An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just wanting to know

PaxVobis

Hi Ryan.

I'm Mark, just moved to the Diocese of Evansville. For the past couple of years, my wife and I have had the call for me to enter the Permanent Diaconate (just met Ryan's dad too....).

Problem here is this: I am a career Army officer. That said, I have no desire to become a chaplain (can't anyhow). The conflict could arise that the bishop doesn't allow me to start the process of becoming a deacon, simply because of my military committment, which is understandable. That said, I will follow the call, and see what happens. The way I see it, if the call is true, the conflicts will work out.

Besides, I'm on a mission from God.

I'm Dave, junior at Saint Louis U, discerning a vocation either to the Diaconate priesthood in either the St. Louis Archdiocese or the Archdiocese of Detroit, or to the Dominicans. Ach, the start of that sounds somewhat like a twist on the stereotypical AA introductions...
"Hi, I'm Dave" *Hi Dave!* "And, I, uh, love Jesus." *yay*

Cappie, aka Fr Greg Rowles, I joined the Capuchins (Archbishop O'Malley and Archbishop Chaput are also Caps) in 1976 and studied for the Priesthood at the Catholic Theological Union at Hunters Hill in Sydney, Australia. I was ordained to the priesthood on 10th December 1983 in Sydney, Australia. I have worked in parish life since since ordination. I was Parish Priest in Wynnum, Brisbane, Australia from 1989 - 1999 and since 2000 in Plumpton (a large parish of some 12000 Catholics, 3 Catholic schools and 5 state schools), Sydney Australia. As well as the parochial duties, I am involved in Adult Education and youth work.

friarMatt is friar Matt, I am a Franciscan friar. I just made my first vows a couple months ago. I just started studing theology in preparation for priesthood. I live in Washington, DC now, and am originally from Boston.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='BurkeFan' date='Nov 17 2004, 03:08 PM'] I'm Dave, junior at Saint Louis U, discerning a vocation either to the Diaconate priesthood in either the St. Louis Archdiocese or the Archdiocese of Detroit, or to the Dominicans. Ach, the start of that sounds somewhat like a twist on the stereotypical AA introductions...
"Hi, I'm Dave" *Hi Dave!* "And, I, uh, love Jesus." *yay* [/quote]
St. Louis U? A friend of mine goes there...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Nov 17 2004, 09:08 PM'] St. Louis U? A friend of mine goes there... [/quote]
Really? Who? If he/she's involved with the non Campus Ministry Catholic circles, I might know him/her.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='BurkeFan' date='Dec 6 2004, 12:26 PM'] *looks him up*
Ah, yeah, I don't know many freshmen, quite honestly. What's his major? [/quote]
hmmmm... pre-med? I'm not entirely sure...

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Dec 6 2004, 12:41 PM'] hmmmm... pre-med? I'm not entirely sure... [/quote]
Yeah, chances are that I wouldn't have any contact with him at all. Had he been doing something like Theology, I would have urged you to recommend to him that he run away quickly into the arms of the Philosophy Dept.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='BurkeFan' date='Dec 6 2004, 01:21 PM'] Yeah, chances are that I wouldn't have any contact with him at all. Had he been doing something like Theology, I would have urged you to recommend to him that he run away quickly into the arms of the Philosophy Dept. [/quote]
:D