An Old School Catholic Message Board

retreat recommendations?

daveybe

Part of the requirement for my pastoral year assignment is a 6-8 day retreat. I get to pick the location, and the seminary pays for all but transportation. Oh, and it has to be a directed retreat (i.e., individual, but with a daily meeting with a retreat director)

So i thought i'd pick the collective brain of my Vocation Prayer Budz. If you could take a retreat anywhere in the USA, where would it be?
(sorry, i know there's lotsa peeps here who are not from the USA, but my travel budget is limited. :blush:)

Two things i'm looking for are:
(1) orthodoxy!
(2) a good director with some hardcore spirituality. You know, somebody you just look at and [i]feel[/i] the transcendant connection they have.

Thanx Ev'body!
D.Be

Monasteries are usually wonderful to go to, and very orthodox! Not all of them have a retreat place, but I know one in particular that does. E-mail me, or talk to me on AIM, and I can tell you more!

Hi Urbo, and welcome :wave:

[quote name='urbo42' date='Nov 24 2004, 01:03 PM']1. Where do you live?[/quote]
I'm in the diocese of Buffalo, NY.

[quote]2. How far are you willing to travel?[/quote]
Willing to go just about anywhere in the US. Lotsa good dealz on airfare these days.

Thanks!

My community (the conventual franciscans, think St. Francis HS in Athol Springs or Corpus Christi Church in East Buffalo) has the National Shrine of St. Maximillian Kolbe, also called Marytown. It is about 40 minutes outside of Chicago. They have perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, they pray most of the office in common and other devotations and I am sure there is a friar who could meet with you for for direction.

www.marytown.com

just a thought!

in Christ and Mary,
fr. Matt

Sorry for not replying to my earlier post, i have been gone for thanksgiving break and so forth. There is a retreat center opening in rural South Dakota that would be fitting for a retreat that you are looking for. If you have any questions please e-mail me at ajurban@stthomas.edu

Many thanks to all for your great recommendations. I've been checking them all out and now have a tough decision to make :) As Augustine said, we always choose from a multiplicity of goods.

I won't need to let the seminary know my plans for another week or two, so last minute suggestions are still welcome.

God bless y'all for your charitable help,
D.Be

daugher-of-Mary

The [url="http://sisterservants.com/"]Sister Servants[/url] have a beautiful retreat house. I'm sure they would welcome you, and the MFVAs are 5 minutes away if you need to find a spiritual director.

I second Daughter of Mary. Casa Maria is pretty cool. The Sisters make it even better. Plus, they have Fr. Lambert as their chaplain. He's a Dominican priest and an all around brilliant, but humble man of God.

one of the best retreats i went on wasn't an average retreat. 3 Life teen groups headed out to the countryside and stayed 2 days out there. We didn't have any set plans and let God guide us. We worshipped God blindfolded (great for beginers). It was one of the best weekends of my life so far. Just go out to the peace and quite and do what God tells you to do. There was only to or 3 guitars and thats it. Contact Bob if you have any questions.

[quote name='rbtobeck' date='Dec 2 2004, 08:29 PM'] one of the best retreats i went on wasn't an average retreat. 3 Life teen groups headed out to the countryside and stayed 2 days out there. We didn't have any set plans and let God guide us. We worshipped God blindfolded (great for beginers). It was one of the best weekends of my life so far. Just go out to the peace and quite and do what God tells you to do. There was only to or 3 guitars and thats it. Contact Bob if you have any questions. [/quote]
:o that sounds so cool!

yea it was an awesome weekend. If it wasn't for that weekend, I probably wouldnt be on the site right now. If you want me to give you some information on what we did specifictly, give me an instant message on AIM at "rbtobeck"

peace