Sign in to follow this  
Cure of Ars

Typology Thread

Cure of Ars
In this thread I am going to give examples of Old Testament people and events that pointed to what Christ was going to fulfill in the New Testament.

This is from This Rock. It shows some ways Moses prefigured Jesus;

[quote][b]MOSES[/b]

1. Evil king tried to kill him as a baby (Ex. 1:22)
2. He was hidden from this evil king (Ex. 2:2)
3. He was saved by women: his mother (Ex. 2:3); Miriam, his sister (2:4, 7–8); and Pharaoh’s daughter (2:5–10)
4. Pharaoh’s daughter, the princess, adopted him (Ex. 2:10)
5. Therefore Moses was a prince (Ex. 2:10)
6. Long period of silence from youth to adulthood
7. He had a secret identity (Ex. 2:11–12)
8. He saved Hebrews (Ex. 2:11–12)
9. Went from prince to pauper (Ex. 2:15–19)
10. Saved women at a well (Ex. 2:16–19)
11. Saved gentile (Ex. 2:16–19)
12. Became a shepherd (Ex. 3:1)

[b]General Observations:[/b]

1. Moses was a prophet
2. Often rejected by his own people
3. Led God’s people from bondage
4. Led to the Promised Land
5. Gave a law to live by from a mountain
6. Knew God better than anybody else

[b]CHRIST[/b]

1. Herod tried to kill baby Jesus (Matt. 2:16)
2. An angel said to hide the child (Matt. 2:13)
3. Mary saved and helped Jesus (Matt. 2:14, Luke 2:48), and other women help Jesus (Luke 8:1–3)
4. Joseph adopted him (Matt. 1:25)
5. Was the Prince of Peace
6. Long period of silence from youth to adulthood
7. The Messianic secret—Jesus healed and asked that it remain secret (Matt. 8:4)
8. Of course he did!
9. Went from owning the universe to being a common workman (John 1:1–3, Mark 6:3)
10. Saved a Samaritan woman at the well (John 4:6–7, 25–26)
11. Saved all gentiles (Luke 2:29–32)
12. Is the Good Shepherd (John 10:11)

[b]General Observations:[/b]

1. Jesus is the Prophet
2. His own people rejected him
3. Leads us from bondage of sin
4. Leads into the Kingdom of God
5. Gave us the Gospels and the New Testament
6. Of course he does!
[/quote]

To read more about his go here;

[url="http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2001/0109fea2.asp"]http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2001/0109fea2.asp[/url]

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua
I got some super spin typology, but I will type it out when I have time...now i got bunch and bunch of paper-writting to do.

Totus Tuus,

Andy

Cure of Ars
[quote]The NT requires that we read the OT in a typological sense.[1] Consider:

(1)  In Matthew 12:40, Jesus teaches that Jonah’s three days in the belly of the great fish foreshadowed Jesus’ three days in the tomb.

(2)  In John 3:14, Jesus says that the bronze serpent of Numbers 21:9 symbolized His crucifixion.

(3)  In 1 Peter 3:19–21, St. Peter points out that the flood in the time of Noah prefigured Christian baptism.

(4)  In 1 Corinthians 10:4, St. Paul calls the rock that followed the Israelites in the desert “Christ.” Notice he does not say the rock was like Christ; St. Paul says the rock was Christ. He uses this language to stress that the relationship between a type and its NT fulfillment is more than a similarity.

(5)  In Romans 5:14, St. Paul specifically calls Adam a type of Christ.

These examples show how the NT teaches that in the OT persons and events, we are to see doctrines that are made more explicit in the gospel. Thus, to be faithful to the NT, we must appreciate the rich typology found in the OT. [/quote]

[url="http://catholicapologetics.com/ba6.htm"]http://catholicapologetics.com/ba6.htm[/url]

Cure of Ars
[quote name='AfroNova No Limit Soldier' date='Oct 26 2004, 07:51 PM'] I love typology because it helped me to love our Blessed Mother more.

YAY! [/quote]
Me too! :)

Cure of Ars
[quote]Exodus 12:1-10 - [color=green]"The Lord said to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, "This month shall stand at the head of your calendar; you shall reckon it the first month of the year. Tell the whole community of Israel: On the tenth of this month every one of your families must procure for itself a lamb, one piece for each household. If a family is too small for a whole lamb, it shall join the nearest household in procuring one and shall share in the lamb in proportion to the number of persons who partake of it. The lamb must be a year-old male and without blemish. You may take it from either the sheep or the goats. You shall keep it until the fourteenth day of this month, and then, with the whole assembly of Israel present, it shall be slaughtered during the evening twighlight. They shall take some of its blood and apply it to the two doorposts and the lintel of every house in which they partake of the lamb. That same night they shall eat its roasted flesh with unleavened bread and bitter herbs. It shall not be eaten raw or boiled, but roasted whole, with its head and shanks and inner organs. None of it must be kept beyond the next morning; whatever is left over in the morning shall be burned up." [/color]

[color=blue]The typology of Jesus is seen in the history of Israel. This is particularly vivid in the Passover meal. The Israelites were to slaughter the year old male lamb without blemish. Not only were they to slaughter the lamb, but they ALSO were to eat the flesh of the lamb. In following these very precise instructions, the angel of the Lord would passover them. Thus, in order for the Israelites to properly follow the Passover formula, they must slaughter the lamb, put its blood on their doorpost, and eat its flesh. Clearly, Jesus himself is the "lamb of God." Jesus came for once and for all to take away the sins of the world. Thus, Jesus as the true lamb of God was sacrificed, and now too, his flesh must be eaten. In the Catholic Eucharist, we eat the flesh of the lamb of God. In the holy Catholic mass, the Jewish Passover is completed and perfected. This is why Jesus at the Last "Passover" Supper declares the bread, his body, and the wine, his blood. It's interesting to note as well that eating the flesh of the lamb is intimately connected with eating the unleavened bread. Just as the Jews were to eat the flesh of the lamb, so too Christians are now to eat the flesh of Jesus in the holy Eucharist. [/color][/quote]

[url="http://members.tripod.com/~Emmaus1/eucharist.html"]http://members.tripod.com/~Emmaus1/eucharist.html[/url]

Cure of Ars
[quote]Mary's role in salvation history was first revealed after the Fall when God confronted the perpetrators in the garden of Eden. "I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel" (Gen 3:15).

The Old Testament presents David as a type7 of Jesus. David engaged in head crushing in his confrontation with Goliath.8 Jesus, the fulfillment, crushed Satan's head on Golgotha, the hill called Skull.9 The Bible also presents women engaged in head crushing who foreshadowed Mary, the New Eve.

In Judges 4:17-22 we learn that Jael drove a tent peg through the temple of Sisera. The language used to honor her because of this deed is significant. "Most bless among women is Jael" (Judg 4:21). This is the same language that St. Luke employs in his Gospel (Lk 1:28, 42). In Judges 9:53 "a certain woman" dropped an upper millstone on the head of Abimelech. Lastly, Judith cut off the head of Holofernes (Judith 13:6-8). The praise directed toward Judith is important. "And Uzziah said to her, 'O daughter, you are blessed by the Most High God above all women on earth. . . . May God grant this to be a perpetual honor to you" (Judith 13:18, 20). This praise is reflected in Luke 1: 28, 42, 48. By employing the language of Septuagint Greek in these citations St. Luke is connecting Mary as the fulfillment of these Old Testament types.

St. John makes a similar connection between Mary and "the woman" of Genesis 3:15. At the beginning of his public ministry Jesus, himself, addresses his mother as "woman" (Jn 2:4) prior to working the miracle of Cana, the first of his signs. Jesus also addresses his mother as "woman" when he was on the cross (Jn 19:26). At the cross Mary participated with her son in his definitive act of crushing Satan's head. Jesus, the God made man and new Adam, conquered the devil, sin and death by the total sacrificial gift of himself to the Father as his body and soul are torn apart by his terrible suffering. Because of Jesus' infinite merits Mary was empowered to unite her agony with his as the sword of suffering pierced her soul (Lk 2:35). Lastly, in Revelation 12 John depicts Jesus and Mary in a death struggle with Satan. In verse 4 one discovers the only verse in the Bible other than Genesis 3:15 in which all the antagonists are depicted: the woman, the seed and the serpent. [/quote]

[url="http://www.totustuus.com/mother.htm"]http://www.totustuus.com/mother.htm[/url]

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua
Of course we have the best typology...The Pasover and the Last Supper... if anyone does not know about this, please let me know...I will write a post about it.

Totus Tuus,
Andy

Seven77
Typology is dope.

Genesis has prefigurements of the Trinity, the Messiah, His Mother, the Eucharist, the priesthood right in the first few chapters. Really brings Scripture alve!

Lil Red
[quote name='AfroNova No Limit Soldier' date='Oct 26 2004, 05:51 PM'] I love typology because it helped me to love our Blessed Mother more.

YAY! [/quote]
i love Scott Hahn's book "Hail, Holy Queen"!!!!!

phatcatholic
[quote name='Cure of Ars' date='Oct 27 2004, 05:19 PM']
[url="http://www.totustuus.com/mother.htm"]http://www.totustuus.com/mother.htm[/url] [/quote]
DUDE! why didn't u tell me about this website!!

Cure of Ars
[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Nov 2 2004, 02:36 PM'] DUDE! why didn't u tell me about this website!! [/quote]
I have been patiently waiting for you to open up the The "post-a-link-for-the-reference-section" Thread. :drool: I have it book marked to be added when it opens again.

Cure of Ars
[quote]In His incarnation Jesus laid aside His royal robes and took the garment of frail human nature. At Calvary He was the sacrifice, the High Priest and the mercy seat all in one. Veiled in the awful and impenetrable darkness which enveloped the cross during His dying agonies, He was like Aaron making atonement beyond the sight of any human eye. As deep silence fell over the congregation of Israel when Aaron stood before the mercy seat, so every voice was hushed when Jesus was enveloped by the thick darkness of Calvary. The darkness and earthquake (and probably thunder and flashes of lightning) were a recapitulation of the theophany at Mount Sinai, which was a type of the day of judgment. According to Jewish tradition the Day of Atonement was celebrated on the anniversary of the day their mediator Moses entered the thick cloud and ascended the mountain into the presence of God.

On the resurrection morning John and Peter ran to the tomb and found only Christ's linen garments, which He had laid aside (John 20:5-8). In choosing to record this incident, John was probably thinking of Leviticus 16. Our High Priest had made the atonement and had laid aside His common linen garments. On His resurrection day He came forth and blessed His waiting disciples (John 20:22).

The fascinating allusions in the Gospels become emphatic dogma in the Epistle to the Hebrews. The Passover imagery is present in the mind of its author (Heb. 13:20; cf. Isa. 63:11). But his main theme is to show that the high-priestly ministration on the Day of Atonement had met its fulfillment in the Christ event.

An important feature of biblical typology in the book of Hebrews must not escape our notice. Although features of the type are always gathered up and recapitulated in the antitype, the antitype always supersedes the type. There is correspondence between type and antitype, but there is also contrast. For instance, the high priest of the old Aaronic order went into the sanctuary to make the atonement before the mercy seat. But according to Hebrews the High Priest of the Melchizedek order made the atonement and then went into the heavenly sanctuary.

After He had provided purification for sins [an expression corresponding to the Old Testament word atonement], He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.-Heb. 1:3.

He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but He entered the Most Holy Place once for all by His own blood, having obtained eternal redemption.-Heb. 9:12.

But now He has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of Himself.-Heb. 9:26. (This act on Calvary is contrasted with Aaron's entrance into the holy of holies on the Day of Atonement.)

Again using the Day of Atonement imagery, the writer to the Hebrews says:

He had to be made like His brothers in every way, in order that He might become a merciful and faithful High Priest in service to God, and that He might make atonement for the sins of the people.-Heb. 2:17, NIV.

The word the New International Version translates as "atonement" is hilasterion, the same word used to designate the mercy seat in Hebrews 9:5 (KJV). What the King James Version translates as "mercy seat," the New International Version more accurately translates as "place of atonement." (The same word is used in Romans 3:25, 1 John 2:2 and 1 John 4:20.) From the total New Testament witness, we can say the New Testament teaches that the cross of Calvary fulfilled the type of the high priest sprinkling the blood on the mercy seat on the Day of Atonement. On the cross Jesus Himself became our mercy seat or place of atonement. Daniel's prophecy of the Messiah also takes several key expressions from Leviticus 16 and applies their fulfilment to the Christ event (Dan. 9:24).
[/quote]

[url="http://www.salvationhistory.com/library/scripture/wordofgod/BrinsXst3.cfm"]http://www.salvationhistory.com/library/sc...d/BrinsXst3.cfm[/url]

phatcatholic
[quote name='Cure of Ars' date='Nov 2 2004, 09:52 PM'] I have been patiently waiting for you to open up the The "post-a-link-for-the-reference-section" Thread. :drool: I have it book marked to be added when it opens again. [/quote]
hehe, sweet :D

ur my dawg ;)

luciana
[quote name='Cure of Ars' date='Oct 26 2004, 09:39 PM'] Me too! :) [/quote]
Me three! :P It helped me from anti-Catholic attacks on Our Lady.

luciana
[quote name='Cure of Ars' date='Oct 25 2004, 01:06 PM']
[url="http://catholicapologetics.com/ba6.htm"]http://catholicapologetics.com/ba6.htm[/url] [/quote]
These are good because they show that Our Lord and the apostles themselves used typology. Good to know in apologetics if someone objects to one's use of typology.

Cure of Ars
Hyssop and Typology

[quote][b]New American Bible Foot Note[/b]

[color=purple]Hyssop[/color]: a small bush whose many woody twigs make a natural sprinkler. It was prescribed in the Mosaic law as an instrument for sprinkling sacrificial blood or lustral water for cleansing.[/quote]

[quote]Cleanse me with [color=purple]hyssop[/color], that I may be pure; wash me, make me whiter than snow.  (Psalms 51:9)[/quote]

[quote]Then take a bunch of [color=purple]hyssop[/color], and dipping it in the blood that is in the basin, sprinkle the lintel and the two doorposts with this blood. But none of you shall go outdoors until morning. (Exodus 12:22) [/quote]

[quote]The LORD said to Moses, "This is the law for the victim of leprosy at the time of his purification. He shall be brought to the priest, who is to go outside the camp to examine him. If the priest finds that the sore of leprosy has healed in the leper, he shall order the man who is to be purified, to get two live, clean birds, as well as some cedar wood, scarlet yarn, and [color=purple]hyssop[/color]. (Lev 14:4) [/quote]

[quote]Then a man who is clean shall take some [color=purple]hyssop[/color], dip it in this water, and sprinkle it on the tent and on all the vessels and persons that were in it, or on him who touched a bone, a slain person or other dead body, or a grave. (Numbers 19:18)[/quote]

[quote][color=blue]After this, aware that everything was now finished, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I thirst." There was a vessel filled with common wine. So they put a sponge soaked in wine on a sprig of [color=purple]hyssop [/color]and put it up to his mouth. (John 19: 28-29) [/color][/quote]

[quote][b]Church Fathers Quote: Justin Martyr [/b]

By that which took place in the running water, in which the wood and the [color=purple]hyssop [/color]and the scarlet were dipped, is set forth the bloody passion of Christ on the cross for the salvation of those who are sprinkled with the Spirit, and the water, and the blood. Wherefore the material for purification was not provided chiefly with reference to leprosy, but with regard to the forgiveness of sins, that both leprosy might be understood to be an emblem of sin, and the things which were sacrificed an emblem of Him who was to be sacrificed for sins.[/quote]

[url="http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:y3BvTMhCIbEJ:www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/justinmartyr-fragments.html+%22Translated+by+the+Rev.+Alexander+Roberts%22+hyssop&hl=en&ie=UTF-8"]http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:y3BvTMh...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

[quote] [b] Church Fathers Quote:  Cyril of Jerusalem[/b]

1. "Rejoice, ye heavens, and let the earth be glad" [Ps. 95(96):11] for those who are to be sprinkled with [color=purple]hyssop[/color], and cleansed with the spiritual [color=purple]hyssop[/color], the power of Him to whom at His Passion drink was offered on [color=purple]hyssop [/color]and a reed. And while the Heavenly Powers rejoice, let the souls that are to be united to the spiritual Bridegroom make themselves ready. For the voice is heard "of one crying inthe wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord" [Isaiah 40:3]. For this is no light matter, no ordinary and indiscriminate union according to the flesh, but the All-searching Spirit's election according to faith. For the inter-marriages and contracts of the world are not made altogether with judgement: but wherever there is wealth or beauty, there the bridegroom speedily approves: but here it is not beauty of person, but the soul's clear conscience; not the condemned Mammon, but the wealth of the soul in godliness.[/quote]

[url="http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:sueRVfLP2R8J:www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/St.Pachomius/Greek/Catech/lexr3.html+%22defiled+by+the+invocation+of+the+idols,+so+contrariwise%22++hyssop&hl=en&ie=UTF-8"]http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:sueRVfL...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

[quote] [b] Church Fathers Quote:  St. Augustine of Hippo[/b]

12. "Thou shall sprinkle me," he saith, "with [color=purple]hyssop[/color], and I shall be cleansed" (ver. 7). [color=purple]Hyssop [/color]we know to be a herb humble but heal ing: to the rock it is said to adhere with roots. Thence in a mystery the similitude of cleansing the heart has been taken. Do thou also take hold, with the root of thy love, on thy Rock: be humble in thy humble God, in order that thou mayest be exalted in thy glorified God. Thou shalt be sprinkled with [color=purple]hyssop[/color], the humility of Christ shall cleanse thee. Despise not the herb, attend to the efficacy of the medicine. Something further I will say, which we are wont to hear from physicians, or to experience in sick persons. [color=purple]Hyssop[/color], they say, is proper for purging the lungs. In the lung is wont to be noted pride: for there is inflation, there breathing. It was said of Saul the persecutor as of Saul the proud, that he was going to bind Christians, breathing slaughter: he was breathing out slaughter, breathing out blood, his lung not yet cleansed. Hear also in this place one humbled, because with [color=purple]hyssop [/color]purged: "Thou shalt wash me," that is, shalt cleanse the: "and above snow I shall be whitened." "Although," he saith, "your sins shall have been like scarlet, like snow I will whiten." Out of such men Christ doth present to Himself a vesture without spot and wrinkle. Further, His vesture on the mount, which shone forth like whitened snow, signified the Church cleansed from every spot of sin. [/quote]

[url="http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:YxPGd98TEB8J:www.newadvent.org/fathers/1801051.htm+%22Hyssop,+they+say,+is+proper+for+purging+the+lungs%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8"]http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:YxPGd98...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

[quote]
[b] [b]Church Fathers Quote:  THE EPISTLE OF BARNABAS[/b]

CHAPTER VIII.--THE RED HEIFER A TYPE OF CHRIST.

Now what do you suppose this to be a type of, that a command was given to Israel, that men of the greatest wickedness should offer a heifer, and slay and burn it, and, that then boys should take the ashes, and put these into vessels, and bind round a stick purple wool along with [color=purple]hyssop[/color], and that thus the boys should sprinkle the people, one by one, in order that they might be purified from their sins? Consider how He speaks to you with simplicity. The calf is Jesus: the sinful men offering it are those who led Him to the slaughter. But now the men are no longer guilty, are no longer regarded as sinners. And the boys that sprinkle are those that have proclaimed to us the remission of sins and purification of heart. To these He gave authority to preach the Gospel, being twelve in number, corresponding to the twelve tribes of Israel. But why are there three boys that sprinkle? To correspond to Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, because these were great with God. And why was the wool [placed] upon the wood? Because by wood Jesus holds His kingdom, so that [through the cross] those believing on Him shall live for ever. But why was [color=purple]hyssop [/color]joined with the wool? Because in His kingdom the days will be evil and polluted in which we shall be saved, [and] because he who suffers in body is cured through the cleansing efficacy of [color=purple]hyssop[/color]. And on this account the things which stand thus are clear to us, but obscure to them because they did not hear the voice of the Lord. [/quote]

[url="http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:qnuYfjEH_8kJ:www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/barnabas-roberts.html+%22and+bind+round+a+stick+purple+wool+along+with+hyssop,+and%22+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8"]http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:qnuYfjE...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

[quote]
[b]Church Fathers Quote:  THE WORKS OF DIONYSIUS[/b]

And He certainly spake truth then. Nevertheless He was not forsaken. But He drank out the cup at once, as His plea had implied, and then passed away.(8) And the vinegar which was handed to Him seems to me to have been a symbolical thing. For the turned wine(9) indicated very well the quick turning(10) and change which He sustained, when He passed from His passion to impassibility, and from death to deathlessness, and from the position of one judged to that of one judging, and from subjection under the despot's power to the exercise of kingly dominion. And the sponge, as I think, signified the complete transfusion(11) of the Holy Spirit that was realized in Him. And the reed symbolized the royal sceptre and the divine law. And the [color=purple]hyssop [/color]expressed that quickening and saving resurrection of His, by which He has also brought health to us.(12) [/quote]

[url="http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:dZ-KlErIMHQJ:www.catholicfirst.com/thefaith/churchfathers/volume06/dionysius02.cfm+%22And+the+hyssop+expressed+that+quickening+and+saving+resurrection+of+His,+by+which+He+has+also+brought+health+to+us%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8"]http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:dZ-KlEr...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

The following quotes are from The Summa Theologica of St. Thomas Aquinas.

[quote]To this burning were added "cedar-wood, and [color=purple]hyssop[/color], and scarlet twice dyed," to signify that just as cedar-wood is not liable to putrefaction, and scarlet twice dyed does not easily lose its color, and [color=purple]hyssop [/color]retains its odor after it has been dried; so also was this sacrifice for the preservation of the whole people, and for their good behavior and devotion. Hence it is said of the ashes of the cow: "That they may be reserved for the multitude of the children of Israel." Or, according to Josephus (Antiq. iii, 8,9,10), the four elements are indicated here: for "cedar-wood" was added to the fire, to signify the earth, on account of its earthiness; "[color=purple]hyssop[/color]," to signify the air, on account of its smell; "scarlet twice dyed," to signify water, for the same reason as purple, on account of the dyes which are taken out of the water: thus denoting the fact that this sacrifice was offered to the Creator of the four elements.[/quote]

[quote]His thirst, and all such like things pertaining to His weakness. Three things were added, viz. "cedar-wood," which denotes the height of hope or contemplation; "[color=purple]hyssop[/color]," in token of humility or faith; "scarlet twice dyed," which denotes twofold charity; for it is by these three that we should cling to Christ suffering.[/quote]

[quote]Now this purification of a leper was twofold: for, in the first place, he was declared to be clean; and, secondly, he was restored, as clean, to the society of men and to the worship of God, to wit, after seven days. At the first purification the leper who sought to be cleansed offered for himself "two living sparrows . . . cedar-wood, and scarlet, and [color=purple]hyssop[/color]," in such wise that a sparrow and the [color=purple]hyssop [/color]should be tied to the cedar-wood with a scarlet thread, so that the cedar-wood was like the handle of an aspersory: while the [color=purple]hyssop [/color]and sparrow were that part of the aspersory which was dipped into the blood of the other sparrow which was "immolated . . . over living waters." These things he offered as an antidote to the four defects of leprosy: for cedar-wood, which is not subject to putrefaction, was offered against the putrefaction; [color=purple]hyssop[/color], which is a sweet-smelling herb, was offered up against the stench; a living sparrow was offered up against numbness; and scarlet, which has a vivid color, was offered up against the repulsive color of leprosy. The living sparrow was let loose to fly away into the plain, because the leper was restored to his former liberty. [/quote]

[quote]Now this living sparrow, together with the cedar-wood and scarlet or cochineal, and [color=purple]hyssop[/color], i.e. faith, hope and charity, as stated above (ad 5), was put into the water for the purpose of sprinkling, because we are baptized in the faith of the God-Man. By the waters of Baptism or of his tears man washes his clothes, i.e. his works, and all his hair, i.e. his thoughts.[/quote]

[url="http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:wbLti5DdaxUJ:www.newadvent.org/summa/210205.htm+%22To+this+burning+were+added+%22cedar-wood,+and+hyssop,+and+scarlet%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8"]http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:wbLti5D...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: [color=purple]Hyssop[/color]

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07612a.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07612a.htm[/url]

Stripping of an Altar

[url="http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Fp8y155Acp4J:www.newadvent.org/cathen/01349a.htm+%22a+bunch+of+hyssop+dipped+in+wine+and+water,+to+render+them+in+some+manner%22+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8"]http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Fp8y155...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

Bible passages using the word [color=purple]Hyssop[/color]

[url="http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/h/1100376519-4599.html"]http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/wor...76519-4599.html[/url] Edited by Cure of Ars