An Old School Catholic Message Board

Martin Sheen, Radical Catholic?

BLAZEr

Q: What are your views on abortion?

Sheen: I cannot make a choice for a women, particularly a black or brown or poor pregnant woman. I would not make a judgment in the case. As a father and a grandfather, I have had experience with children who don't always come when they are planned, and I have experienced the great joy of God's presence in my children, so I'm inclined to be against abortion of any life. But I am equally against the death penalty or war-- anywhere people are sacrificed for some end justifying a means. I don't think abortion is a good idea. I personally am opposed to abortion, but I will not judge anybody else's right in that regard because I am not a woman and I could never face the actual reality of it.

This is supposed to be the quote of a "Radical" catholic? Sounds like a pretty typical wish washy Catholic to me.

here's the whole interview: http://www.progressive.org/july03/intv0703.html

As staunch a Demoncrat as Sheen is, does that really come as a shock?

Not only that, I heard somewhere that he doesn't believe that missing Mass in sinful!

I actually had the pleasure of meeting Martin Sheen just over a week ago. He has been arrested several times for speaking for peace, for the rights of latin american labour activists who had their wages abused..working with cesar chavez, and works at a homeless soup kitchen once a week. All this from an emmy-nominated actor, who has more than enough blessings to live comfortably and forget what it is like to be Catholic. His faith has been the root of his activism, and I think he has done more with the many things he has been blessed with than most on this board. I was truly honoured to meet him, and it has inspired me to do more from my very comfortable place in society.

But FreeSoul, if he won't take a stand for the most innocent of humans, namely the unborn, that doesn't say much for him. Working on behalf of the homeless and oppressed is good, but there are those who need far more protection and help.

Just because he doesn't act like a militant pro-lifer doesn't mean he doesn't care. He said he dosen't like abortion. I think he's just one of those pro-lifers who consider that part of promoting life is promoting COMPASSION AND UNDERSTANDING for those who partake in the practice.

Just because he doesn't act like a militant pro-lifer doesn't mean he doesn't care. He said he dosen't like abortion. I think he's just one of those pro-lifers who consider that part of promoting life is promoting COMPASSION AND UNDERSTANDING for those who partake in the practice.

Wait a minute, now.

Sheen is a Democrat. This may not apply to all Democrats, but the official position of the Democratic Party is that abortion should be legal. In addition, Sheen's argument is the same kind used by various pro-abortion "Catholic" politicians who claim to be personally opposed to abortion but don't want to "impose their morality on others." Well, when people make statements like that, anything after "but" is bulls---.

And what is compassion and understanding? Is it smiling and doing nothing while letting a person speed unhindered down the short, easy road to hell or trying to turn them from that path? Actually, I'll tell you what it is -- it's the latter. In the Bible God made it clear that if we remain silent or do nothing when evil is committed, it will be on OUR heads.

Edited by Dave

rhetoric? Does it really make you not-compassionate to say to someone "I love you and I understadn how difficult your situation is, but if you have an abortion you're killing a human being." . . . I mean, have you ever heard someone say "Well, you know, I really cant' judge that rapist because he had a hard childhood growing up and was sexually abused by his aunt, so even though I'm personally against rape and wouldn't rape anyone myself, I sure don't want that rapist guy to feel judged" . . . Please, I have worked with post-abortive women for the last 3 years and they say overwhelmingly, "I wish someone had told me how serious my decision was and how much I would regreat it. I wish someone had tired harder to stop me."

Abortion has TWO victims, a baby and its mother. It does both of them to not speak the truth to them.

littleflower+JMJ

martin sheen has the power and the money to speak up for the unborn, they need a voice to speak for them and their mothers who are victims.

and its sad and disappointing when he doesn't do that.

if he was a true catholic, it shouldn't be an issue and he wouldn't be buying any of that carp about choice and abortion.

i find that ironic how he stands for peace when he can't stand for life.

whats up with that?

Pope John Paul II says, If you want peace, work for justice.

and the murdering of unborn children is one of those calling for justice.

those unborn children and hurting mothers have no voice, but our voice.

if we don't fight for them who will?

shame on martin sheen for givign htat answer.

i will pray for him.

Abortion is evil, I mean do you guyz know how they actually kill the baby? The baby either gets burned to death (in which some rare cases it survives), chopped into pieces and sucked into a vacuum, taken out before it has a shape, or, in some instances, killed before COMPLETELY being out of the womb. Now you guys must remember, the baby can still feel pain. If any of you doubt me I can show you some gruesome pictures.

littleflower+JMJ

Abortion is evil, I mean do you guyz know how they actually kill the baby? The baby either gets burned to death (in which some rare cases it survives), chopped into pieces and sucked into a vacuum, taken out before it has a shape, or, in some instances, killed before COMPLETELY being out of the womb. Now you guys must remember, the baby can still feel pain. If any of you doubt me I can show you some gruesome pictures.

exactly! thats why its so important that we stand up for abortion and for the innocent lives of the unborn babies and their mothers who are victims.

their counting on us...

Mother Teresa said "The fruit of abortion is Nuclear War."

She also said "There will not be peace on earth until there is peace in the womb."

Dorothy Day, Martin Sheen's hero apparently, was also unequivocally PRO-LIFE for unborn children. In fact, much of her conversion (and eventual baptism) came after an abortion she had in her early 20's. She lived with the pain of that abortion for her whole life and she saw the birth of her daughter Tamar (who is ironically pro-choice) as God's way of telling her she was forgiven for her abortion.

littleflower+JMJ

yup. mother theresa (i forgot when and where it was) was invited to the Breakfeast of Peace (not sure what the correct title was) at the White HOuse when Clinton was in there and she spoke about peace.

and thats the main thing she said to all the other peace leaders there.

she said, the greatest crime in the US is abortion. when a culture is killing babies and not being open to life and to God, there is no peace (im paraphrasing here).

and there will not be peace until abortion comes to an end.

thats why i love mother therese so much. she stood up for life. for peace. for God.

she's an inspiration to all of us.

she changed the world for working and serving God, can't we do the same?

think about if we all did what mother theresa did....the world would be a much better place thats for sure..........

+JMJ