An Old School Catholic Message Board

Over React

foundsheep

I allowed my son to spend the night at my sisters house. He is 8 years old and this year he will be making his first communion. :angry: Unbenounced to me my sister whom i thought was catholic took my son to a pentacostal church. My brother whom also attends that church called me and told me my sister had been "saved". I said well ok and hung up with him. I sat there and said wait a minute....my son was with her. I was livid because since he is going through his catachism and I didnt want any other influence on him at this time. Both siblings of mine knew this. Upon calling i requested my son be brought back home immediatly. When my sister arrived she told me that the catholic church was wrong. I simply told her that she really needed to reread the new testament and study it. I also let her know that when it came to her kids I would ask permission before I took them to anything involving something that I thought required thier approval. Did i over react to the situation? :(

Not at all! At that age, kids can be really impressionable. You're absolutely correct that they don't need anything confusing them. And it sounds to me like your sister wants to lead your family out of the Catholic Church if she takes your son to her church and then comes to your house and tells you the Catholic Church is wrong.

Well, I don't think you over-reacted. As a parent, it is your right to decide how your are going to raise you child. Which includes deciding how your son is going to be catechised. You are perfectly within your rights to insist that your son not attend this Pentecostal service.

littleflower+JMJ

you did not foundsheep. im' glad you did what you did. she knew what she was doing and thought she could. that clearly is crossing the line (more than likely she would have probably have used this oportunity to say something about the catholic church being wrong) because your son is young and doesn't need anything to confuse him at such a young age. a parent must always safeguard their children's true faith in the Catholic Church and thats what you did. great job found sheep, i will be praying for your sister.

Godbless!

+JMJ

:)

Sounded like you did just fine.

Also, sounds like it would be good to make sure that your kids are properly schooled in the faith... not forcing down their throat, but making it fun to learn the faith.

Also, I would ask your sister why she thinks the Catholic Church is wrong.

Then go from there with which path to take to help show her the Truth about Catholicism.

It would be very easy to rip apart all the basics of the church that she's going to, but instead of taking that route, clear up the misconceptions...

After you get those cleared up (which could take a long time), I would simply ask her "If they are so wrong about the Catholic Church when it's easy to find out what the Church teaches, how can you trust them with the salvation of your soul?"

Here are some websites that might help - Most of all, live your faith and be ready to explain the truth about the Catholic Church - if you don't know an answer, say that you'll get back to her, hop online and find it:

http://www.USCCB.org (Catechism on here)

http://www.ScriptureCatholic.com (Over 2000 bible verses explaining Catholicism)

http://www.Catholic.com

http://www.Catholic-Pages.com

http://www.MoralTruth.com

http://www.Catholicity.com (GREAT TAPES!)

And of course you can always ask her to come to this board to dialog...

God Bless,

ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

Dear Foundsheep,

Your sister did a great disservice to you and your children by attempting to undermine your authority as parent.

Doesn't she remember God's commandment: Honor thy father and mother?

I would instruct my children that Auntie is very messed up when it comes to matters about God. She needs a lot of prayer.

(My Mother-in-law once attempted to take my kids to a church with a "clown ministry." Right! If little kids are going to be entertained with clowns and balloons at the Church of So-and-So, aren't they going to be a bit tuned out to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass? <_< Yeah, I thought so, too. Thanks, but no thanks!)

So, another time, she offered to take the kids to Burger King, and they wound up at the Episcopal Church! She played the organ there, until my kids thought they were going to starve. She brought them home about 8 pm, and I had no way of tracking her and my children down! When they walked in the door, they exclaimed, "Oh, Mommy it was awful!"

Guess who never got another opportunity to take my kids out to lunch? ;)

Pax Christi. <><

I can see your point. I personally wouldn't mind my kids (not that I have any) going to mass with somebody, but if you've stated you dont' want them to go then that's a different story.

I used to go to mass with family members when they babysat me. I sort of thought it special because it was different and with special people, but yeah, if you're against it, then it's fair enough. You're the mum and you know what you want for your kids.

littleflower+JMJ

i think one needs to realize that their not the child's parents and they don't have any place confusing any child regardless.

im sure that sister knew very well that its not her place to do such a thing and she still did.

she should have asked for permission. without it she has no right to do what she did.

God bLess!

+JMJ

ReformationNow

i think one needs to realize that their not the child's parents and they don't have any place confusing any child regardless.

im sure that sister knew very well that its not her place to do such a thing and she still did.

she should have asked for permission. without it she has no right to do what she did.

God bLess!

+JMJ

True, but what was she supposed to do? Leave the 8 year old kid at home?

littleflower+JMJ

True, but what was she supposed to do? Leave the 8 year old kid at home?

the child's spiritual welfare should be on the first on her list for her to think about and confusion is one of the worst things someone can do to a child.

how hard is a simple phonecall?

also i think she had the intention of doing that from the very beginning when she came home and saying the catholic church was wrong.

who knows really? but the obvious facts and actions speak for themselves.

one needs to be more considerate towards the parent and the spiritual welfare of the child.

God bLess!

+JMJ

I think you did the right thing, and in no ways over reacted.

My parents never allowed my grandparents (Prespertarian sp?) take me to their services.