An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Habits

daugher-of-Mary

[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/Sixtina87/hand.jpg[/img]

this pic is of the Handmaids of Nazareth. Their habits are of the handmaids..i think of Jesus time, not sure though!!!!! They are a religiosu community made up of widows!!!!! Each Sister has childrena dn live at home with their family!!!! they take 4 vows, poveryt, chaisty, obedience and joy!!!!! theya re great Sisters and very up beat community!!!! i know them quite well!!!! Actulyl i'm suppose ot help one of them out here in October and November!!!!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Sep 20 2005, 10:23 PM'][img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/Sixtina87/hand.jpg[/img]

this pic is of the Handmaids of Nazareth. Their habits are of the handmaids..i think of Jesus time, not sure though!!!!! They are a religiosu community made up of widows!!!!! Each Sister has childrena dn live at home with their family!!!! they take 4 vows, poveryt, chaisty, obedience and joy!!!!! theya re great Sisters and very up beat community!!!! i know them quite well!!!! Actulyl i'm suppose ot help one of them out here in October and November!!!!!
[right][snapback]732225[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

WHO, WHAT, HOW,WHY, WHERE, EMAIL, WEBSITE ?
Thanks.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Sep 20 2005, 09:23 PM'][img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/Sixtina87/hand.jpg[/img]

[right][snapback]732225[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I believe I met one of them once, there are some in Stubenville right? And they are allowed to become a Sister even after marriage and having kids? If so, I was chatting with one of them at a Vocations Retreat last Feb.

My friend's mom is their foundress. They aren't all widows, but a lot of them are. Marea's mom (the foundress) was never married, but she adopted a ton of kids from all over the world. Sr. John Vianney (the one in the blue shirt) worked at my Newman Center in Normal up until May. She had a bunch of kids, but they were all her own (she was a widow). Their vow of poverty isn't the same since some of them live with kids, and they don't really live in community because of that, but I think they meet up in the summer as a community. Mother Yvonne lives in Rochester, NY, but I believe most of the Sisters live in the Peoria diocese.

Hey guys, they dont have awebsite, sorry. Yes this pic was taken at an evenet in Peroai. Sister michale whose hand is on my shoulder is from peroia. the ones from Stubenville is the one on the otehr side of my shoulder but behind me. SHe travels around selling books and such kidna like the Daughters fo St. paul. hte community is very up beat. motehr Yvonne is a very nice person and has alot of kids. i was told sicne she teaches in clloege, she cant were her viel because fo tehfac thats its a public college and not catholic and the churhc she attends doesnt know she is a sister. the priest and Bishoip knwos she is there but those around her doesnt know it. But i guess and sutdent gave a her a comment aht most teaches ask for at the end of the yr about thier teaching and I guess one student said that they didnt understand why she wore the same thing everyday!!!!!!! how sad is that??? Bot being able to show those aroudn that you're a religious!!!!!

[quote name='jgirl' date='Sep 21 2005, 08:10 AM']My friend's mom is their foundress. They aren't all widows, but a lot of them are. Marea's mom (the foundress) was never married, but she adopted a ton of kids from all over the world. Sr. John Vianney (the one in the blue shirt) worked at my Newman Center in Normal up until May. She had a bunch of kids, but they were all her own (she was a widow). Their vow of poverty isn't the same since some of them live with kids, and they don't really live in community because of that, but I think they meet up in the summer as a community. Mother Yvonne lives in Rochester, NY, but I believe most of the Sisters live in the Peoria diocese.
[right][snapback]732447[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

no, there is only 1 sister who lives in epria, Sr mary Michale who is shown in the pic. i have another pic but I just have to get it developed. it is an updated pic from the pic shown but as soon as I get tht one i'll post it!!!!!!!!!! htere are 2 of them in Stubenville!!!!!!!!

They don't live in Peoria, but they're in the diocese (it's their homebase...they consider themselves under Bishop Jenky in the US and their founding bishop is in, I think, Tanzania). I think some live in or near Pontiac, and Sr. John Vianney lived around Eureka which is between Normal and Peoria (she might have left the community, though).

[quote name='jgirl' date='Sep 21 2005, 02:02 PM']They don't live in Peoria, but they're in the diocese (it's their homebase...they consider themselves under Bishop Jenky in the US and their founding bishop is in, I think, Tanzania). I think some live in or near Pontiac, and Sr. John Vianney  lived around Eureka which is between Normal and Peoria (she might have left the community, though).
[right][snapback]732753[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yes theya re in the Diocese of Peoria. Sr Mary Michael is the One In Pontiac!!!! Like I said they are great Sister and a very upbeat community!!!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Sep 21 2005, 12:30 PM'] i was told sicne she teaches in clloege, she cant were her viel because fo tehfac thats its a public college and not catholic and the churhc she attends doesnt know she is a sister. the priest and Bishoip knwos she is there but those around her doesnt know it. But i guess and sutdent gave a her a comment aht most teaches ask for at the end of the yr about thier teaching and I guess one student said that they didnt understand why she wore the same thing everyday!!!!!!! how sad is that??? Bot being able to show those aroudn that you're a religious!!!!!
[right][snapback]732709[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:idontknow: Okay the college thing I just don't get. Why do they care one way or another about the veil, especially if they know she is a nun?

And the last line about her not being able to show those around her she is a nun. Why do the people in her parish not know she is a nun? Is it that she is "not allowed to tell or choosing not to tell?" Honestly I do not understand either.

For whatever reason I am not comfortable with what is going on. Then again I don't know what is going on. HELP, WHAT EXACTLY IS GOING ON? I am confused why a nun can't say she is a nun and I am not and get mistaken for one.

I have something else I want to say but i need more opinions before I do.

It does seem strange that the college would forbid her from wearing her veil. My university is notoriously... secular(what else do you expect from the university that thought it would be wise to give Dr. Henry Morgentaler an honorary degree?), but if an Islamic woman was refused the right to wear her Hijab, I can only imagine the law suit! I imagine it would be the same for a religious sister.

I read the above answer and the MAGIC word popped out at me "lawsuit."

I am wondering if the ACLJ would think she had a case.
ACLJ American Center for Law and Justice. The Christian version of the
ACLU.

Their website is aclj.org

It can't hurt to ask.

Edited by ofpheritup

AlterDominicus

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Sep 23 2005, 11:42 AM']:idontknow:  Okay the college thing I just don't get. Why do they care one way or another about the veil, especially if they know she is a nun?

And the last line about her not being able to show those around her she is a nun.  Why do the people in her parish not know she is a nun? Is it that she is "not allowed to tell or choosing not to tell?"  Honestly I do not understand either.

For whatever reason I am not comfortable with what is going on. Then again I don't know what is going on. HELP, WHAT EXACTLY IS GOING ON?  I am confused why a nun can't say she is a nun and I am not and get mistaken for one.

[right][snapback]735313[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree! That is absurd. I KNOW PLENTY of Sisters who go/teach at public colleges that wear the viel/habit. PLENTY of them, heck I even know sisters who TEACH at public High Schools and so on. :shock: :ohno: :annoyed:

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Sep 23 2005, 12:42 PM']:idontknow:  Okay the college thing I just don't get. Why do they care one way or another about the veil, especially if they know she is a nun?

And the last line about her not being able to show those around her she is a nun.  Why do the people in her parish not know she is a nun? Is it that she is "not allowed to tell or choosing not to tell?"  Honestly I do not understand either.

For whatever reason I am not comfortable with what is going on. Then again I don't know what is going on. HELP, WHAT EXACTLY IS GOING ON?  I am confused why a nun can't say she is a nun and I am not and get mistaken for one.

[right][snapback]735313[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
okay, to tell you the truth, i'm nto sure either. this is what i was told by one of her Sisters who knows her best. I dont know why she istn recognized for being a sister i her own parish and at her college, wait, i can see why teh college thing but not really why in her own church.

The college use to be a catholic college, but she some reason it went to public, but in order for her to keep her job at the college, she would have to take the veil off and kinda look likea normal person like you and i, but she wears the habit but not the viel!!!! I'm not 100% I'll get more info!!!!!!

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Sep 23 2005, 07:00 PM']I agree! That is absurd. I KNOW PLENTY of Sisters who go/teach at public colleges that wear the viel/habit. PLENTY of them, heck I even know sisters who TEACH at public High Schools and so on. :shock:  :ohno:  :annoyed:
[right][snapback]735854[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The other version of "the separation of church state debate" I guess would be "the State can't tell you what to wear to work.or how to express your faith." I work in "public" schools, I have for nine years. I have ALWAYS worn some sort of Crucifix or Catholic medal. Right now I am wearing a 3 inch Crucifix.

When I first started comments were made some in fun, some not about "how long do you think "they" will let you wear that?" I had one answer "LAWSUIT" I have yet to have ANYONE tell me I couldn't wear Jesus.

What I didn't bring up before was an article I read in the Catholic Digest about a Brother who works as an ER nurse. He isn't "allowed" to tell anyone he is a brother. Why take a job where you know you are going to have to deny Jesus.

There was a situation where he felt the patient and their family would be comforted knowing he was a religious. HE HAD TO GET PERMISSION FROM HIS SUPERVISOR before he could say anything. HOW WRONG IS THAT?

What I find weird is that I am a "civilian" shouting Jesus from the rooftops (not really I am scared of heights). And the people that should be doing my job either can't or won't.

For the ones who have been told you C.A.N.' T. I would like to refer you to the A C L J. Look them up on the Internet. For those of you who W.O.N.'T.
IS JUDAS YOUR PATRON SAINT?

Edited by ofpheritup