An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey All You Teachers Out There....

emalouhow

cmotherofpirl brought to my attention that there are several teachers within the phatmass phamily, so I thought I'd just start this little thread to get to know some of you.

If you haven't read my check-in yet, I'm currently in my final year (YIPPIE!!! :lol: ) at the University of Southern Indiana majoring in Elementary education and getting an endorsement in Middle School math. I'm also tutoring for my seventh year (that's right...I said seventh...and I just love it :D ) This is starting off to be an interesting semester b/c it's my final semester of classes (next semester I student teach) and I am being bombarded by projects and busy work...which of course I keep putting off because I am experiencing a severe case of SENIORITIS!!! :wacko:

But I'd love to hear some words of wisdom and encouragement from all the teachers out there. ;)

And those of you who are teaching majors...I'd love to hear a holla from you!!

YAY for teachers!!!! :P

Greetings, emalouhow!!!!

How are you? it's great to see how much enthusiasm you have!!

Teaching is great because I was praying constantly throughout the day! :lol:

I'm done with student teaching and all that. It was fun, ALOT of work, but it was WONDERFUL!!!! We have started our graduate program already and it's amesome. Stay away from that Senioritis bug, it can be deadly! My sister is studying to teach math, she wants Junior High. My other sister and I are Reading Emphasis. We can teach grades 1-9.

I grew up hating Math, but our Education Classes to teach math were amesome! I like Math now, and I hope to get all my kids LOVING math and thinking critically in real situations. The Math Curse is a great Book!!!!! Look for it at your University Library or City library.

With the new TAKS test, it can be downright depressing with all the importance of "teaching to the test" but I'm curious to hear about your state. In college, of course the test is just a part of teaching, but the district kinda changes it to "teach the test". I just want to teach my kids how to think, and I love all the things I'm learning about teaching. How do they test? Texas is the TEST state, so I'd like to hear from you! (Hooray for Diffendoofer Day! is a great book!!!!)

Keep up the Good Work and St. John Bosco is the patron saint of teachers! St. Thomas Aquinas is the patron saint for students. ( I pray to both! ) ;)

P.S when I become a Full time teacher, i'm joining my little brothers in Taekwondo, I'll let my stress out POSITIVELY!!!! :P

Hey I'm also almost done with my undergrad. career. I'm majoring in theology at the University of St. Thomas in Houston and have my first job this Nov. teaching 11th and 12th graders biblical theology at a local parish. Only two semesters and two summer semesters left. I'll go to grad school and later go back for my doctoral degree.

By the way jmjtina, how did you get a movie for your avatar, i.e. what format is it and how do you do it? Sorry, I know I'm off topic here but I've been looking for help with mine like that. Thanks.

The Warrior

Edited by INRIWarrior3

ohhhhhh, i WISH i could major in theology! One of these days.......

My avatar? you like? So do I!!!! I went to lordoftherings.net and they have avatars online. just link in your avatar space in My controls.......am I making sense? :blink:

My sis did it for me.......flowery.

yes, I owe her <_<

Hey jmjtina and warrior,

Thanks so much for the replies!! It great to hear from other teachers and aspiring teachers.

I have to echo the frustration about "teaching to the test". In Indiana, we have the ISTEP test. It's given every year during the second and third week of September. It used to be that only grades 3,6,8, & 10 had to take it. Then, they made it a requirement that you must pass the ISTEP in order to graduate, and now they are going to start giving it to all grades 3-10. What a bunch of carp!! <_< So basically the teachers spend the first month of school "teaching to the test."

Indiana also has State Academic Standards for every grade in every subject that the teachers must meet. In each lesson, the teacher must show what Academic Standards they are meeting w/ that lesson :blink: (I would love to hear how many other states do this as well).

I just want to teach children to love learning, to love asking questions, exploration, and discovery. I want them to develop creativity, critical thinking, and problem solving skill. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

SHOUT OUT TO ALL THE OTHER TEACHERS OUT THERE!!!! I'd LOVE to hear from you!!

Emily :D

PS Hooray for Diffendoofer Day IS a great book!!!

littleflower+JMJ

hello hello

is this the amesome teacher thread?

call me crazy! call me looney! call me what ever you want!

because yes i am going to be a teacher.

yes i know i'm goign to be a poor mouse because of it.

but i love children and thats all that matters! amen?

hehe

i plan to get my elementary education and teach middle school math!

whoo hoo!!

go teachers!!!

+JMJ

B) B) B) B)

Thanks for the blessings Cure (b/c boy do we need them)!!

I'm glad to see you found us littleflower! I definitely know what you mean about not being in teaching for the money (summer and Christmas break, but not money....hehe...just kidding ;) ) It's a good thing that you love what you're doing because it's the teachers who love what they do that make a difference!!!

:D :D :D (I just love that smiley face....big cheesy smile)

By the way littleflower, how much more school do you have to go? And where do you go to school?

Hey I'm also almost done with my undergrad. career.  I'm majoring in theology at the University of St. Thomas in Houston and have my first job this Nov. teaching 11th and 12th graders biblical theology at a local parish.  Only two semesters and two summer semesters left.  I'll go to grad school and later go back for my doctoral degree.

By the way jmjtina, how did you get a movie for your avatar, i.e. what format is it and how do you do it?  Sorry, I know I'm off topic here but I've been looking for help with mine like that.  Thanks.

The Warrior

What? Formal education in theology?

You need to post here more! We've only got a few of ya'll and we eventually annoy them until they leave. We need fresh meat, I mean blood,

I mean fresh blood.

No, no, like, ummm... refreshing the gene pool! Yeah, that's the ticket!

littleflower+JMJ

by the way littleflower, how much more school do you have to go?  And where do you go to school?

well you see im' a freshman this year, this is my first semester and im taking 17 hours.

i should be able (im going to pray and work for it) to graduate in three years though.

im going to school at a very humble but very good (and hard) community college not to far from home. its been really good, i like the school and all.

the only problem is all those hard classes!!

:D i'm tryign to finish after this year it should all be gravy baby! :D

and jasjis is right.

can you teach us a online theology class? if so sign me up!!!!

God BLess!!

+JMJ

littleflower+JMJ

congrats Warrior!! you go!! wow! that is SO amesome to get your theology degree!!!

:( thats what i wanted to go and get.....darn.....but probably won't be able to till im old and grey!

lol

and cure! what are you talking about? God bless you too! you have such a important job, how can we compare?

oh and that avatar, i'lll find the link for it.

PM like some others are and we'll negoitate a price $$$ (what i'm a poor college student need i say more?)

Just kiddign!!

Well jasjis i am very fresh meat here so yeah if you guys want to pick my brain and my "infantile" library of the works of the Fathers, then yeah just give me a shout out and i'll throw my (...well not mine but the Church's of course) two cents in. Its great here in H-town and St. Thomas is a great school for theology majors if you live down South (If your North-East go to Steubenville or Catholic U. in DC). My posts are few but I always check the debate table and iron monk seems to have it covered but i'll do what i can.

Oh, and by the way littleflower+JMJ (St. Therese is my patroness too, matter of fact i got some roses today too) my avatar i got from a website is a real avatar but phatmass won't take it b/c it's too big i think and i can't resize it so that's my delimma but thanks anyway.

Truth, Wisdom, and Peace in Christ always:

Chadd Christopher

"Warrior" "Christ-bearer"

INRIWarrior3

littleflower+JMJ

oh i was just kidding..i don't know anything about avatars. but i do know that if its too big it won't fit (im SO smart!) lol

you can ask dust to make it smaller or even ryanmeyers could even also.

no problem!

+JMJ

Absolutely Ellenita!!!!

I'm glad you found us! :D

I want to "bump" this thread b/c I know there's more of you out there! We want to hear from you!

SO....

bump bump bumpity bump :P