An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thomism Vs. Mollinism

Aloysius

Thomist soteriology does not deny free will.

In unconditionally electing people to salvation, God simply passes over the "unelect". Therefore, they beaver dam *themselves* by their own free choice.

As far as the "I" goes in my TULIP model, "intrinsically efficacious grace" God gives to all sufficient grace, by the merits of Jesus Christ on the cross, to come to Him, but only for the elect will it be made efficacious, i.e. only the Elect will act on that sufficient grace. Hence, the atonement is limited in the sense that it will only be efficacious for the Elect.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Predestination trounces all over the belief in free-will. What is the point of free will with predestination? What is the point of your life if you are condemned to hell before you were born?

Is it wrong to say that EVERYONE is pre-destined for salvation. Not like, pre-determined, but rather that God has offered that Destiny to everyone and it is open to everyone and we only have to cooperate with our Destiny to attain it . . .

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Destiny is defined as: A predetermined course of events considered as something beyond human power or control.

How can you cooperate with something that is going to happen anyways? This belief in predestination some of you defend is considered a heresy by Church. It was one of John Calvin's doctrines and is a doctrine of Jansenism. Jesus tells us we must work to achieve the Kingdom of Heaven.

i think the debate died

we all just stated our viewpoints and ICTHUS was ganged up on cause we were all like on the same side.

:rolleyes: i declare myself the winner of the debate! B)