An Old School Catholic Message Board

Colledge

Aloysius

IcePrincessKRS

is scott hahn still there?  i heard he wasn't

Christendom College is another good Catholic college out there

Christendom is where I graduated from. :)

Now I live about 10 minutes away from the Steubenville campus.

The only "weird" thing about these schools is that they ARE GOOD CATHOLIC colleges--only reason why its weird is because its so uncommon. ;)

What about the new Ave Maria College in Naples, FL, the new school that the dude who owned Dominos pizza is starting?

They are actually planning on building a whole town called Ave Maria there near Naples, and it will be planned around the Church and the school.

The Franciscan university looks nice, and has some academics that I'm interested in.

Btw, is Notre Dame a non-orthodox Catholic university? Why do these schools tend to...become this way?

Btw, is Notre Dame a non-orthodox Catholic university?  Why do these schools tend to...become this way?

You're correct; Notre Dame is a non-orthodox Catholic university. How do they get that way, you ask? It's simple -- they get infiltrated by faculty who are heterodox and who are determined to spread their agendas to unsuspecting young Catholics

CatholicAndFanatical

Yea what do you think of Notre Dame? I heard its not really Orthodox anymore. I only live a few hours from it, only been there a couple of times and the campus is beautiful, but how is the teaching??

CatholicAndFanatical

CatholicAndFanatical

You're correct; Notre Dame is a non-orthodox Catholic university.  How do they get that way, you ask?  It's simple -- they get infiltrated by faculty who are heterodox and who are determined to spread their agendas to unsuspecting young Catholics

ahh, IC...its a shame Dave such a good school would go down like that..what would Rudy think?

:blink:

CatholicAndFanatical

WAIT A MINUTE!! Notre Dame is not a "non-ortodox" Catholic University. For SHAME on the slander!

Now, that said, I need to add a disclaimer: I went to Notre Dame!

This is what I will say:

Some of the Theology professors are downright heretics. Many professors in other departments can be very anti-catholic. Overall I would say that the majority is very liberal, and not always faithful to the Church.

BUT! and this a big BUT!!

You can get a very good and orthodox education at Notre Dame if it is important to you. It wasn't important to me at the time and I got a great one anyway. I was lucky to have friends who encouraged me to take certain professors who were known for their orthodoxy and their intellect. Even from the liberals you can learn something, as long as you don't believe anything they say! . . . and that is what taught me the most! I would pour through the catechism and the Church fathers to prove them wrong. Friends and I would have long discussions on theological points and opinions to get to the TRUTH. It was a great education. We were challenged intellectually and spiritually and the Church always came out on top.

And I will say that the intellectual workout we got, from orthodox professors and from the liberals, was top notch. Imagine choosing to write a paper on the Real Presence in the class of a man who doesn't believe in the Resurrection?!? Well, I did and I pointed out that without the Resurrection there is no real presence. I got an A. He says he "didn't agree with my interpretation, but found nothing inconsistentg in my thought" Funny that he didn't see the inconsistency in his, eh?

Anyway, the point is this: There are plenty of Professors who are very Faithful to the Church's Teachings (Fr. Daley, Fr. Baxter, Prof. Cavadini, Prof. O'Regan, and others in the Theology Department, and Profs. Freddoso, McInerny, Bradley, MacIntyre and others in other departments) and these professors are very willing to guide your education to help you get the most Orthodox Catholic Education that Notre Dame has to offer. Students help each other out too. There is an Opus Dei house right off campus for your spiritual direction and formation and there are some very good Holy Cross priests too who can guide you.

Overall, Notre Dame looks like the Church. There are liberals and looneys and Ultra-Traditionalist Sede-Vacantists, masons, Sr. Mary BallCrushers, and pious and faithful souls. We're all at Notre Dame and I learned how to defend the Church and love the church with all of them.

Notre Dame isn't for everyone, but if you spend your time in this Phorum defending the Church, I'm sure you could kick butt at ND.

CatholicAndFanatical

Oh Yeah, I almost forgot:  Duh!  Notre Dame FOOTBALL!!!  There is nothing else like it, even when we lose!

Aman to that Brotha, nice post..im glad you spoke up. I've always like ND, its good to see it in the good light like this.

God Bless,

CatholicAndFanatical

CatholicAndFanatical

Aman to that Brotha, nice post..im glad you spoke up. I've always like ND, its good to see it in the good light like this.

God Bless,

CatholicAndFanatical

A good light in a way that you could possibly grow from the experience. But I fear from the things you have talked about that those that are not strong in their faith could go along with those other people that are not orthodox. How can someone that doesnt even believe in the resurrection get a job at a Catholic University?

thats equally absurd as a local Catholic school here in town had a protestant substitute teacher come in teaching the kids that the Eucharist isnt really the Body of Christ..ugh..the administration needs to open their eyes.

How do those teachers that are faithful to the Church react to those that are not Faithful to the Church, in your example the teacher that didnt believe in the resurrection?

CatholicAndFanatical

But I fear from the things you have talked about that those that are not strong in their faith could go along with those other people that are not orthodox. How can someone that doesnt even believe in the resurrection get a job at a Catholic University?

You're right C&F, and I don't want to discount the serious problems. And believe me, the problem you mention is the biggest problem. But if all the faithful people abandon Notre Dame, what will happen to the place? I know that my presence at Notre Dame kept more than a few of my friends from diving in head first into the "Church is irrelevant" mindset. And vocations come out of Notre Dame, Our Lady has not let her school get completely away from her and more and more is happening to bring it back under her mantle completely. Notre Dame, because of its influence and superior academics needs our prayers more now, than ever before. The president of Notre Dame (not a bad man, but not one fighting for the orthodoxy of the place either) will be gone soon. Let's pray that one of Our Lady's loyal sons is chosen to replace him.

Even if the faculty became more orthodox at Notre Dame I am pretty sure alot of the student body would remain in the sin that they are doing right now. I was working at a function and the guest speaker was the Notre Dame student body president. He was talking about how he was trying to get the hard liquor ban lifted, and others. He even went on to say how after he was giving this speach he was going to go back to campus to go hang out with his drunk friends and start drinking. This doesnt seem like the greatest guy to be head of student body. But it doesnt just have to be the faculty, the whole campus of Notre Dame needs prayed for.

G2G

~Fx