An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Question About Mum (our Queen Mother)

ICTHUS

If the Church is the Bride of Christ, Mary's Son, than Mary is the Mother-in-Law of the Church! :P

No, just kiddn'. That's a great analysis.

Another thing to note: Mary became the Bride of God (the Holy Spirit), when she concieved His Son! So, Mary is part of the Church, the Bride of Christ (i.e. the Bride of God), but at a unique standpoint because she is the Bride of God through the Holy Spirit, not the Son (though they are One in Being).

Hmmmm. Just another thought.

Aloysisus . . ..

You've just made the point of the century:

anyway, that doesn't quite matter, you're thinking in terms of a modern monarchy. In an ancient monarchy, the Queen was always the mother of the King (at least in the ancient Davidic monarchy)

This Scott Hahns point in Hail Holy Queen. Because Mary is the mother of Christ, and he is our King, then Mary is the Queen according to our Old Testament roots. I think it gets confusing when we start mixing our metaphors and that's what's happening when we say that The Church is the Bride of Christ and Mary is the Mother of the Christ so she is the Mother in Law of the Church. In ancient Jewish tradition the concept of Mother in Law was silly. The Bride was always taken into the family of the groom. So the Mother of the Groom was in fact the Mother of the Bride too. Read the book of Ruth for more on this theme. Ruth never returns to her family because she sees her husbans mother (I think its Naomi) as her mother. "You people have become my people, and your God my God" are here words I think.

Also, think about this. Christ is the Word (Logos) through whom all of Creation was made. While he was in Mary's womb, all of Creation was being reborn with him. So, when Christ is born of Mary, we are all born of Mary, because we are all created through Christ. This is the New Creation. Cool, huh . . . Ignatius of Antioch says it much better than me.