An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thomas A Kempis

dUSt

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='dUSt' date='Sep 2 2004, 06:56 PM'] Hmmm... Let's get him canonized. [/quote]
Very well.

I'll prepare the canon...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='thedude' date='Sep 2 2004, 09:01 PM'] What is "succombing to despair"? [/quote]
It means that he gave in to despair, which is essentially giving up on God and losing all hope.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Raphael' date='Sep 2 2004, 08:02 PM'] It means that he gave in to despair, which is essentially giving up on God and losing all hope. [/quote]
Isn't it human nature to assume that if you've been buried alive, you're number's up? I mean, I don't think that he WILLFULLY gave into despare, doubted God or anything. Sheee... the guy was six feet under, he panicked...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 2 2004, 09:13 PM'] Isn't it human nature to assume that if you've been buried alive, you're number's up? I mean, I don't think that he WILLFULLY gave into despare, doubted God or anything. Sheee... the guy was six feet under, he panicked... [/quote]
No...he could hope that God would rescue him or he could despair that God didn't. Neither of them means that God would have to rescue him.

Despair could also mean that he refused to carry the Cross of it, which would be comparable to if St. Maximilian Kolbe had been in the ovens and allowed the pain to overwhelm him into giving up. It's essentially a refusal of God's grace to last through it and offer it up, but rather, to desire death soon and despair in the pain. It's really quite illogical.

This is one of the things I fear...if I were being martyred, would I hold out by God's grace or would I refuse it out of my pain. Since I believe persecution is coming with the way our culture is going, I want to prepare myself with God for anything.

homeschoolmom

So, what you're saying is if I find myself buried alive, I cannot get claustraphobic, panic, pull out my hair and wish that God would have mercy on me and let me die? I must patiently take a deep breath, twiddle my thumbs and pray. If not, I'm commiting a mortal sin and doomed to hell.

theculturewarrior

My understanding is that final despair is to doubt that God's Mercy is bigger than your sins.

I must reiterate from my post above, it appears that it was internet fiction and Kempis was never doubted to have died a happy death.

It is important not to give into scrupulosity. God's not going to send you to hell on a technicality. But pray for a happy death. :)

[quote]Edgar Allen Poe had a morbid fascination with this sort of stuff. Apparently, it was quite common to be buried alive. [/quote]

The term Saved by the bell comes from people being buried alive. They use to attack a string with bell their finger so if they awoke they could ring it.

Interesting ey'