An Old School Catholic Message Board

for the Dominicans

daugher-of-Mary

daugher-of-Mary

This message was left on my blog a few days ago, and I thought I'd pass it on for those discerning the Dominican order.

[quote]Dear Elizabeth,

My name is Sister Mary Imelda of the Holy Eucharist, O.P.. I am the Novice Mistress of the cloistered Dominican Monastery of the Heart of Jesus in southeast Louisiana. We connected to your "blog" from Angela's 'Ancilla Domini'. Finding you girls is a wonderful discovery for us.

We are in the process of re-founding and looking for generous young women willing to leave everything to live a hidden life of sacrifice and prayer. We are hoping to fill our Novitiate within the next year. Would you be interested in considering our Community in your vocational discernment?

If so, please e-mail your name and address to Ldominican@aol.com. We prefer that after the initial contact, all correspondence be done via "actual" mail so it may be a few days before you would receive our information packet. If you know anyone else with aspirations similar to your own, you are welcome to share our invitation with them as well...

In the Hearts of Jesus, Mary, and Saint Dominic,

Your Dominican Nuns
Ldominican@aol.com[/quote]

Elizabeth, I got that same email :)

Future Dominicans: I've talked to Sister, and she is amazing! Warning, though, they only have 2 nuns left, so they need really brave and holy girls. You can IM her at Ldominican on AIM, if any of you want. [url="http://www.holysaviorcatholicchurch.org/dominicancontemplativesisters_.htm"]Here is their website.[/url] There is an old picture on it; everyone has died except the girl dressed as a postulant, who is now the Superior.

I got an e-mail from Sister Mary Imelda, as well! She sounds like such a wonderful woman, and I really pray that they will flourish in no time.

• 3 weeks later...
KimberlyAnneImelda

Wow, I absolutely love Sister's name! ;) I have thought about becoming a Dominican sister quite a bit myself. It sounds like a wonderful order, I sure hope some girls are able to accept the call to go there. :)

Thanks so much for posting that, I e-mailed her just now.

I also do love her name. I have been trying to figure out... has Imelda become a saint yet? Last I knew she was Blessed.

Totus tuus!
Lauren <3+

• 4 weeks later...

The book about her by Mary Fabyan Windeatt is called the Patron Saint of First Communicants, but she is called a Blessed in the book. The book was written a while ago, though. Still, I'm pretty sure she's a Blessed.

argent_paladin

Yeah, she's still a Blessed. Dominicans aren't to pushy about canonization. St. Dominic's brother, Bl. Mannes and his parents (also blessed) have been waiting hundreds of years.
I know many Dominican nuns and the have all been amazing, deeply spiritual people. In fact, I had the opportunity to go to the beach and have lunch with a group. One said that she hadn't been to a resturant in 40 years! :lol:
But, I am sure you know, the Dominican sisters (the active ones) really need your prayers. They have strayed and are in real trouble.
Deus Providebit,
Zach

I know what you mean about the Dominican Sisters, but I am confident that those faithful communities like the Dominicans of Hawthorne, of St. Cecilia, and the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist (who I am going to join!) will grow far and wide, as they are growing so fast and becomming such a beautiful witness already!

This is off-topic and it might be oooold news to everyone, but I found out recently that Nathaniel Hawthorne's daughter, Rose, is the woman who founded the Dominicans of Hawthorne. I thought that was so cool. And I don't think the author ever converted to Catholicism :( Though, judging from what he wrote in [u]The Scarlet Letter[/u], I think he had a lot of the truth in his life.

We have some DH's at daily Mass sometimes, and they're all asian. :)

daugher-of-Mary

I talked with Sr. Mary Imelda again today, and am seriously considering making an aspirancy this summer. Who else from PM will be there?