An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are you more orthodox than your parents?

Dave

How orthodox are you compared to your parents?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, my dad's a non-practicing Episopalian, and my mom's whole fam just goes to church every sunday because that's what you're supposed to do. Even at that, they like unorthodox things and I'm like :ph34r: . They don't get it. I'm the family odd ball. Yay for odd balls. :D

Well my dad isn't catholic, he's protesant and I don't he has any sort of faith. My mom is catholic but she's REALLY liberal so she's not really orthodox, she just kinda does it for us (my brother and I).

Although I love my parents I think they really affected my faith (in a negative way) towards the church. Up until probably last year I didn't really see any reason to follow what the church says. I'm slowly recovering though.

Shelly freak.

You may say that your unorthodox or non catholic affected your faith in a negative way....
It could be worse I had a family member that affected my faith in a negative way because she was orthodox.....but she acted like it was such a chore that I really try to look like a "bad Catholic" when really at heart I am so traditional, orthodox and striving to be more orthodox. I geuss that even to today I am trying to reconcile being a as orthodox as I am without turning into her........

Balthazor

My mom is for women priests and all that garbage. She's insufferable. It's a real strain on our relationship because she has made efforts to make me less traditional...which really pisses me off. So we avoid talking about religion.
My dad just converted this Easter and since he's a lawyer he started looking into Canon Law so he's getting more and more orthodox every day! It's awesome.

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Nov 1 2004, 01:40 PM'] My mom is for women priests and all that garbage. She's insufferable. It's a real strain on our relationship because she has made efforts to make me less traditional...which really pisses me off. So we avoid talking about religion.
My dad just converted this Easter and since he's a lawyer he started looking into Canon Law so he's getting more and more orthodox every day! It's awesome. [/quote]
Man, she lives with you?

I get mad at people like that that I barely see more than once a month.

Tons of grace your way, mad props. ^_^

Both are very orthodox. We all know our Catechism extremely well. We're into checking out Canon Law. We :wub: the Pope!

Very fortunate. :rolling:

[quote name='Luthien' date='Nov 1 2004, 02:47 PM'] Man, she lives with you?

I get mad at people like that that I barely see more than once a month.

Tons of grace your way, mad props. ^_^

[/quote]
hahaha! Oh thank Heaven that I am in college! As it stands I do see her about once a month or so. Talk to her maybe once a week. Thanks for the grace, lately I've been finding myself less willing to be drawn into an argument. Or to draw myself into one.

heyyoimjohnny

Mom and Dad. THE Catholics I look up to. If I have a question, I can go to them. They always know what the Church teaches. And that's what they're concerned with; what the Church teaches.

...which is probably why [i]I[/i] follow the Church's teachings so diligently. I have some pretty dahn good examples to look up to. :)

• 7 months later...

I'm becoming more orthodox, slowly but surely. My parents are very orthodox. My dad even entered the seminary for awhile. My mom goes to daily mass often if not every day. There some issues where we differ. My Dad believes that married priests would be alright, I tend to disagree. My siblings are a different story. Some of them still practice, but the rest don't practice, and I'm not even sure if they still consider themselves Catholic. I know one of them has told me that he is an Agnostic. Pray for them, all of them. I am the youngest of twelve, so there's a lot of prayers needed.

[FONT=Optima][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]I think it is so wonderful that many of you have been raised in such orthodox households and disheartening to read how many of us aren’t. I think the question you raise is really, really important, for even more situated/contextual/historical reasons than because it’s harder for us to practice our faith and live a Catholic life.

There are several articles out there about the wider trend of orthodoxy in those born post 1980. I think that it is an interesting phenomenon in the Millenial Generation – but, while I concur with those articles based on my own individual experience, I feel that a consequence of this great shift also needs attention – which is what this thread appears to be addressing. Because our values on the whole are more representative of our grandparents than our parents, some us are experiencing a great disparity between our beliefs and those of our parents.

It’s interesting because, traditionally, I have been told that one is “liberal” (I use these terms loosely) when young and grows more “conservative” with the years. But with some of my friends and myself, it is oddly reversed. We jokingly nicknamed our Catholic study group the “I have Heterodox Parents Support Group”. When I would expect my parents and those in their generation (as older, wiser and more experienced mentors) to remind me to live by Christ and according to the Church’s divine inspiration, I find instead comments that the Church’s rules are “more like guidelines” or, well, they don’t really believe the Eucharist became the body and blood of Christ and it’s ok to do x y or z because the specific dogmatic details aren’t really as important – they’re just the institution’s rules.

I know I’m generalizing, but from my experience, it can almost seem sometimes as if those of our parents’ generation are disappointed in us for being “conservative” when in reality we are being orthodox. I have been told by my aunt, for example, that she is disappointed that my brother and I are not more “liberal” – by which she meant socially liberal, promoting a woman’s right to choose and contraception. I get the impression sometimes she feels we are turning our backs on all they have worked for…in the civil rights movement, women’s movement, other movements and protests, etc. and a divide is arising. It pains me to contemplate.

Many of them believed so earnestly in their reform movements and were so strong in their defiance against the practices of the church of their day that I think some of them are at a loss as to why we aren’t furthering the ends of the movements they started – especially in the Church. Simultaneously, I think it’s sometimes hard for us to understand why they don’t see what they advocate as inherently unorthodox and wrong.

This is not to imply that I think all Baby Boomers are heterodox Catholics fundamentally at odds with their progeny; there are millions of devout Catholics of all ages and of all nations and many of us have been fortunate enough to be raised in homes and communities with them. I point out this generational conflict, however, motivated to do so by personal experience, as a particular manifestation of the seemingly peculiar reversal of beliefs which grew out of the seismic developments in the 20th century.

Does anyone else have some insights into this? How historically it seems to have developed and what to do about it (besides pray, which, granted, can do a lot)?

I’d like to know if what I observe is true for other young Catholics – as it appears to be from previous posts in this thread. Do you have this reversal and this discrepancy in your lives? How do you cope with that?

I don’t know how to defend myself and stand against those who are, in more ways than one, my authorities. It powerfully exemplifies the parable of leaving one’s father and mother to follow the Way of and for Christ…but what confuses me most, is that my parents and their friends honestly believe they did that too :(

What does this mean? And what do we do?

welcome Cassie! :D hey guys, be nice, this is one of my little Newman Clubers from college, she rocks! :)