An Old School Catholic Message Board

just some thoughts

daugher-of-Mary

daugher-of-Mary

I'm in my junior year of highschool and have been discerning a vocation (off and on again) since I was 11 years old. My senior year is coming up fast and I still have no idea what direction to take. My mom would like me to get a college degree as a "just in case" precaution, but I really don't want the burden of debts. Am I bound to be obedient to my mom in this situation? I know she won't tell me to go to college, but she would really like me to. I've thought about doing a year of missions, but have been unable to find an orthodox Catholic mission organization that would take people my age. Any advice, especially from my older and wiser phamily members? Prayers would be greatly appreciated. :unsure:

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

Check out the Servant's of the Lord and the Virgin Matara...I believe they are pretty Orthodox...Check out their website: [url="http://www.servidoras.org"]http://www.servidoras.org[/url]

Totus Tuus,
Andrew

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Nov 21 2004, 10:04 PM'] My mom would like me to get a college degree as a "just in case" precaution, but I really don't want the burden of debts. [/quote]
My mom said the same thing. Of course I already had 5/8 semesters of college under my belt when I brought it up. Since you don't have any college you are not losing anything. If it doesn't work out, you can always start school when you come out. If I knew I wanted to enter religious life after high school I would have done it before accumulating debt because debt smells of elderberries as I now know. On the other hand, if you get a free ride to some university, you may want to consider that...

I totally agree with Andrea. Especially if you get a full ride somewhere and you don't know exactly where you want to go! On the other hand, if you have a pretty good idea about what you want to do, I'd go for religious life because you can always go to college if you realize that you aren't called. The loans make things pretty hard when you want to follow your vocation after college but have to wait to enter until they are covered.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

There are also many orders that will pay for you to go to school. They usually send you to a State school, but it is a college education ;)

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Nov 22 2004, 09:36 PM'] There are also many orders that will pay for you to go to school. They usually send you to a State school, but it is a college education ;) [/quote]
good point....that's what the order i hope to join does...

too bad orders don't forgive school debt....i understand why though and it makes total sense

I know the Martyrs usually send their Sisters to school at FUS and Benedictine in Kansas. Back when they lived in the dorms, I lived across the hall from them!

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Nov 21 2004, 09:04 PM'] I'm in my junior year of highschool and have been discerning a vocation (off and on again) since I was 11 years old. My senior year is coming up fast and I still have no idea what direction to take. My mom would like me to get a college degree as a "just in case" precaution, but I really don't want the burden of debts. Am I bound to be obedient to my mom in this situation? I know she won't tell me to go to college, but she would really like me to. I've thought about doing a year of missions, but have been unable to find an orthodox Catholic mission organization that would take people my age. Any advice, especially from my older and wiser phamily members? Prayers would be greatly appreciated.  :unsure: [/quote]
wow, God bless your vocation, jgirl, whatever it may be specifically! I personally have not been discerning my vocation as long as you so my situation may or may not specifically apply to you but here's my case. I am definitely open to religious life but do not yet feel the call so I am also unsure (I am a graduate student and a 1st gr. teacher). Well, in my case, my plan with much, MUCH prayer (more coming, and now for you too!) is to go to finish my school as opportunity allows me (which it now has) and keep praying because my school is valuable to me no matter where I go. For example, a couple of religious orders that come to my mind would benefit me and my religious community if I had my education. I know from experience of many people around me that the opportunity for me to go to school now as easily as it is now and was (young, no major responsibilities in the way) may not always be here. I know that if I waited too long the opportunity for me to go to school as quickly as I have (save money same time) might not be there. I do have alot of debt but my family works as unit to help me, I depend on financial aide entirely and try not to put price on my education because I know no matter where I go, I can be more useful to whomever I am serving because of it, religious life, single, or married. that is my situation anyway. overall, college is not cheap and is a struggle but like all other things, God will help you through it if its all apart of his plan. I'm referring to religious orders and you spoke about missions so your plan of action may be entirely different. pray that God guide you and who knows? God might be telling you his first plan of action through your mother...pray and keep looking into the missionary info too!!

Your vocation is definitely in my prayers, though, jgirl! God bless ya! :)

Edited by angelica

[quote name='angelica' date='Nov 23 2004, 03:53 AM'] wow, God bless your vocation, jgirl, whatever it may be specifically! I personally have not been discerning my vocation as long as you so my situation may or may not specifically apply to you but here's my case. I am definitely open to religious life but do not yet feel the call so I am also unsure (I am a graduate student and a 1st gr. teacher). Well, in my case, my plan with much, MUCH prayer (more coming, and now for you too!) is to go to finish my school as opportunity allows me (which it now has) and keep praying because my school is valuable to me no matter where I go. For example, a couple of religious orders that come to my mind would benefit me and my religious community if I had my education. I know from experience of many people around me that the opportunity for me to go to school now as easily as it is now and was (young, no major responsibilities in the way) may not always be here. I know that if I waited too long the opportunity for me to go to school as quickly as I have (save money same time) might not be there. I do have alot of debt but my family works as unit to help me, I depend on financial aide entirely and try not to put price on my education because I know no matter where I go, I can be more useful to whomever I am serving because of it, religious life, single, or married. that is my situation anyway. overall, college is not cheap and is a struggle but like all other things, God will help you through it if its all apart of his plan. I'm referring to religious orders and you spoke about missions so your plan of action may be entirely different. pray that God guide you and who knows? God might be telling you his first plan of action through your mother...pray and keep looking into the missionary info too!!

Your vocation is definitely in my prayers, though, jgirl! God bless ya! :) [/quote]
^ in the above, i meant to refer to daugher-of-Mary not to jgirl, my mistake.

JMJ
11/23 - Pope St. Clement I

If you feel that a college education would make you a better nun, then go. In fact, I would argue that a college education is indispensible for being a good religious, since you can't love what you don't know, and college can teach you to know God (and thus to love Him more).

Granted, generations of nuns haven't gone to college, but if you have the ability, it might be worth considering.

daugher-of-Mary

Wow. Thanks for all the input, pham. That helped a lot. I have to admit, I worry way to much. I have to trust that my Spouse-to-be has everything in control. ;) Please do pray for me, and know of my prayers for all you holy people!

Some Catholic colleges (Christendom, Thomas Aquinas, Ave Maria...i think) will waive part or all of your debt if you join a religious order after graduation. An education, especially at a Catholic college, is never wasted.

Hey everyone! Just thought I would give my two cents.......right now I'm discerning with the Nashville Dominicans and am planning to finish college before I enter. Personally, I just wasn't sure enough in my vocation (and still am not!) to enter right after high school. The earliest I could enter would be Aug. of 2007, when I would get my BA and have provisional teaching certification. I am using the two years before I enter to grow in love for the Faith and study some theology. See, I came from public school and so I didn't really learn about the Faith, so I have a lot to catch up on!

I also wanted to let everyone know about a great organization called the Laboure Foundation. It helps people who want to enter religious life get rid of their debt. There have been some remarkable stories of men and women who have had all of their school debts paid off!

Here's the site: [url="http://www.labourefoundation.org/"]Laboure Foundation[/url]

On the flip side of all this, many orders that I know of will have you get your BA and sometimes your MA and/or PhD. I know the Nashville sisters all get a BA in elementary ed and then get an MA in theology. So, just do some investigative work and find out about the orders you're interested in. Chances are, once your parents find out that you WILL still get a college education, they will be much more receptive to the idea.

That's all for now!

Emily