An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are you more orthodox than your parents?

Dave

How orthodox are you compared to your parents?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This poll is for cradle Catholics ONLY!!!!!

I've talked to a lot of devout young Catholics (here on Phatmass and elsewhere) who have said their parents are cafeteria Catholics or aren't very devout. Many others, however, are blessed to have parents who are VERY devout and orthodox. So I'm interested in hearing about what the case is for people here on Phatmass.

BTW, I'm a convert, so I can't very well answer that poll.

Edited by Dave

hmm I need an Other option lol

My dad is a devout Catholic and very orthodox
My mother isn't a practicing Catholic though I'm trying to get her back to the Church, but that's difficult when you live over 1,000 miles away from her

My parents are very orthodox, and so am I.

My mom and dad never exactly fell away from their faith, but they were lukewarm for a while. I think a lot of this was due to the poor catechesis they received as children. My maternal grandparents especially, who had been blessed with such excellent theology teachers as children, simply expected that the school would instruct them properly in matters of the Faith. However, my parents grew up in the sixties and seventies, so this just wasn't the case, unfortunately.

Then when I was about seven years old, they had a reversion, and they've been very devout and orthodox ever since. They also have worked very hard to ensure that we (their children) are brought up to be devout and orthodox. We're all still pretty young, but it is working so far. :)

[quote name='StColette' date='Oct 31 2004, 05:53 PM'] hmm I need an Other option lol
[/quote]
I do, too.

my parents are very devout, though not well catechized.
especially on my Dad's side of the family. That's where most of the ex-Catholics are in my family. He never really went to Mass when he was little in Portugal. He has two bro. who are JW and a sister in non-denom. church

My mom got better instruction and example from my grandparents, but 2 of her sisters and therefore some of my cousins, too, have left the church. :) One of those cousins whose parents and sister are in non-denom. is hardcore Catholic.

My parents are definitely more devout now than they were when we were younger :) but, I am definitely more orthodox than my dad, for ex.

Ash Wednesday

It's hard for me to categorize my parents. My mom was a pretty straight arrow -- never ever missed Mass or feast days, insisted on attending mass even when we travelled. She lived a life of total charity and service, but didn't come across as "traditional" in that she probably was more into informal uplifting prayers like the psalms and the positive aspects of the Gospel -- she was more into that than the traditional novenas or rosary. She wasn't one to deny that hell and sin existed, but she was more interested in focusing on the positive aspects of the gospel and putting the gospel in action.

I'm inclined to think she was the kind of Catholic that Vatican II had intended to produce. One that was active with the church in a modern and positive way, but was committed and wanted to be obedient to the Church.

I can't say enough about my mom. I don't know if I would have much of a faith if it weren't for her quiet and joyful example.

My dad is not really orthodox as a Catholic, but as a person he is still somewhat conservative if that makes any sense. He was raised very strict Catholic -- I almost get the sense that it was in a rather joyless way -- his brother was a priest, sister was a nun. I guess he saw a lot of shady and hypocritical things go on "behind the scenes" that makes him somewhat cynical about the Church. I thought he'd stop going to church after mom died but he still goes. So I have reason to think he has a faith life of his own, though very complex.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Oopsies! I voted before reading the first post....

IF I [b]were[/b] a cradle Catholic, I'd still be more Orthodox than my parents, cause neither of my parents are Catholic [anymore]

neither.

some of you guys told me that since i'm a cradle catholic than i'll always be catholic, so that's why i voted.

my parents are def cafeteria catholics who eat lukewarm food.