An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thomas A Kempis

dUSt

God Conquers

No, the coffin scratches thing is what I have heard as well....

It indicates that he was buried alive, yes, but it also indicates that he was pretty committed to getting out... ie not resigned to his fate.

I'm pretty sure that kind of paperwork does not get lost.... Thomas A Kemps is universally admired as a holy and devout man through his writiings. But this doesn't make you a saint.

I'd be shocked if there were never a cause for his sainthood... I'm quite sure the buried alive thing wrecks it.

Mickey's_Girl

So you're telling me, in regards to being "resigned to one's fate," that if you get washed overboard a ship, you're not supposed to try to stay afloat so as to be rescued? Perhaps TaK was trying to open the casket, failed, and THEN said, "Okay, thy will be done."

:rolleyes:

MG

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Apr 17 2005, 08:05 PM'] I'm pretty sure that kind of paperwork does not get lost.... [/quote]
Hehe... I didn't mean lost in Vatican paperwork completely in the literal sense.
I meant maybe the Church had other things to attend to. I reckon they did. ;)

• 2 months later...
son_of_angels

The problem with making someone a saint around whom such a legend is attached is the uncertainty of it all.

BUT his book his absolutely wonderful. I bet he just hacked off a cardinal in the Congregation for the Causes of Saints at some point, and that cardinal blocked it. Ah well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

St. Therese memorized the whole Imitation around the age of 9. Her family members would quiz her too...they would open to a section, tell her the Chapter or section title, and she would recite it. Anywhere in the book! Isn't my sister Therese amazing? :)

photosynthesis

[quote name='dUSt' date='Sep 2 2004, 07:17 PM']Woa. I found this on a website. Very disturbing...

[i]"I had also always wondered why nobody had canonised Thomas à Kempis, author of the Imitation of Christ, which has inspired so many and a copy of which Pope John Paul I was allegedly holding when he was found dead.  Well, here was the gruesome answer.  Apparently when his coffin was opened for formal identification of the remains at the beginning of the process, he was found to be holding clumps of his own hair tightly in his hands.  It seems he must have been buried while in a coma, and not dead, and would have woken up to find himself buried alive.  The clumps of hair suggested he might have succumbed to despair, which of course would bar him from sainthood.  It seems the case was just dropped at that point and never revived."[/i]
[right][snapback]339021[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That seems a little insensitive. I think if I went into a coma and awoke in a coffin 6 feet under I'd be tearing my hair out too. and I LOVE my hair. Tearing out one's hair and being frustrated does not necessarily suggest that they are in a spiritual state of despair.

Guest Eremite

[quote]"I had also always wondered why nobody had canonised Thomas à Kempis, author of the Imitation of Christ, which has inspired so many and a copy of which Pope John Paul I was allegedly holding when he was found dead.  Well, here was the gruesome answer.  Apparently when his coffin was opened for formal identification of the remains at the beginning of the process, he was found to be holding clumps of his own hair tightly in his hands.  It seems he must have been buried while in a coma, and not dead, and would have woken up to find himself buried alive.  The clumps of hair suggested he might have succumbed to despair, which of course would bar him from sainthood.  It seems the case was just dropped at that point and never revived."
[/quote]

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. :lol: