An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charismatic-thing-a-ma-bob

ThereseFlower

There really should be no term "Charismatic", as it is an inseperable part of simply being Catholic.

Oh ok-- this is probably where the most confusion for me was. My take was, so if we are all to try to follow what the church teaches the very best we can, isn't that just being Catholic? I didn't realize that that wasn't the "norm" for modern Catholicism, rather, it is a movement these days because many people have moved away from being more structured within the faith...

I think I get it... :huh:

I may still be not completely clear on this one for a while, I think because there is no true correct answer! But that's ok--I believe God reveals His truths to us when we are are ready to see them.

You've all been helpful, peeps, 'specially Jake--thankies all around. ^_^

peace,

~TF~

Charismatics are a Catholic version of Pentecostal worship, to put it in as simple of terms as I can. I used to go to Catholic charismatic prayer meetings and to a certain extant I credit it with keeping me Catholic. It is very possible that God may use it (if He isn't already using it) to gather His separated children back into the fold.

It's more than just guitars.

You won't find any of that here.

That's kinda sad. Is it because of strong preference for organ, or is the parish samller? At LifeTeen they play a Psalm about crying in Babylon with a Viola accompiament that makes my soul ache. I look forward to it during Lent. We are so blessed with a robust and varied music ministry. GodsGrace plays the flute with the current Psalm response. (It's beautiful and she's etty good.) I love singing the Psalms.

Hah!

I was just listening to Dominic Berardino (the President of the SCRC - Charismatic Renewal of Southern Cal). And he said the same thing I did!

Cool confirmation...

It is an attempt to Renew the WILL in Catholics to ACCEPT the gifts of the Spirit! To open our lives FULLY to the Power of God inside the Church! Not just a sit-kneel-stand Catholic! A full fledged, CRAZY for Christ, Catholic, filled with the Holy Spirit!

That's kinda sad. Is it because of strong preference for organ, or is the parish samller? At LifeTeen they play a Psalm about crying in Babylon with a Viola accompiament that makes my soul ache. I look forward to it during Lent. We are so blessed with a robust and varied music ministry. GodsGrace plays the flute with the current Psalm response. (It's beautiful and she's etty good.) I love singing the Psalms.

Our organist to bring everyone to tears just by singing if she wanted to.

We don't want MAss to become performance art.

Christmas and Easter we usually have trumpets. For St Patricks day we have an Irish harp.

LOL. I wouldn't call it performance art. People come and go from the various music groups. For example, the LifeTeen band is mostly young adults who fit in practice and performance when they can. Anybody who can play an instrument or sing well and feels called enough to make a commitment to enough practices is welcomed. The group of instruments and singers varies. It all sounds great. The Viola player is a Junior in HS this year.

I'd love to hear a Harp in a mass though. We usually have somebody to play trumpets at the "full smells and bells" Mass on Christmas and Easter with the Chorale. I have a cousin who plays the trumpet at most family wedding masses. (Definitely not a Lent instument!!)

Just as some people are called to intense signs of worship (charismatic), some people respond to different types of music. For both, there is an appropriate time and context. I think people should be aware of what to expect. If all Masses were Chrismatic, some people might feel that they don't have the Holy Spirit when in fact, they do. But Chrismatic masses are fine on occaision and if generally people know it beforehand.