An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Home Schooling

Kilroy the Ninja

Kilroy the Ninja

Now, I realize that I have some time before the little Ninja Crusader is ready for school (almost 5 years to be exact), but I was crusin' around the net today and came upon the Seton Home Study website which has lessons plans and materials for all grades, kindergarten through 12th. My question is, is there anyone out there who was home schooled? What were your experiences like? Good, bad, ugly? If I can't afford to send my child to a Catholic school, I would rather home school than go back to work full time.

Please let me know your opinions. I'm excited about teaching the boy new things and thrilled that everyday is a new day full of new things for him.

Thanks! :blink: :ph34r:

BullnaChinaShop

I wasn't homeschooled but my mom started homescooling my three younger brothers when I was a senior in high school using the Seton curiculum. My brothers have all done well being home schooled and the curiculum they use is much harder then anything I ever did at the same age. People often ask about the social aspect of kids that are home schooled, but my brothers probably have more friends than I had because mom got involved with a group of Catholic home school families who get together for mass and other outings where the kids get to interact.

Lauren and I have actually talked about home schooling any kids that God may bless us with in the future. I personally like the idea of home schooling because you have control over what is taught to your kids.

cmotherofpirl

When I could no longer afford Catholic School for my children, I homeschooled them until I came done with pnumonia and could no longer teach tnem.

It is exhausting but wonderful. I would do it again in a minute if I had a little one.

Of course you certainly don't have to wait until they are five to begin educating them. [g]

You should be reading good literature and playing classical music for them daily.

From birth.

MORight2Life

Hi there! lol_grin.gif

I was homeschooled using the Seton Program for a bit. First, some background: I'm the second oldest in a family of 8 children, and we were all going to the same school, which was Pre-K through 12th grade. However, when we found out some bad things about that school, we scrambled to find new schools for everyone. One went to boarding school, others to our parish grade school. However, our parish school didn't have 8th grade, yet, and their second grade was too full. So, one of my brothers (the second grader) and I (eighth grade) went to another parish gradeschool. A couple of my other siblings had to go to the public school by our house because of the special education programs. After one quarter of the new schools, my parents couldn't keep up with the different carpools, so my brother and I started homeschooling.

The Seton program itself is very challenging (I kid you not!), and now I know why there are so homeschoolers at the National Spelling Bee! :lol: But anyhoo: I extremely disliked homeschooling because the temptation to cheat was too much higher and I had no friends around. (That was the hardest part for me-- I'm a "people- person"! :) And there aren't many other homeschoolers in our area, because we have so many schools everywhere!) Another thing I disliked was not having that face-to-face relationship with my teacher. Sure, my parents helped on some subjects, but the Algebra really got us! *chuckles* See, I need to see teachers interact with their students. I am a visual learner, so only talking over the phone with people who held the fate of my grades in their hands and not being able to physically be with them to study and learn was frusterating to me. (Plus, I think the phone is Satan, so I hated calling them up. *laughing* ) I didn't like that I recieved my grades in the mail and had to wait forever and a day to get back my tests, either. Of course, since I was older, I paid more attention to that than my younger brother.

Eessh! :blink: Sorry-- I think this is the most negative post I've ever written, *chuckles*...but for a positive note:

My brother loved homeschooling. He loved that he could spend time reading with mom-- something he didn't get to do that often in our large family. He's more of an independent learner, so he was an ideal student for the program. And besides, since he was younger, waiting for his grades didn't drive him nearly as mad as it did with me. :)

Homeschooling isn't for everyone (obviously it wasn't for me, but because of the situation, I couldn't do anything to change it), but for others, it's the "perfect solution." lol_grin.gif So basically, I think the age, personality (!!!), and needs of each individual child are the key factors.

Best of Luck to you and your son! lol_grin.gif

Be God's!

-Michelle lol_grin.gif

Edited to fix a few mistakes.... :)

Edited by MORight2Life

cmotherofpirl

The best part about sending your kid to school is that they are off your nerves for 7 hours.

Yes they off being taught values by someone else.

What a horrible thought!

i know some home-schooled protestants. they are very sheltered and out of touch with the world. to them, anything viewed as fun is of the devil. but then again, a lot of christians are generally nuts.

if this is something you want to do, just make sure the kid gets plenty of exposure to the real world and is able to socialize with other people.

God bless.

cmotherofpirl

Define the "real" world.

The world where kids are called fags in first grade if they like art or music. Where bullies rule the school buses. Where boys are drinking at 11 and girls have sex at 12. And are pregnant or on the pill at 13. Where kids in high school rush home to use the bathroom because the ones in school are not safe.

Where mothing is right or wrong and the greatest sin is to be a litterbug. Qhwew values clarification is routinely taught.

Do you want your kids in this real world?

What is wrong with sheltering our kids as long as possible?

i'm just saying that the child needs exposure to the world in one way or another, in socialization with peers mostly. i know the world is a horrible place, and by the time i have a child the world will be a worse place than it is now, and i may seriously consider home schooling. but, if we want our children to try and change this world in any way possible, and do the Lord's good work, kids must be prepared for what they will encounter.

quick example, i know of kids who were reared and home schooled in strict Christian families. they were very sheltered, not allowed to play with public school kids, and now attend strict a Christian college to become ministers. and these are kids who think you are going to hell if you want a horror movie, stub your toe and curse, drive past the speed limit, etc. whose lives are they going to be able to touch with attitudes like this?

i know all of the people here have much more common sense than the people i know of, and wouldn't allow their kids to fall into this trap. protection is fine, i know i will be a protective father, but you can't hide from the world. you gotta face it if you wanna change it. that's all i'm saying.

It's a shame how people shelter there kids to the extreme. I'm Home Schooled, and I get out a lot.

Cure of Ars

One way or the other it’s the parents responsibility to teach their children. The public schools are to help the parents out. I think in a lot of families the order of this is backwards. The parents take the back seat and this is not right. Her is quote for the Catechism:

1653. "The fruitfulness of conjugal love extends to the fruits of the moral, spiritual, and supernatural life that parents hand on to their children by EDUCATION. Parents are the principal and first educators of their children.[Cf. GE 3.] In this sense the fundamental task of marriage and family is to be at the service of life.[Cf. FC 28.] "

I have a 6 month old and a two year old. They will probably go to public school. In fact as soon as the 2 year old is potty trained she will be going to pre school for a couple of hours a day. But I really do think that home schooling can be better depending on the parent. If you look at the spelling bees the home school children usually win. I am a social worker and I also know kids who have been home schooled who did not learn a thing because the parent were not motivated and educated. So I guess the answer depends on the ability and motivation of the parent.

Edited by Cure of Ars

I home school my kids ages 8-12.

I wasn't particularly keen on the idea when my husband brought it up, but since it was him who stayed home with the kids for eight years, I went along with it. I have come to love it. For a while we were part of support groups in the Protestant community, but eventually we found a Catholic support group and it's just been a wonderful experience.

Homeschooling is very rewarding, and support groups add an extraordinary oportunity for kids to socialize with other children, and for parents to talk about challenges and give each other advice.

Some sopport groups offer clubs like math, science, etc and others act more like a school with field trips and regular peer activities like sports, hobbies, etc.

You should look for suport groups in your area and go see what is like. It would give you a better, more realistic perspective of what you're trying to do if you can see how it works with other people you know.

A good source of information is the HSLDA as mentioned by Paladin. As far as Catholic support groups, I'm not sure there are that many around, but groups in the Chistian community are mostly very good, I'd stay away from secular support groups.

Before you discard the idea, I would suggest very strongly that you get to know a few homeschooled children. It will surprise you how much more mature they are and how they interact better with their parents. The thing is that children tend to pick up certain ways of behavior from thir peers, homeschooling gives you control over the kind of people you kids play with.

Kilroy,

My kids went to both Public and Catholic schools. Both school systems have serious dangers. One of of neighbors homeschools their daughter, and she seems quite bright, well socialized, and friendly.

Faith formation by the parents is the key. No matter which system you choose, none of them are to be their main source of moral teaching. Lot's of kids are going to Catholic schools now because it's a little elitist. Parents send their kids there for the good secular education and discipline. Many, many don't even go to Church regulary, but call themselves Catholic and send their kids to Catholic school. Kids are great at recognizing hipocrasy and using it to their advantage. I teach Confirmation class to 15 & 16 yr olds and I went to 12 years of Catholic school. In my opinion, the cynicism, liberalism, and 'cafeteria' Catholicism is germinated in today's Catholic schools with the example of hypocrytical parents screwing up their kids faith then peer pressure starts affecting the other kids.

I know Don's opinion is either Catholic School or Home School. You guys will have to determine what you can do, and how your children respond to both. At least Don is a teacher. But the biggest worry, (now that I'm looking back on 17+ years of parenthood) is teaching them morals and faith.

Also, its important to keep the parent in mind as well. If a parent tends to get overwhelmed easily or is short-tempered, then it may not be in the child's best interest to be home schooled.

I went to Catholic school and loved it. I could not imagine being home schooled. My mom was always stressed and got very easily overwhelmed. If I was at home with her trying to teach me everyday, I don't think I would have done very well. We didn't learn bad values in my school either...everything that was taught came from a Catholic standing. So its not very fair to say that if you go to a regular school, you will be taught bad values.