An Old School Catholic Message Board

Premarital Sex

Dave

hey im back..

don't forget that God forgives people that make mistakes.

that's a huge problem with all Christians...all denoms...

they kick up such a fuss about making sure that you keep pure and do everything right and blah blah blah...

but, In general, they forget that some people haven't lived so perfectly and some people have made mistakes and they unintentionaly make these people feel so dirty and guilty.

Be careful.

My response to her would have been "Says who????" When did God ever say that it was OK? Let's all review the definition of the word "sacrament" - ALL TOGETHER NOW....
Norseman and GodConquers,

That's what I was saying in my post...the problem is that she didn't share our definition of a sacrament. Just like communion was just a remembrance for her, a marriage was just an empty ceremony.

QUOTE (morostheos @ Sep 21 2003, 12:37 PM)

The problem with Protestant Christianity is they have separated the physical from the spiritual, so the actual marriage ceremony is left as an empty ritual rather than a sacrament bestowed upon them by God.  So for my friend, it seemed pointless to her to wait until the end of a ritual, because there was nothing special about the sacrament itself.  How sad. sad.gif

Hey! Ho! Stop the Bus! What? blink.gif sad.gif mad.gif

Reformation,

I'm sorry, I was too general, it is inaccurate to say all protestants believe that. Some protestants do believe that though, it seems to be very prevalent among my protestant friends.

In Christ,

Claire

hey im back..

don't forget that God forgives people that make mistakes.

that's a huge problem with all Christians...all denoms...

they kick up such a fuss about making sure that you keep pure and do everything right and blah blah blah...

but, In general, they forget that some people haven't lived so perfectly and some people have made mistakes and they unintentionaly make these people feel so dirty and guilty.

Be careful.

Not for CAtholics - we have confession.

amesome man, keep it up too!

I'm gonna do the same thing actually, and have gotten the same EXACT response. Yet again...how do they get expierence anyway? Of course they sleep around, but there must be a first time.

But that's what marriage is for!

I'm 22 and still a virgin!

And like so many other virgins, I get the "Why?" along with the strange looks.

However, I also get proposititions. :angry:

'Tis strange, though, for the longest time I was like "Well, I'm waiting for marriage, but I know this society is so over sexed that my husband might not be a virgin, and I don't mind". But then one Catholic young man, a virgin, told me I deserve to have another virgin and I shouldn't sell myself short and you know what, he's beaver dam right!

But for a while, I also wasn't sure if I wanted to wait till marriage, but it's weird, you know, you go through an experience where it's almost taken from you and then you realise how precious it is.

I'm actually kinda proud of being a virgin actually! [not the sinful kind of proud, however] :D

That's a great thing, Chas. ^_^ I'm 22 and a virgin as well. I've also had the same problems that go along with being a virgin (rudeness as well as propositions and other assorted condescension).

It is really hard in those times when you don't feel socially accepted not to feel bad about yourself! (At least it has been for me--maybe I'm just way sensitive.) But the way I get around that is by reminding myself that everything people say and do is a reflection on their character (or lack thereof) and that I don't need to have sex to prove a darn thing to anyone!

I don't believe it is bad to be proud, hon. I think it is only sinful when we hurt other people and are not being honest with ourselves. Being prideful is one thing--having self-esteem and feeling good about yourself are others!

keep da faith,

~TF~

oh then its ok...

*rolls eyes*

Of course it is not ok

But you keep harping about people making mistakes..

we all sin, but we repent confess and are absolved, do penance and try again.

You seem to keep forgetting that part.

Saints are sinners who keep on trying.

God demands perfection but is happy with any effort to get there.

Well then, what constitutes a "true" Christian?  A Christian is someone who is baptized, even if they don't live their faith.  Such a person would be a nominal Christian, but they wouldn't be a pagan.

Just because you are baptized, it doesn't mean you are Christian. Repentance and belief come first. And after salvation, we are COMMANDED to live a life that shows our repentance. You can tell me all you want about how much of a Christian you are, but it doesn't mean a thing until you live it. I can point to both 'Catholic' and 'Protestant' examples of people using the Bible to justify their sin. But the fact remains, IF YOU ARE LIVING A LIFE OF SIN, YOU'RE NOT SAVED. You cannot be a Christian and live in sin. Period! End of discussion. You can't.

Baptism is entrance into the Kingdom of God. It marks your soul permanently.

You are a christian.

Original sin is wiped away as well as any personal sins you may have committed ( if you are old enough to have committed any)

You can los this justification before God, if you sin after baptism.

'Tis strange, though, for the longest time I was like "Well, I'm waiting for marriage, but I know this society is so over sexed that my husband might not be a virgin, and I don't mind". But then one Catholic young man, a virgin, told me I deserve to have another virgin and I shouldn't sell myself short and you know what, he's **** right!

That is so refreshing to hear!! Yes, you are giving 100% of yourself - you deserve 100% in return! That is one of the few weak spots of the chastity movement - some in it think that you are expecting too much if you want 100% in return for the 100% you are giving or are otherwise have a "Ralph Kramden moment " ("hummina hummina hummina") or make you feel like an unforgiving lout. You have my total backup on this one!!!!!!

Besides, if you look at it from another angle, for a virgin to reject another virgin sends out a message saying "It really pays more to not be a virgin, as I am rewarding a non-virgin instead of a virgin". When one sends out s signal that it pays more to sin, that is a form of scandal.

Edited by Norseman82