An Old School Catholic Message Board

Young Women As Altar Servers

BlondewithaBrain

I haven't read the whole thread, but that ain't stopping me from putting my two cents worth.

At our parish, we have a senior altar server position. It would be a teen or a seminarian. The regular altar servers wear a white robe. The senior altar server wears a black cassock and white surplus. This seems to work out good. Girls and boys can be altar servers, but only males (usually at least 15) are the senior and wear the black cassock. They also direct the other Altar servers. I like this because both males and female children can be altar servers, but only males are "alcolytes" (i don't know if they actually are). It gives females an opportunity to serve, but designates the male has a different role, possible priesthood.

Since we have a school and other nuns at the parish, there are plenty of women religious that also provide a leadership role model for females. The Director of CCD is a woman, The school Principal is a nun, a Director for a pastoral ministry is a nun as well.

Women need to take a greater role in the Church, as all lay persons should. There is a big difference though, between a sacramental service, and service in the other minsitries. Works of mercy are both Spiritual and Corporal. If girls are alllowed to be Altar Servers, some catechesis needs to go with to make sure that it doesn't lead to speculation that women can become priests.

Point 1: Can anyone here tell me how many men were at the foot of the cross? How many women? The altar is the foot of the cross, is it not?

Point 2: I find it despicable that you have attacked her faith because she think it's sexist (and it is) to disallow female altar servers, especially since they have been allowed for quite some time. If the Vatican doesn't drive her out of the Church, surely you folks will.

Point 3: Why do boys get preferential treatment? Can you explain this to me based on the Bible rather than the ever-changing teaching of the Church?

Point 4: Someone mentioned that she's lucky to be allowed to receive the Holy Sacrifice of the Altar. Allowed? You're kidding, right? I'm pretty sure that Jesus intended for everyone to be allowed to receive it.

Point 5: Without even going into the issue of Vatican exclusionism, what kind of effect do you think Phatmass exclusionism is having on the Church assembled here? How many do y'all plan to drive out before you've accomplished your goal?

I agree with Jas Jis, The idea of a lead altar server wearing a cassock is a good idea while keeping girls and boys as altar servers. Infact I think that is the best idea i have heard in a long time Jas Jis. If i am ordained i think that is how i will do it.

Point 1:  Can anyone here tell me how many men were at the foot of the cross?  How many women?  The altar is the foot of the cross, is it not?

Point 2:  I find it despicable that you have attacked her faith because she think it's sexist (and it is) to disallow female altar servers, especially since they have been allowed for quite some time.  If the Vatican doesn't drive her out of the Church, surely you folks will.

Point 3:  Why do boys get preferential treatment?  Can you explain this to me based on the Bible rather than the ever-changing teaching of the Church?

Point 4:  Someone mentioned that she's lucky to be allowed to receive the Holy Sacrifice of the Altar.  Allowed?  You're kidding, right?  I'm pretty sure that Jesus intended for everyone to be allowed to receive it. 

Point 5:  Without even going into the issue of Vatican exclusionism, what kind of effect do you think Phatmass exclusionism is having on the Church assembled here?  How many do y'all plan to drive out before you've accomplished your goal?

Why do boys get preferential treatment?

It isn't preferential treatment.

Please don't confuse the issue.

Boys aren't "prefered" over girls.

However, boys become priests. Girls don't.

Point 1:  Can anyone here tell me how many men were at the foot of the cross?  How many women?  The altar is the foot of the cross, is it not?

Point 2:  I find it despicable that you have attacked her faith because she think it's sexist (and it is) to disallow female altar servers, especially since they have been allowed for quite some time.  If the Vatican doesn't drive her out of the Church, surely you folks will.

Point 3:  Why do boys get preferential treatment?  Can you explain this to me based on the Bible rather than the ever-changing teaching of the Church?

Point 4:  Someone mentioned that she's lucky to be allowed to receive the Holy Sacrifice of the Altar.  Allowed?  You're kidding, right?  I'm pretty sure that Jesus intended for everyone to be allowed to receive it. 

Point 5:  Without even going into the issue of Vatican exclusionism, what kind of effect do you think Phatmass exclusionism is having on the Church assembled here?  How many do y'all plan to drive out before you've accomplished your goal?

Was it something I said??