An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Priesthood and Latin

goldenchild17

depends on the program of formation, which diocese u enter, what seminary they send you to, or even what order. I haven't taken latin and I am not sure if I will have to.

goldenchild17

Okay so you haven't even taken Latin at all? I just have a hard time learning different languages, I tried Latin for a few years and I'm working on Spanish, but have never made any progress in either area. I just don't want this to prohibit my vocation at all. I don't plan on doing all Latin Masses. But I just didn't know how much one normally needs to know.

Thy Geekdom Come

For the diocese I studied for, you didn't need to know Latin, and that was one of the more conservative dioceses.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 30 2004, 08:10 PM'] For the diocese I studied for, you didn't need to know Latin, and that was one of the more conservative dioceses. [/quote]
:(

goldenchild17

Okay thanks ya'll. I would love to learn Latin and be able to do the Latin Mass, but I don't want to be required to know it(otherwise I'd be in a bit of trouble :) )

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='Oct 30 2004, 09:45 PM'] Okay thanks ya'll. I would love to learn Latin and be able to do the Latin Mass, but I don't want to be required to know it(otherwise I'd be in a bit of trouble :) ) [/quote]
I can always tutor ya. ;)

homeschoolmom

Please tell me that priests at least know the prayers of the mass in Latin? ... at least some of 'em?? I hate to think that my third grader will know more Latin than our priest...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Oct 30 2004, 10:00 PM'] Please tell me that priests at least know the prayers of the mass in Latin? ... at least some of 'em?? I hate to think that my third grader will know more Latin than our priest... [/quote]
As far as I know, no.

goldenchild17

Some of the Masses I've seen, like with priests who normally do the Mass in English, if they do a Latin Mass most of the time it looks like they're reading from a book or something.

goldenchild17

[quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 30 2004, 08:59 PM'] I can always tutor ya. ;) [/quote]
Of course I would love to take ya up on the offer :cool: I really do want to learn the language but it just isn't coming to me...

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 30 2004, 09:06 PM'] As far as I know, no. [/quote]
<_<

While I know that this is true, I think it's a horrible, horrible shame. C'mon, Latin's not that difficult... and I'm not suggesting that priests be conversant in it, but please, why can't they learn the tradiational prayers? It hardly takes any time at all. My eight year old learned the Sanctus by learning a line a week. She and I can sing it and recite it. By the end of the school year, we will also know the Pater Noster and a bunch of other prayers. If the priests won't even learn them, they will eventually be lost.

JMJ
10/31 - Thirty-first Sunday

The Church, at least in the USA, is starting to move to a requirement of three semesters of Latin and Greek. The Pontifical North American College in Rome requires at least that much, and many dioceses in America require Latin. I've put in my time with Latin, so I'm turning to modern languages now - I'm studying Italian in Rome and hope to fluently speak Spanish by ordination time.

I also need to put in my time with Greek, but that will come at major seminary. ;)

Theologian in Training

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Oct 30 2004, 11:00 PM'] Please tell me that priests at least know the prayers of the mass in Latin? ... at least some of 'em?? I hate to think that my third grader will know more Latin than our priest... [/quote]
Does the Tantum Ergo, O Salutaris, and Salve Regina count? That is about the extent of the Latin I have gotten and I am in my Third year of Theology. I have learned a few Greek words, usually in biblical classes as well as some Hebrew, but very little Latin.

Pray for our seminaries and our seminarians, we are more impoverished than you may think.

God Bless

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Oct 31 2004, 10:27 PM'] Pray for our seminaries and our seminarians, we are more impoverished than you may think. [/quote]
Amen.

I put out the offer now. I will help any seminarian on this site or others with their Latin if they contact me.