An Old School Catholic Message Board

youth groups

therevolution

Well I guess technically I'm not in youth group anymore seeing as I'm a big college kid but I do help out so I guess I'll spill.

We're St. Margret Mary youth ministry seperated into two divisions, Bullfrogs for jr. high kids and Target for high school kids. I myself have been called to be a youth minister so I guess overall my 5 years in youth ministry have changed my life. The fact that not only do we have a great high school ministry we also involve jr high kids so they can join yg earlier is definatly my favorite part. My youth minister and I have talked about it and we've found that what really helps a yg to gain large numbers ii having an outlet for jr high kids, getting them involved earlier. I joined youth group after my second year as a camper at our summer camp.

[quote name='therevolution' date='Dec 16 2004, 02:07 PM'] you guys all sound so close to each other in terms of location, where are you guys anyways? [/quote]
I'm right here, always have been... :mellow:

Where are you? WHere'd you go?! :ph34r: :unsure:

Ahh....

Nativity Catholic Life Teen BABY!!! WOOP! (btw...I love all you LTers!...we should chat someday!)

Anyways...I'm not in High School any more..but I'm a Core Team member (which is an adult in the YG for all the non-LTers!
We've got LifeTEEN for our High schoolers and we've got a thing called LIFE FORCE for our middle schoolers (I forgot what Life F.O.R.C.E. meant.....but it's cool)

Anyways...what's sooo awesome with ours is that everyone is a family. We all are very open and very close. When LifeTEEN had the HUB parishes...we were the HUB for the Diocese of St. Petersburg FLORIDA BABY! But we don't have HUBS any more....so we're not...but anyways...it's AWESOME...the music is put together by 3 of the Core Team members...2 of them are engaged to each other...I just think that's SO sweet!) And then the trips are amazing...and the retreats....it's awesome...

I joined YG when I was in confirmation. My momma MADE me go....just ot make my grandma happy...and so I went on our Confirmation retreat (which was mandatory) and I LOVED IT!!! I had SOOO much fun...so then I went every week after that. And now...after 5 years....I'm a Youth Minister in Training!

I love it.

Go LT! :cyclops:

name: HRYG (Holy Redeemer Youth Grou)
ages: high school with the occasional college kid who is unwilling to leave
cool thing: last hour of each Sunday night is spent in prayer, reflecting on a reading or bible passage. we do both personal refection and then group refection.
how i got there: ncyc 3(?) years ago when i sat down next to the youth minister of HR on the bus to the kids art museum in indy.

lifeteenchick527

name: STM LifeTeen (st. thomas more)
ages: high school age teens
Cool Thing: the way that the core teaches us and the retreats and get togethers
how i got there: my moms friend's husband started it when i was in 6th grade or so and ive wanted to be in it since then

God Bless
LTC :cool:

St. John Bosco Catholic Youth Ministry (or just "Bosco")

ages: HS through college, but mostly HS.

We have a bible study/ apologetics meeting on Wed nights, then another reflection/fun meeting on Sunday nights. We have a really awesome adult team who apparently aren't too embarassed to do anything. =)

I found out about it while working a TEC with Bosco's leader. I actually live a town away, where our youth group kinda sux.

Name: A.C.T. (Awesome Catholic Teens :D )
Age: 7th thru 12th grades, divided up into groups of 7th/8th, 9th/10th, and 11th/12th
Best Thing: We get into some cool discussions, and plus the people are great! I have a lot of friends at ACT.
How I Got Involved: Uh...I just did. :mellow: It's just a thing you do after you finish Sunday School...the 1st year I had to go cause it was a confirmation year, and I kept going because...I don't know... it was like school...youth group was required, at least in my household. The first two years, I didn't like it much, but this year, it's grown on me. :)

franciscanheart

we dont have a name
it goes from about 4th-12th
and i dont really like it that much
and i got started in it when it first happened about 6 years ago with our old youth minister

Well, since Rebirth Flame hasn't delved into ours, I'll snatch this opportunity.

Name: Antioch (based on Acts 11:26), with a sister group geared toward middle-schoolers (Agape)

Age range: high school-college age

What's [b]so[/b] lovely about it: What I love most about this youth group is each member's dedication. Aside from retreats, which naturally take a considerably strenuous amount of planning and preparation, the majority of the teens involved in Antioch put themselves in it wholeheartedly. Their faith is everything to them, rather than just a side activity reserved for Sunday nights. Also, unlike many other youth programs I've seen, for many people, Antioch is comprised of a bunch of best friends! I know that personally the people I'm closest with, whom I hang out with after school and on weekends, talk to about important things, and genuinely connect with, are all my brothers and sisters in this wonderful group, centered in Christ! We also have a kickin' sweet [url="http://weadore.com"]website[/url]!

How I came to join: Antioch Youth Program has done a lot of moving in the past several years, and it came to my parish when I was in 7th grade. Of course, for me it was initially an excuse for me to do something with my friends, but I then came to realize the depth and truth of all that went on. It has a lot to do with my conversion story. So, to keep it simple, I found it through my school, my friends, and the grace of God!

There ya go!

Edited by Tink

[quote name='therevolution' date='Dec 12 2004, 03:00 AM']ok, so first:
-youth group's name?
-age range?
-what is so great about yours, what do you like most about it?
-how did you get started in it?[/quote]
St. Edward's Youth Ecuminical Society (did I spell that right?)

7-high schoolers: at times there are things that only middle schoolers can do and there are also things that only high schoolers can do

We are all good friends and we like doing stuff to help the community

I think it really got started back in the early 90's and now it has been very active

[url="http://www.seyes.catholicweb.com"]SEYES online![/url]

Check it out!