An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saint Of The Day

willguy

Alright, I have a love of saints, especially those who are more obscure (although the famous ones are also amesome). I also love martyrs. So, I decided to start a thread where saints of the day can be posted.

September 25:

Bl. Herman the Cripple - born with several disorders (including cerebral palsy), he was raised by (and eventually became a) benedictine monks from age 7 onwards, as his parents could not take care of him. Very well learned, he wrote many academic papers until he went blind. He was the greatest poet of his day. He wrote the Salve Regina (Hail, Holy Queen) and the Alma Redemptoris Mater.

So remember his intercession in your schoolwork, and don't forget to say a Salve Regina in his honor.

Peace all and God Bless,

Willguy

also today:

St. Elzear and Blessed Delphina

(1286-1323) (1283-1358)

This is the only Franciscan couple to be canonized or beatified formally.

Elzear came from a noble family in southern France. After he married Delphina, she informed him that she had made a vow of perpetual virginity; that same night he did the same. For a time Elzear, Count of Ariano, was a counselor to Duke Charles of Calabria in southern Italy. Elzear ruled his own territories in the kingdom of Naples and in southern France with justice.

Elzear and Delphina joined the Secular Franciscans and dedicated themselves to the corporal works of mercy. Twelve poor people dined with them every day. A statue of Elzear shows him curing several people suffering from leprosy.

Their piety extended to the running of their household. Everyone there was expected to attend Mass daily, go to confession weekly and be ready to forgive injuries.

After Elzear’s death, Delphina continued her works of charity for 35 more years. She is especially remembered for raising the moral level of the king of Sicily’s court.

Elzear and Delphina are buried in Apt, France. He was canonized in 1369, and she was beatified in 1694.

Comment:

Like Francis, Elzear and Delphina came to see all creation as pointing to its source. Therefore, they did not try ruthlessly to dominate any part of creation but used all of it as a way of returning thanks to God.

Though childless, their marriage was life-giving for the poor and the sick around them.

Quote:

St. Bonaventure wrote: "Francis sought occasion to love God in everything. He delighted in all the works of God's hands and from the vision of joy on earth his mind soared aloft to the life-giving source and cause of all. In everything beautiful, he saw him who is beauty itself, and he followed his Beloved everywhere by his likeness imprinted on creation; of all creation he made a ladder by which he might mount up and embrace Him who is all-desirable" (Legenda Major, IX, 1).

Sept 26-

Sts. Cosmas and Damian - twin brothers, physicians, they brought many to Christ in their practice. Martyred c. 303.

(in Canada) The North American Martyrs (if you don't know who these guys are, check 'em out. I've been to their shrine in Canada, and I'll tell you these guys rok).

Peace all and God Bless,

Willguy

littleflower+JMJ

WOW!!thankswill! i love this thread!!

Archangels Michael, Raphael and Gabriel, pray, protect and guide us all our days!!!

may st. michael always protect us from evil.

may st. raphael help us in our day to day lives.

and may st. gabriel assist us in knowing God's will and plan for us.

amen!!

:wub:

Sept 30th Feast of St Jerome

He studied Hebrew to grasp the Scriptures in their original language. He already knew Greek so he was well qualified to bring together the various versions of the Bible into a unified Latin text known as the Vulgate.

In the Church today it is our continuing duty and do as Jerome did. To study the Scriptures and to feed on these texts every day so we shall grow into the fullness of Christ.

may st. michael always protect us from evil.

may st. raphael help us in our day to day lives.

and may st. gabriel assist us in knowing God's will and plan for us.

:o Oh my goodness. I said a prayer just like this earlier today, just off the top of my head. There's the Spirit for ya. Uniting in prayer.

Sept 30th Feast of St Jerome

He studied Hebrew to grasp the Scriptures in their original language. He already knew Greek so he was well qualified to bring together the various versions of the Bible into a unified Latin text known as the Vulgate.

In the Church today it is our continuing duty and do as Jerome did. To study the Scriptures and to feed on these texts every day so we shall grow into the fullness of Christ.

you stole my saint! Sorry, I was gonna post that today when I realized that you'd already done it yesterday.

Theologian in Training

"For if, as Paul says, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God, and if the man who does not know Scripture does not know the power and wisdom of God, then ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." -- St. Jerome

Today's reading from the Office of Readings

St. Jerome, Pray for us.

Edited by Theologian in Training

Oct. 1-

Okay, as I'm sure most if not all of you know, today is the feast of St. Therese. However, did you also know that today is the feast of:

- The Holy Protection of the Mother of God

- Bls. Edward James, Ralph Crockett, & John Robinson - men killed in 1588 in England for the "crime" of being priests

and several really cool saints in the Orthodox calendar.

Peace all and God Bless,

Willguy