An Old School Catholic Message Board

Goodbye Goodmen

vianney

I've read conflicting things about the book. The most recent seems a little more moderate. It seems that there are some serious problems in some seminaries, but it is not as widespread as it seems. I think the problems exist in many seminaries, but not most. I do think it is a symptom of some Bishops not properly doing their job, but hopefully, the recent scandal will chase out or change these Bishops.

Theologian in Training

I've read conflicting things about the book.  The most recent seems a little more moderate.  It seems that there are some serious problems in some seminaries, but it is not as widespread as it seems.  I think the problems exist in many seminaries, but not most.  I do think it is a symptom of some Bishops not properly doing their job, but hopefully, the recent scandal will chase out or change these Bishops.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but....most of what he says is true and exactly as it is. It is unfortunate, and the scandals "helped," but the realities he speaks of still do exist.

Pray for our seminaries and seminarians that they may lead a life of holiness and not be caught up in the wiles, deceits, and temptations of the flesh and the world.

God Bless

Great, I'm depressed now. Would it be improper to ask the seminarians I know more specific questions?

What Diocese is your seminary in? Does the Bishop have a great effect on seminaries, or are they more autonomous of the Bishop and are run by Church Bureaucrats?

I am a seminarian for the Diocese of Sioux City. I know the seminaries that our diocese sends our guys to is amazing. I go to Saint John Vianney Minor Sem in St Paul and the things that the author of goodbye goodmen wrote of were nowhere to be found at the .seminary I attend. Dont get me wrong Im sure some of what he wrote is true, just not in the seminaries our diocese sends there guys to. Also I think most of those problems that were described in the book are done away with at most of the moderate to conservative seminaries I have seen. St Greg the great in lincolln, st meinrad in indiana, st marys in emmitsburg, st charles in philly, st john vianny in st paul and denver, st marys in winona etc etc...Just wanted to get this forums thoughts on the book.

cmotherofpirl

It all depends on the diocese you are talking about. Some are quite notorious, some are quite orthodox. I depends on the quality and strength of character of the local Bishop.

Theologian in Training

I am a seminarian for the Diocese of Sioux City. I know the seminaries that our diocese sends our guys to is amazing. I go to Saint John Vianney Minor Sem in St Paul and the things that the author of goodbye goodmen wrote of were nowhere to be found at the .seminary I attend. Dont get me wrong Im sure some of what he wrote is true, just not in the seminaries our diocese sends there guys to. Also I think most of those problems that were described in the book are done away with at most of the moderate to conservative seminaries I have seen. St Greg the great in lincolln, st meinrad in indiana, st marys in emmitsburg, st charles in philly, st john vianny in st paul and denver, st marys in winona etc etc...Just wanted to get this forums thoughts on the book.

Agreed. However, I am in a program right now that has seminarians from all around the United States, so I get to hear a lot of this stuff firsthand. All of those I have spoken to are talking about major seminaries and not college seminaries. True, he takes an exaggerated stance on a lot of issues, but that does not negate the truth of the situation.

I don't want to make any false accusations, and my evidence is based upon speaking to seminarians all around the U.S. Some are good, some are bad, and some are ugly. I don't want to bring up specifics because I would rather not focus on a particular diocese, seminary, and/or bishop, but the sad fact is the majority of what Rose has written is true, and though the seminaries are getting better, they certainly have not been *fully* cleansed.

The bishop does have control, the problem is how much control he wishes to exert.

Due to the fact that I am a major seminarian in a very well known diocese, I would rather not give specifics. Just know that seminaries *are* changing, so there is hope, but they still need a real spring cleaning.

Pray for our seminarians, seminaries, rectors, vice rectors, and bishops.

God Bless

Edited by Theologian in Training