An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sex Education And Pandora’s Box

Cure of Ars

The problem with sex education in public schools is not that they teach too much but that they do not teach enough. Children are taught the plumbing of sex, (insert tab A into slot C), but that is it. They do not dive into the more essential issue of what does sexual intercourse mean and what is its purpose. They teach a limited biological view that reduces our sexuality to something all mammals do instead of a fully human, marital and covenantal act. Because of this our kids are getting hurt and it will lead to weak marriages and families and ultimately further contribute to the culture of death. Sex in its truest expression is an act of love. It is a laying down one’s life for the other in the context of Marriage (Eph 5:25). Public schools have opened Pandora’s box when it comes to sex education and the only thing that can save it is if they let God out as well. And this is the one thing they will not do.

Edited by Cure of Ars

I don't think it's very fair to make sweeping remarks about sex education in ALL public schools though. In my public school, while they couldn't say that sex outside of marriage was wrong, they emphasized the fact that a physical and emotional bond is created between two people when they have sex, and to create that bond with many people other than those you are spending your entire life with may be dangerous to your mental health.

We were also taught about all the different methods of contraception, but they emphasized that the only method that was 100% effective was abstinence.

I think the best piece of wisdom came from the maintenance man at our Newman Center who said he told his son that "If you want to stay out of trouble, keep your mouth closed and your zipper closed".

Norseman, where was your Newman Center at?

University of Illinois at Chicago. In fact, it is called the John Paul II Catholic Students' center! (Of course I was there years ago and haven't been back to visit...)

I don't think it's very fair to make sweeping remarks about sex education in ALL public schools though.  In my public school, while they couldn't say that sex outside of marriage was wrong, they emphasized the fact that a physical and emotional bond is created between two people when they have sex, and to create that bond with many people other than those you are spending your entire life with may be dangerous to your mental health.

We were also taught about all the different methods of contraception, but they emphasized that the only method that was 100% effective was abstinence.

To even add the emotional component is not enough in my opinion. And it is concerning to me that it is ok to teach contraception but you can't say that sex outside of marriage is wrong. The whole thing is upside down. I think that if they cannot teach the full meaning than they should just leave to those who can because it causes more harm than good. At the very least it is slanting the concept of sexuality to something less than what it really is and this is hurtful to our children.

littleflower+JMJ

THIS IS SO TRUE CURE!!

last year i had to take a family class during my senior year (those darn electives!)

and one of the lessons was "Contraceptives" (my teacher was excited to let us know of all THE COOl things that have came out that we can use!!! *note deep sarcasm*) and i was so angry at what they were doing. i had it out with the teacher during that "presentation" i felt like throwing up really (showing us how to use a condom! icon8.gif) i had it out saying how its abortificent (the shots,etc.), and all that other trash. how this "familyclass" was not teaching us to have a family rather to be anti -family. how not to have a family, how to not have children.

the teacher didnt have an answer for me but i know i got my mesage across.

never once did they say that you were special, worth waiting for, that your sexuality was sacred and a gift . they just showed what you did if you decided to have sex

they're lying to the kids, their misguiding the kids, they're treating them like if their animals and can't control themselves.

they're doing things all wrong and they don't care about the students.

contraception is all a economical business, something that they use off of the expense of us in order to have thriving business with cash $$$.

it makes me sick! it really does....

okay thats it. no one get in my way right now!

*jmj storms out with a burning torch ready to go hunt for some safe-sex textbooks to burn*

:o:o

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

+JMJ

I agree wholeheartedly with you Cure. It's not sex education that's wrong, but the KIND of sex education being provided, the lack of real information about not only the side effects of contraception but the importance of LOVE, SACRIFICE, RESPECT and SANCTITY.

I have a question for public schoolers. At my private Catholic school, they teach abstinence. My friend once said they were teaching abstinence at public schools, but I don't think she knows that for sure because she's gone to Catholic school all her life. So my question is: Do they teach abstinence at public schools or just "safe sex"?

-Mark

littleflower+JMJ

I have a question for public schoolers. At my private Catholic school, they teach abstinence. My friend once said they were teaching abstinence at public schools, but I don't think she knows that for sure because she's gone to Catholic school all her life. So my question is: Do they teach abstinence at public schools or just "safe sex"?

-Mark

well in their books "safe-sex ed" is "successful"

they believe that the teens today are not capable of being abstience and don't even try to tell them to do so.

they think, "their going to do it anyways might as well educated them to be "safe""

they think that teens today can't control themselves or something

when infact they want to hear the truth.

adn they wonder why theres so many teen pregancies, if you give them a green light to do whatever you want, and make sex sound like "a walk in the park"

teens today deserve to know and hear the truth

and most importantly a "challenge" of chasity.

my school tries to teach abstience but we also have the highest teen pregancy stats but then again its all lacking God.

theres two sides to every coin, adn believe me they don't tell you the other side

Public schools can emphasize abstinence very strongly, but they will also continue to teach methods of contraception. Whether or not contraception methods are encouraged or simply described depends on the individual school district. In my school district, I believe that " LOVE, SACRIFICE, RESPECT and SANCTITY" were taught to the full extent possible in a secular context.

And it is concerning to me that it is ok to teach contraception but you can't say that sex outside of marriage is wrong. The whole thing is upside down. I think that if they cannot teach the full meaning than they should just leave to those who can because it causes more harm than good. At the very least it is slanting the concept of sexuality to something less than what it really is and this is hurtful to our children.

I don't think it's very fair to expect public schools to teach a Catholic standpoint on sexuality. That is not the purpose of public schools, and they must cater to all faiths and beliefs. Don't you think it's the responsibility of the church to teach Catholic sexuality?? I'm not sure about other states, but in Virginia, before taking any classes on sex ed, your parents have to sign a permission slip before you take the class, and there is a night that the teachers present the curriculum to the parents so the parents know exactly what their children will be learning if they take the class.

littleflower+JMJ

public schools are not fair and they'lll never be, they don't care about your soul

they just care whether or not your "educated" which is sad. :(

if they have to talk about contrceptives at least talk about the evil of it. and its evil that all dirty little secrets, if ppl only knew. if ppl knew how contraceptives came about they wouldn't use it.

and if they can't say it belongs in marriage then everything they taught goes down the drain becuase thats why theres STDs, no one is keeping it in marriage (you don't have to be catholic to get married )

even having two partners in your whole life time, you can get infected with stds. but they said, It should only be shared with that special someone, as kids your always falling for false feeligns and what-not.

until they teach that its a gift, only to be given away when you have a ring on your finger then we are never be able to move forward

and that is not a catholic point of view, its the logical point of view.

and untill they challenge the kids, things will not get better

but they can't seem to do that, not anytime soon at least.

maybe moro, things are great in your school and thats a blessing to have, not all of us are able to have that. your are the elite few who are, and thats what we're talking about. the fact is its not like that overall and thats our point, i bet there are rarely any schools trying to sincerely teach abstinence. in my college class (im going to be a teacher so we're studying the whole school system) they mention how the gov. is proud with how well the sex-ed classes are going! that they have proven themselves successful!

remember planned parenthood is the mastermind behind all the safe-sex classes.

their the enemy, public school and the gov. agree to use their tatics, making themselves guilty also. the kids are the ones being misguided.

and its not only the responsbility of the Church its our responsiblity, dont' forget that. if we see that all of america's kids are getting lied too, wouldn't you want to speak up? thats what we're suppose to do, and not accept it.

who knows' with Bush in office we might be seeign more abstinence programs and that would be music to my ears!

we just have to stand up for what is right and what is truth and never settle for less.

God bLEss!

+JMJ

Public schools can emphasize abstinence very strongly, but they will also continue to teach methods of contraception.  Whether or not contraception methods are encouraged or simply described depends on the individual school district.  In my school district, I believe that " LOVE, SACRIFICE, RESPECT and SANCTITY" were taught to the full extent possible in a secular context.

I don't think it's very fair to expect public schools to teach a Catholic standpoint on sexuality.  That is not the purpose of public schools, and they must cater to all faiths and beliefs.  Don't you think it's the responsibility of the church to teach Catholic sexuality?? I'm not sure about other states, but in Virginia, before taking any classes on sex ed, your parents have to sign a permission slip before you take the class, and there is a night that the teachers present the curriculum to the parents so the parents know exactly what their children will be learning if they take the class.

All I'm saying is that if they can't teach the truth about it, because it will offend someone, then they shouldn't teach it. Leave it up to parents and the faith community who do not have to sale out.

I have some questions that will show my point. What meaning is given to sexual intercourse in public schools? Is this not a fundamental question that needs to answered before the mechanics is taught? If no meaning is given, does it not be suggest that there really is no transcendent meaning to sex and that self-gratification is really the only meaning? Doesn’t this view that sex is only a type of recreation hurt the individual, marriage, families and society as a whole? God bless

Edited by Cure of Ars