An Old School Catholic Message Board

When you "master" a song

Nothing. They try using big words like "mastering" to make it sound all complex and confuse a brotha. The truth is they just in it for the money.

[quote name='musturde' date='Dec 12 2004, 11:53 PM'] Nothing. They try using big words like "mastering" to make it sound all complex and confuse a brotha. The truth is they just in it for the money. [/quote]
lol 4 real ?

ryanmeyersmusic

[quote]Nothing. They try using big words like "mastering" to make it sound all complex and confuse a brotha. The truth is they just in it for the money.[/quote]

Spoken like a true person who has no clue what they're talking about.

Mastering is the process of making a final mix production ready. This includes normalizing tracks to maintain a consistent volume on all tracks, compressing and equalizing to bring the loudness to the level of professional discs (anyone that owns an unmastered album can tell you that the volume level on your stereo has to go up a few notches to match the rest of your collection), and most importantly tweaking frequencies to produce to cleanest sounding recording possible. Quality mastering can differentiate a good recording and a great one. It's more important than many things artists spend money on instead of it (extra packaging, extra tracks, etc).

[quote name='ryanmeyersmusic' date='Dec 13 2004, 12:07 AM']
Spoken like a true person who has no clue what they're talking about. [/quote]
lol i was jp.

[quote name='musturde' date='Dec 13 2004, 12:14 AM'] lol i was jp. [/quote]
geeeeeez
musturde
there's no jokeing allowed
duh !!!!!!!!!!!!
:angry:

Edited by Guest

ryanmeyersmusic

it seemed like a sincere question from someone who was considering the recording process, and i'd hate to steer them in the wrong direction. a lot of people really don't know how important finding a great mastering engineer is.

it's really hard to tell when someone's being sarcastic or joking on a message board...

oh and delivery boy: candles, not candels.

[quote name='ryanmeyersmusic' date='Dec 13 2004, 12:26 AM'] it seemed like a sincere question from someone who was considering the recording process, and i'd hate to steer them in the wrong direction.  a lot of people really don't know how important finding a great mastering engineer is.

it's really hard to tell when someone's being sarcastic or joking on a message board...

oh and delivery boy:  candles, not candels. [/quote]
o i was jus playen lol
thanks for the reply
it was a sincere question
thanks for a good answer to

wut about candles ???
u lost me

Edited by Guest

[quote name='ryanmeyersmusic' date='Dec 13 2004, 12:26 AM'] it seemed like a sincere question from someone who was considering the recording process, and i'd hate to steer them in the wrong direction. a lot of people really don't know how important finding a great mastering engineer is. [/quote]
Thanks for the answer, i was interested in the subject as well.

thanks ryan
is it hard to find a good enginer to master your songs ? like is something everyone who owns a studio can usually do ?
or is it pretty complex ??

Edited by Guest

ryanmeyersmusic

i would suggest using a different engineer for mastering than for production. they're two different skills, plus fresh ears are always good at any point during a recording.

find someone who's experienced with your genre, who artists return to for their second and third recordings, and who is a mastering engineer, not a jack of all trades. A great mastering engineer can make his bread and butter mastering recordings, a mediocre one has to do sub-par jobs of many things.

You can try mastering your own music by using software like Wavelab or Soundforge but you really have to know what you're doing in order to get good results. Like ryanmeyersmusic said, if you want professional results seek out a mastering engineer if you can.

Here is an article if you want to learn more: [url="http://www.propellerheads.se/"]Mastering[/url]

Click on articles and under the heading 'Discover Reason' click on mastering mastering.

Edited by LSW