An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Debate Table Rule...

dUSt

I've decided that any thread that begins to discuss traditionalism vs modernism will immediately be closed. No questions.

phatmass is not the place for Catholic vs Catholic dialogue.

If anyone spots a thread that debates traditonal vs modern, please click on the "Report" button. Thanks.

Eat tacos, so very tasty and good for you,, so very tasty and good for you,.

God bless.

Ya I know it's his site. And he can make any rule he wants. If his answer is as such then I'm cool with that, but I just don't see why it has to come that. We can diologe in a civil manner. We are not all the same. We all believe certain things. Why not discuss them?

MP,

Not everyone is as strongly rooted in the Catholic faith with the depth of knowledge you may have. Most people aren't and then dUSt has to consider the bulk of the people who visit his board. It's not all Clergy, Religious, or middle aged people who have educated themselves. It's a lot of younger people who are early on in their walk of faith and find the Catholic vs Catholic debate as detrimental and cause them to doubt the possiblilty of the Absolute Truth of Catholicism. It's just another murkily defined denomination that the members don't agree on. dUSt would like us to stick to more centrist topics in an effort to build up all who post here, many who aren't even Catholic or other Christian denomination.

I'm sure you can find other boards where there are plenty of older and more learned people to debate the finer nuances of Catholicism. I don't believe it is of intrest or of any benefit to the people here. And it is well within dUSt's rights AND responsibilty to run the board as he sees fit.

Why? Because I haven't made a place for it. The Debate Table is a place for those that disagree with a teaching of the Catholic Church. It was created for Catholic vs non-Catholic dialogue.

As soon as I feel that it would benefit the Church to have a place for Catholic vs Catholic dialogue, I'll create a board for it.

God bless.

Why? Because I haven't made a place for it. The Debate Table is a place for those that disagree with a teaching of the Catholic Church. It was created for Catholic vs non-Catholic dialogue.

As soon as I feel that it would benefit the Church to have a place for Catholic vs Catholic dialogue, I'll create a board for it.

God bless.

Now that is an answer I can understand and respect. Thanks!!

I'm sure you can find other boards where there are plenty of older and more learned people to debate the finer nuances of Catholicism.  I don't believe it is of intrest or of any benefit to the people here.  And it is well within dUSt's rights AND responsibilty to run the board as he sees fit.

It may or may not be of any benefit. That is in the eye of those that participate. As for not being of any intrest, I think the number of responses such threads receive would say otherwise.

There is participating by posting, and participating by just reading. In your post it means those who post, and the benefit is not up to just them. It is dUSt's responsibility to judge the benefit for all who participate by just visiting and reading. As I personally know a number of posters here, and discuss Faith with teens and other teachers, I know the damage that's done when they get involved with a Trad/Modernist/Lib/Orthodox debate. But again, it's not up to the particpants, or your or I to make that value judgement, it's dUSt's.

The same goes for the interest. Heated controversy does not mean it's welcome.

With all due respect dUST, I disagree with your decision. Many great fathers of the Church spoke against the modernist heresies of their times. In our time, the modernist heresy says that women should be ordained, priests should be free to change certain prayers of the Mass to "meet the needs" of their parishoners, and that we need not heed the teaching authority of the Church. When I speak out against liberalism and modernism, I am not speaking out against p&w music or anything like that. I am speaking out against the deliberate, or in some cases, indeliberate, disobedience to Holy Mother Church. So, if a priest decides that in the interestof diversity that he is going to let a lay man or woman give his homily one Sunday morning, I am going to speak out against it because the GIRM says clearly that the homily is to be given by the priest celebrant or in some cases a concelebrant or a deacon. It may even be given by a noncelebrating priest or bishop if the circumstances warrant, but never by a lay person. If a Catholic is involved in a group like "Catholics for a Free Choice" I'm going to speak out against it because by being involved in a group like that, a person is putting their soul in danger of eternal damnation and it is my duty as a Christian to speak out. There are many more things, some more important, some less important. However, I don't think censoring the debate on these issues is the proper way to solve them. But, as others have said, it is your board and you certainly have the right to run it as you see fit. That's just my two cents (or maybe more like ten cents) worth.

Peace

There is participating by posting, and participating by just reading.  In your post it means those who post, and the benefit is not up to just them.  It is dUSt's responsibility to judge the benefit for all who participate by just visiting and reading.  As I personally know a number of posters here, and discuss Faith with teens and other teachers, I know the damage that's done when they get involved with a Trad/Modernist/Lib/Orthodox debate.  But again, it's not up to the particpants, or your or I to make that value judgement, it's dUSt's. 

The same goes for the interest.  Heated controversy does not mean it's welcome.

So is it better to stiffle conversation and the valuable info that comes with it, or is it better to discuss it in a civil manner and get the correct information out for all to see. I just don't see where blocking such talk is benificial. If someone has a misunderstanding regarding church teaching and they are not able to ask a question then how is that person going to learn. The fact is you can not always spoon feed everyone with what you think they need to hear. Sometimes people need to come to there own conclusions and stiffling an opportunity for someone to do that does them a great disservice.

Edited by mp15

I'll lay it out simple.

It's common sense. You don't speak about physics and the ability of a car to stop to tell your kids not to run into the street. Sometimes the discussion isn't appropriate. Just as the Catechism says it's a 'sure norm' for teaching the faith, it also says people are at different points in their walk of faith and it is to be used appropriately.

Agree or disagree with dUSt. Comply with his rules or leave. If you want to debate it with him, respect him enough to PM him.

CatholicAndFanatical

Agree or disagree with dUSt. Comply with his rules or leave. If you want to debate it with him, respect him enough to PM him.

Thats the shizzle..