An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Our Friendly, Neighborhood Pagan

ReformationNow

Kilroy the Ninja

Not trying to take away from your meaning Raven, just for your edification (and I mean that in the nice way), Jews and Mormons are not Christian. A better example (for your future use) would be Catholics, Baptists and Methodists.

:ph34r:

What's your opinion of the use of Blood Magick?

Blood is a life force... and normally obtaining blood involves harming someone, which weakens the power of the magick... I don't use blood in magick, I honestly don't think it's a worthy practice... but being a "bambi Wiccan" you understand my veiws on that.

And what I meant was Jews and Mormons are monotheistic.... I consider monotheistic religions to be Christian....

Blood magick used to be used in fertility rites. It had to be menstrual blood, though. Farmers would have women "ride" broomsticks naked while menstruating through their fields in order to ensure a bountiful crop. That wasn't necessarily harmful blood magick...just really freaking gross. If someone still did something like that....hey, they aren't harming anything. But if it's forcefully taken, it will automatically bring on negative results and have less magickal value, even if the spell was technically "good." Hopefully that makes sense....my thoughts are everywhere.

~Clover

And what I meant was Jews and Mormons are monotheistic.... I consider monotheistic religions to be Christian....

Jews, yes

Mormons, no.

Mormons believe in three Gods united in one purpose, called a "Godhead". They reject the doctrine of the Holy Trinity, namely, that God is three Persons, yet perfectly united, one God.

Father, Son, and Spirit, One God.

Mormons also believe that God is married and has intercourse with his "wife" (a mother goddess) and produces spirit babies.

Jews, yes

Mormons, no.

Mormons believe in three Gods united in one purpose, called a "Godhead". They reject the doctrine of the Holy Trinity, namely, that God is three Persons, yet perfectly united, one God.

Father, Son, and Spirit, One God.

Mormons also believe that God is married and has intercourse with his "wife" (a mother goddess) and produces spirit babies.

interesting... I was supposedly "raised mormon" don't remember any of that...

ReformationNow

Blood is a life force... and normally obtaining blood involves harming someone, which weakens the power of the magick... I don't use blood in magick, I honestly don't think it's a worthy practice... but being a "bambi Wiccan" you understand my veiws on that.

Actually, most pagans that use blood magick nowadays that I know of, use their own blood, since it is supposed to be more powerful to do it that way. It's quite interesting stuff. I have several handy-dandy books on the occult lying around somewhere that I read, plus surfing the web for more information. *sigh* It's hard work being so brilliant! :D

hehe, I wish I could sympathize, reformation. What books do you have, out of curiosity? And you're right, most pagans do use their own blood now in blood magick, if they use it.

Hmm... That's true, I just haven't been one to use blood magic because I've promised to many people I won't cut myself...

This may seem like an odd question, but what religion are you?

cmotherofpirl

Raven,Oct 5 2003, 07:18 PM]

Blood is a life force... and normally obtaining blood involves harming someone, which weakens the power of the magick...

The Old Testament says the life is in the blood as well.

The New Testament is even more explicit: The bread and wine become the Body And Blood of Jesus.

Without that there is no life for the Christian.

Edited by cmotherofpirl

Raven,Oct 5 2003, 07:18 PM]

Blood is a life force... and normally obtaining blood involves harming someone, which weakens the power of the magick...

The Old Testament says the life is in the blood as well.

The New Testament is even more explicit: The bread and wine become the Body And Blood of Jesus.

Without that there is no life for the Christian.

I said that blood was a life force...

and I'm not sure exactly what you meant...

ReformationNow

hehe, I wish I could sympathize, reformation. What books do you have, out of curiosity? And you're right, most pagans do use their own blood now in blood magick, if they use it.

Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions

Nocturnal Witchcraft: Magick After Dark

The Sabbats: A New Approach to Living the Old Ways

There's a few others, but I can't find them right now. And then I have some books on Christianity and Paganism.

ReformationNow

Hmm... That's true, I just haven't been one to use blood magic because I've promised to many people I won't cut myself...

This may seem like an odd question, but what religion are you?

Protestant, Mennonite specifically. Former Baptist, Agnostic, and Gothic Pagan; Not necassarily in that order.

To me, the modern idea of using one's own blood in magick rituals, seems to have come from Christianity.

In the Old Testament, God demanded blood sacrifice of various 'clean' animals for the atonement of sins. This sacrifice was symbolic of The coming of Christ, and the shedding of His blood. The thing about these sacrifices, was they had to be done repeatedly throughout ones life for atonement. This is comparable to the old pagans taking the blood of others to make magick.

In the New Testament, Christ came. Christ is the third person of the Trinity, and thus, God. God Himself, spilt His own blood on the cross, thus abolishing the need for us to sacrifice animals repeatedly for the atonement of our Sins. Christ's shed blood was a 'once for all' deal. This is comparable to using one's own blood to make a more powerful magick. The pagans who practice this believe that using one's own blood makes a spell more powerful than if they were to use the blood of others.

The Sabbats by Edain McCoy? I love that book. And how's Nocturnal Witchcraft? I've seen it and have been interested, but not sure if I actually want to add it to my "library"...I also have books on both Christianity and Paganism. There's a bookshelf or two in my room dedicated to relgion. It tweaked out my sister when she first saw my pagan books alongside my Christian books...hehe, it was funny.

~Clover