An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns

Paladin D

I'm not sure how true this is but, I heard that Nuns do not get any type of finacial support and/or coverage once they decide to "retire" (can't think of another term) of being a Nun.

While Priests on the other hand, get coverage or something.

Reason being, I was told that Nuns take an oath of poverty, as Priests do not.

I'm very fusterated because of the following...

A) I can't type for carp right now

B) My statements are so vague

...I hope some of you can make sense out of this.

cmotherofpirl

I'm not sure how true this is but, I heard that Nuns do not get any type of finacial support and/or coverage once they decide to "retire" (can't think of another term) of being a Nun.

While Priests on the other hand, get coverage or something. 

Reason being, I was told that Nuns take an oath of poverty, as Priests do not.

I'm very fusterated because of the following...

A) I can't type for carp right now

B) My statements are so vague

...I hope some of you can make sense out of this.

Nuns are entitled to any benefit that a senior citizen gets. They are also entitiled to be cared for by their order until death. If they worked outside the convent at a regular job, they order gets their social security payments, except in Pa where there is a court battle going on. some idiot here decided that since nuns take vows of poverty they were not entitled. The law and courts so far say otherwise.

Diocesean priests are employees of the diocese, they get a pension like everybody else. Order priests are treated the same way as the nuns.

Edited by cmotherofpirl

Thank you!

Btw, was it not like this, lets say... in the 1960's? Because I don't know why my mom got that idea.

It depends on the order of both the priests and nuns and what they set up. Most orders had convents or rectories where retired preists and nuns lived, and they were supported by the others. As some orders got smaller, there were not enought new members to support the retired ones. There are lot's of ministries that collect donations and help them now. Some go to other orders, etc.

Part of the problem was with nuns, priests, and brothers who taugt or worked in hospitals and the money went to the community so they never really got paychecks and became eligible for social security. We don't do that now, and more financial planning is done.

Thank you!

Btw, was it not like this, lets say... in the 1960's?  Because I don't know why my mom got that idea.

Hi, Paladin

Invite your mom to join our discussions. :rolleyes:

JMJ Jay (Likos)

She wouldn't, she rarely is on the PC anyways. She never has done internet chat, except for a few simple one-liner e-mails to us.