An Old School Catholic Message Board

Help Stop Female Genital Mutilation

Good Friday

Did you know about FGM prior to reading this?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, I do agree with the principle of subsidiarity. Totally. That's why I feel that the FGM problems in those countries can best be handled by those countries. If the U.S. can do something to help those countries, then I'm all for it.

It goes back to my original point that the U.S. needs to put and end to abortion (blatant immorality in our own country) before they try to impose morality on other countries.

My above reply to CatholicAndFanatical was simply stating that an American life has no more value than an African life. I believe all too often we fall into a mentality that because we're Americans, we are somehow obligated to value American lives more than the lives of others. That's all.

Word

CatholicAndFanatical

Yes, I do agree with the principle of subsidiarity. Totally. That's why I feel that the FGM problems in those countries can best be handled by those countries. If the U.S. can do something to help those countries, then I'm all for it.

It goes back to my original point that the U.S. needs to put and end to abortion (blatant immorality in our own country) before they try to impose morality on other countries.

My above reply to CatholicAndFanatical was simply stating that an American life has no more value than an African life. I believe all too often we fall into a mentality that because we're Americans, we are somehow obligated to value American lives more than the lives of others. That's all.

Well I can only agree with you DUSt, as usual.

I didnt mean to come off that way, of course I dont think Americans are more important than those in Africa. But it just seems like the focus isnt on the american people who are deprived, but rather someone across the world.

I did go off on a tangent, my bad..in fact, act like my post above never existed. In my limited mind, I like to focus on one major issue at a time, first one being abortion and innocent kids and then move from there.

I also agree that this FGM problem is a real problem, education might be the key there but I dont know enough about the situation to say one way or another.

but my thoughts was slightly misguided and I concede to DUSt, the Bishop of PhatMass. And I beg for mercy

:blink:

Pax

:(  :( *Sobs*

Where is the Nathan that I know and love?  What have you done with him?  Where did you go?

Where is the Nathan that started praying a Rosary for a child being baptized and decided to pray for him his whole life? Where is the Nathan that enlightened me?

Nathan, what happened?

I was reading through the "Check-In" thread and came across yours, Nathan. I just want to highlight a couple of parts. Remember that there are many here who are praying for you.

My primary struggle in my walk with Jesus and his Church is that I experience same-sex attractions (or SSAs). I would ask you to please pray for me as I struggle with this, and as I continue to work out my salvation with fear and trembling so that I will be more like Jesus and less like myself.

Bold emphasis, mine. But this is a goal we all need to try to achieve.

As for my future, I don't know what it holds of course, but I know Jesus will get me through it.
Keep praying. :)

What I really want to say to everyone is never to give up, because Jesus doesn't give up. And all power in Heaven and on earth has been given to him (Matthew 28:18). It's not that he probably won't fail to convert us, it's that he can't fail to convert us if we're open to his grace. So no matter what you've done and no matter how you feel, always tell him that you're open to his grace, and always receive it often in the Sacrament of Reconciliation and the Eucharist.

Please pray for me as I continue to try to be who Jesus wants me to be, and I'll be sure to pray for you.

Bold emphasis, mine.

When I first starting looking in the "Check-In" thread, (in the archives practically), I didn't know what told me to read everyone's carefully. Then I came upon yours, Nathan. I knew there was a reason for reading through. I just pray that you read words that you wrote back in July and realize that they still hold true. Whatever you are going through, I will be praying for you and remembering these wise words:

So no matter what you've done and no matter how you feel, always tell him that you're open to his grace, and always receive it often in the Sacrament of Reconciliation and the Eucharist

FGM isn't just a cultural issue, it's a human rights issue. It's practised on girl children, and with the exception of Somalia, all the other countries listed in Good Friday's post are signatories to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child which expressly states that each country will act to protect children from physical abuse and harm, among other things. I am in a very privileged position living as I do in a democracy which allows me the freedom without fear of reprisal to speak out against child abuse in any circumstance, whether in my home country or in another - it's important therefore that I use my voice. There are a number of organisations around the world which campaign about FGM, raising awareness, educating, empowering....

Incidently, the US, along with Somalia are the only two countries in the world who have not ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

FGM isn't just a cultural issue, it's a human rights issue. It's practised on girl children, and with the exception of Somalia, all the other countries listed in Good Friday's post are signatories to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child which expressly states that each country will act to protect children from physical abuse and harm, among other things.  I am in a very privileged position living as I do in a democracy which allows me the freedom without fear of reprisal to speak out against child abuse in any circumstance, whether in my home country or in another - it's important therefore that I use my voice. There are a number of organisations around the world which campaign about FGM, raising awareness, educating, empowering....

Incidently, the US, along with Somalia are the only two countries in the world who have not ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

First of all, the U.S. isn't a democracy; it's a republic.

Secondly, do you speak out against abortion? If not, then it's hypocritical for you to speak out against FGM or other child abuse because abortion is the absolute worst type of abuse!

First of all, the U.S. isn't a democracy; it's a republic.

Secondly, do you speak out against abortion?  If not, then it's hypocritical for you to speak out against FGM or other child abuse because abortion is the absolute worst type of abuse!

Ellenita is from the UK I think . . . which is even less of a Democracy than the U.S. is . . .

First of all the US isn't a democracy, its a republic

I don't live in the US!

And isn't the US a democratic republic? Don't you get to choose through fair, free and equitable elections who will govern you and represent your country as President? Please tell me this is the case!

I don't live in the US!

And isn't the US a democratic republic? Don't you get to choose through fair, free and equitable elections who will govern you and represent your country as President? Please tell me this is the case!

The US is a republic.

Democracy always brings society down to the lowest common denominator...

Our system is to make sure that people that do know at least a little about what is going on actually votes.

Thank God for the electoral college.

BTW, which country do you live in?

God Bless, Your Servant in Christ,

ironmonk

FGM isn't just a cultural issue, it's a human rights issue. It's practised on girl children, and with the exception of Somalia, all the other countries listed in Good Friday's post are signatories to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child which expressly states that each country will act to protect children from physical abuse and harm, among other things.  I am in a very privileged position living as I do in a democracy which allows me the freedom without fear of reprisal to speak out against child abuse in any circumstance, whether in my home country or in another - it's important therefore that I use my voice. There are a number of organisations around the world which campaign about FGM, raising awareness, educating, empowering....

I could go on for days about the UN and their idiotic Declaration on Human Rights which they revised from their original version. But the Convention on the Rights of the Child was a horrible anti-family mess. I could say something, but Concerened Women for America say it much better . . .

CWA on the UN Declaration on the Rights of the Child

There is a careful distinction between Democratic processes and Democracies . . . generally the preferred term is "representative government" i.e. we elect representatives to run our government

Our system is to make sure that do know at least a little about what is going actually votes.
I don't understand! Doesn't everyone over the age of consent have the right to vote in the US?

Ellenita is from the UK I think

Yep!

which is even less of a democracy than the US is...

I meant democracy in the broadest sense of the word, in which case the UK could be described as a democracy in that we are governed by elected representatives. The elected House of Commons really holds the power base, the monarch a figure head who 'rubber stamps' what Parliament has decided. The House of Lords has acted in the past as a form of 'checks and balances' to the House of Commons - depending on your political persuasion, and is currently being reformed.

The down side of this democracy of course is that it allows people like Ian Paisley (mentioned in an earlier post) to have a seat in Parliament!

so the mother country learned something from her kid eh? ;):P:rolleyes:

anyway, neither of us are democracies. we're representative republics. also known as partial democracy.

generally the preferred term is representative government
OK, so I guess it's the difference in our interpretation of language - something which I've noticed alot between people from the US and the UK, even though we both speak English!

The Un Convention on the Rights of the Child was a horrible anti - family mess

Don't even go there! It promotes the right for children's voices to be heard. The legislation may be flawed but at the very least it holds governments accountable.

Blazer, I very much respect your view and feel I had learnt a considerable amount about the Catholic faith from you which has been truely helpful on my current journey, but on this issue I fear we will never agree!

Your posts have had absolutely no effect on me, so little an effect in fact that I'm not even going to reply to them with the same fervor and genuine anger that I've replied with other posts. I attack your posts because I disagree with what you're saying, I disagree with your doctrine and I argue with you over it. I also disagree with what you've all said about me, but I'm not going to argue with you over your assaults on my character. They stand on their own as malicious and foolish proof of your own distance from Christ. At least I admit my distance. That's more than I can say for the rest of you, who think you're pious when you're really no better than I am.

The petition has been posted. It was all I intended to do. I said I wasn't going to debate anymore right now, and I'm not. If you all want to use yet another page to rail against me, be my guests. Just realize that to the average internet user who comes here and sees this thread, I'm not going to look like the evil person on this thread. I'm not going to be the one saying: "SHUT UP YOU FREAKING IDIOT!" and things of that nature.

I hope you find yourselves effective witnesses for your faith.