An Old School Catholic Message Board

Here's Your Chance...

Good Friday

Do you agree with Rev. Fred Phelps' idea to erect this monument?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Funny that this should be here, because I just got back from a play called The Laramie Project in which that Baptist preacher is one of the characters. The play is about the death of Matthew Shepherd. Actually, some were expecting him to show up here at our school to protest the play, but he didn't. Supposedly he was protesting some other version of it elsewhere in Washington. I thought that I would mention that one of the characters in the play is the Catholic priest who put on the first candlelight vigil. His character was truly amesome, and the actor, who himself was gay, playing him found him to be very admirable. It was one more time I was glad to be a Catholic, although I'm also painfully aware Catholics have often been part of the problem, rather than part of the solution. All in all, it was an interesting play, although rather non-traditional.

hyperdulia again

I think Rev. Phelps is more honest than most "Christians" when it comes to homosexuality. He loudly and proudly proclaims that he has no compassion for gays and lesbians and that he thinks God hates us. There are many who share those opinions, but phrase it in prettier terms.

whether or not you agree with homosexuality...no one can really say for sure who is in hell and who isn't. the church doesn't even claim to know who's gone to hell. it's a stupid statement since he really doesn't know for sure. waste of time. it's based off his own thoughts...

• 4 weeks later...
hyperdulia again

Ave María, grátia plena, Dóminus tecum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta María, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatóribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostræ. Amen.

dUSt I am begging you to delete my account, because whatever is left of my Catholicity WILL NOT survive posting on this site, and I haven't the discipline to just not post.

I'm not sure why Hyper chose to use this post as an example of why this place will hurt his Catholicity, since this thread is an example of Catholics standing up against actual injustice against homosexuals rather than the pretend injustice created by the secularist media, special interest groups, and politicians. When I posted this, I was in "heretic mode," and I was actually quite impressed with the overwhelming Catholic response against this horrible plaque that was going to be put up.

But I guess when all one wants to see is Catholic bigotry against homosexuals, one will see it everywhere... even when they're actually doing something to help. God knows I've been there.

CatholicAndFanatical

hyper what is it about this site that makes you upset? So far were all agreeing that this Rev is really no Reverend of Christ but of Satan, filled with hate for another human being.

I think this mr phelps should be brought up on charges.

I dont agree with homosexuality either, but my motto is "Love the person and hate the sin", isnt that what were all suppose to be doing?

Ash Wednesday

Chrysologus,

Our college theater department put on the Laramie Project play here last year. I didn't see the play but some followers of Phelps actually came to our college to picket the show. They probably came when you were there as well, because if they catch word about it, they will come and picket the show, no matter where.

They also decided to choose a church in town to picket as well. Which one? My local parish. Wee.

I can't help but wonder if these people actually LIKE it when they make people angry. They think it's a surefire indicator that they are preaching truth. If anyone encounters these people, do not retaliate with physical anger or give them any more attention than they deserve. A great deal of their travel is funded from lawsuits they won from angry people that assaulted them.

It's all so very sad.

I think Rev. Phelps is more honest than most "Christians" when it comes to homosexuality.  He loudly and proudly proclaims that he has no compassion for gays and lesbians and that he thinks God hates us.  There are many who share those opinions, but phrase it in prettier terms.

I agree with you in this quote; and there are a lot of other things that are candy-coated by some Christians who really don't have the love of Christ in their hearts. Prejudice doesn't offend me anymore b/c this life will pass like a shadow and all those bigots, even this pastor, will answer to the Supreme judge and will burn for their sins. I still pray that they will offer their hearts to Jesus and be saved and raised up on the Last Day.

Again with the hate motive… and the anger.

This “Reverend” is no better than homosexual activists that attack Catholic churches.

He seems just as blinded by hate.