that actually got to see them.... A man with the stigmata... A man the devil could not tempt... A man that had an intimate relationship with those in Heaven, and his gaurdian angel... A man that could see into our souls.... Truely blessed... A man that saw Christ in all, and treated all with love....

God Bless, Love in Christ & Mary,

ironmonk