An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confirmation Names

BlondewithaBrain

Art  Catherine of Bologna

Artists  Luke

Musicians/Music  Cecelia, Gregory, Arnulf of Soissons, Benedict Biscop, Dunstan, Genesius of Rome, Notkar Balbulus, Paul the Apostle

Actors  Genesius

Thanks, you wouldn't believe how hard I looked for those. I couldn't find them anywhere, and my priest didn't know what i was talking about when I asked him. Thanks.

My confirmation name's Veronica, b/c when I was little my Grandma would always take me to her prayer hour.  I loved doing the stations of the cross, and she told me the story w/ Veronica, and I wanted to have that kind of humility.  First to step up and offer comfort to someone who was unjustly condemed, but also to give all I can offer to Christ.  The thing is when I got confirmed I didn't really know how important humility is and how much I'm in need of it.

amesome avaitar, sista2b!!! Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. Are you up in Michigan?

All for the Immaculata,

Katrina

:unsure: :ph34r: :unsure: i was just thinkin :blink::huh::unsure: :ph34r:

is the sacrament of Confirmation valid if u don't necessarily have the intent. what if u were just there cuz ur parents were makin u be there? isn't there some thing with other sacraments where the form hasta be right AND the intent

if i didn't even really believe when i was confirmed, and was just doin it cuz it was expected, am i still validly confirmed? :ph34r:

if not... i definitely gotta hop on the bus to Pittsburgh and see the Bishop!

• 4 weeks later...
IcePrincessKRS

I love St. Augustine. He's uber. :)

My 12 year old sister just informed me that she's choosing St. Maria Goretti for her Confirmation saint. I forget how the subject came up but I mentioned that she was my patron and thats when she told me--oh, nm, I remember, I was going through some medals and found the Maria Goretti one my aunt gave me for my Confirmation--anyhow, we thought it was really cool that we'd picked the same saint.

I was stupid so I decided to be oh so original and pick TWO confirmation saints St. Daniel and St. Jude. I even hyphenated it, it's that way on my records!

Daniel-Jude

I chose Daniel because I dressed like him for Halloween once and I loved it! Plus he refused to Disobey God and when he was thrown in with the Lions, they became like little kittens. Sweet!

And I chose Jude because I thought I was a desperate cause, and because my Mom loved him, and it was the name of my Parish. I miss St. Jude's . . . well, just the name!

Peace out

I picked St. Catherine of Siena b/c our teacher told us that girls couldn't have guy saints (I wanted Maximilian Kolbe), so I picked my patron saint. (Katrina is a form of Catherine)

The more I got to learning about her, she's pretty cool! One of the few women doctors of the church, she bossed the pope around.. :P

I kinda adopted Max, too.. so when people ask what my Confirmation name is, I can say "Katrina Linn Catherine Maximilian" :D

I know a nun named Sr. Maximilliana . . . she's a Missionary of Charity . . . if she can have his name, why not you? BTW, I also know an MC named Sr. Joshua . . . she's a friend of mine. I hope she's praying for me!!

is the sacrament of Confirmation valid if u don't necessarily have the intent. what if u were just there cuz ur parents were makin u be there? isn't there some thing with other sacraments where the form hasta be right AND the intent

Aloysius, I'm not sure what to tell you. I think you should check with a very orthodox priest. When I was going to be confirmed in April, I posed the same question on the phorum because I didn't believe but I was going to be confirmed anyway. I was informed by some very credible sources that my Confirmation would be invalid if I didn't believe everything that the Church taught, or if I didn't believe in what was happening, etc. I almost put an end to RCIA right there, but luckily God's grace prevailed and my faith came back to me prior to my Confirmation. God has had overwhelming mercy on me.

That said, when I was confirmed in April, I chose the name Michael. I chose it primarily for two reasons. One was very selfish: I wanted St. Michael's constant protection, because my faith is very weak and I am very vulnerable to Satan (as many of you have probably noticed :P). The other was less selfish: I wanted to defend the Church and God as St. Michael defends Them. So far, I have not done very well. In fact, there have been times when St. Michael probably should have come down and whooped my butt. But I'm still trying, and I'm not sure I would even still be trying if not for the patronage of St. Michael.

So yes, your Confirmation name is very important, not to be taken lightly. The saint whose name you choose will be your constant companion throughout life.

Seatbelt Blue

Yup, anyone can choose any sait they want. I think its pretty much common practice to keep to girl saints if you're a girl and guy saints if you're a guy--it may have even been a "rule" at one point, I'm not really sure. But I do know lots of girls who have chosen male saints for their Conrifmation patrons.

I chose Maria Goretti because I wanted a holy and pure role model. If I had known at the time that I could choose a male saint I may have chosen Augustine. He was very human, he had his faults but he overcame them. Very cool. :) Or maybe St. Jude... we all know what he's the patron of. lol

And yet, here I am, a guy, and my confirmation name is Joan, after St. Joan of Arc, to whom I feel I owe a great part of my conversion.

I'm getting confirmed in February. I think I'm gonna pick St. Justine, the patron of the green scapular, b/c she was big on praying for non-Christians and helping them come to God. Still researching....