An Old School Catholic Message Board

Giving Cash For Completing A Sacrament

Guest jrob8503

Guest jrob8503

It probably seems unfair seeing as I got a big payoff for both (Communion and Confirmation), but I think this is the wrong thing to do. I didn't know I was going to receive hundreds of dollars for first Communion, and I think I was more excited about the Eucharist than anything else. Then Confirmation came, and all I could think about was how that post-ceremony cash would be spent. I don't think officially becoming a Catholic was a top priority in my mind at the time. Something I could probably say for the rest of my fellow young candidates (maybe not $ related, but other). My catechesis meetings were very bland and uniformative. They didn't do enough to make sure we ALL were ready to enter the Church. I don't regret making the decision, but hadn't it been for my Catholic high school (my former parish had us wait till soph year), I wouldn't know jack about the some of the nuances of my religion. I see this now as an adult, but I don't think its appropriate to give monetary gifts for the sacraments of a religion that makes full aware the danger of desiring wealth.

Comments?

Edited by jrob8503

I don't think giving gifts is a bad thing, as the intent is to celebrate, not reward. Just like Christmas, we are celebrating Christ's birth. Although, I guess you're right--the true meaning of Christmas is too often ignored because of the emphasis on the gifts/decorations/etc.

I don't think its appropriate to give monetary gifts for the sacraments of a religion...

Comments?

Agreed.

But graduation is a totally different story! :P

Guest jrob8503

The most relgion thing I received was a framed prayer. Our parish gave us scapulars (which I make sure I wear all the time) and a pin that I'm pretty sure I lost. I would have loved to have gotten a nice, big artsy crucifx to put on my wall or a purty rosary.

Well at least you get something. I'd probally just recieve a lot of Non-Catholic and/or Anti-Catholic related items, to discourage me for becoming Catholic. :(

But hey, it's life. :lol:

I also didn't get cash, I got the stuff. But i know that many people walk straight to the bank after the sacraments. One kid I know got a $300 cellphone for sponsoring his cousin at confirmation, but didn't even know what it meant to be a sponsor. Sad. He was shocked when I told him that he's partly responsible for his cousin's soul now. He just wanted a phone.

LOL, yeah, we didn't tell our kids that that's what used to happen and in his homily at Confirmation Bishop Jenky told them that he got slapped at his Confirmation. The adults giggled, and I turned around and saw my CCD class looking like they were gonna bolt from the church! One kid was actually green! No really, he was! It was a priceless moment!

I had a priest once who used to walk up to us and slap us on the cheek to say hi, not hard, but like a bishop used to do. I used to tell folks that he was just practicing to be bishop. Some laughed, others just gave me a blank stare like, "Huh? What?" LOL, I'd just smile...