An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Home Schooling

Kilroy the Ninja

Kilroy,

My husband has done a good job voicing my support and high opinion of homeschooling. I am just interjecting some more thoughts of my own. Even though I think Seton is a great program, I don't think that I will be using it. Even though we don't have any kids yet, I have already ordered the curriculums of Kolbe Academy and Our Lady of Divine Grace Homeschool programs. The major difference between these two and Seton is this: Setons courses are more like correspondence courses. I want to have a curriculum where I can have more say in what subjects are stressed. Seton stresses history and writing: my brothers-in-law are always telling me about how much reading and writing they are doing, and how it takes up most of their time and they don't have much time left for science and math (in comparison). Even though I love history and I am in full support of being able to write proficiently, I, seeing as I will be the teacher I would want to structure the curriculum differently and have more of a teachers role in homeschooling: meaning I don't rely mostly on the teachers over the phone. I plan on getting my teachers certificate and (I know this is going to sound arrogant) I should be able to teach anything from Art History to Physical Chemistry. I would love to teach Latin (because that would mean I would have to learn it first) and hopefully if I teach French it would help me brush up because I have been slipping greatly in that area. I am sooo pumped about homeschooling - now all I have to do is have some kids! :lol:

Kilroy the Ninja

Thank you for your responses! Paladin, I've gone to the hslda website and signed up for their newsletter and more info from them. Everyone, I'd recommend browsing that website and checking out the legislation that is going on in your state. Most of it is home-school related, but some of it isn't.

Marielapin, do you know if the Kolbe Academy or Our Lady of Divine Grace have websites (I haven't had a chance to look just yet). Thank you for your view, because it's very close to how I feel about it. And remember, you may be a nerd, but I am a Super Geek and that's got to be worse! :lol:

But please, if there's anyone else out there with an opinion, thought or memory of home schooling, please post it here. Good or bad. I'm looking to get a big picture before I plug ahead.

:ph34r:

Edited by Kilroy the Ninja

Kilroy the Ninja

Thanks! That helps tremendously!

I think I'm leaning towards Kolbe....

What do you think?

Kolbe looks like my first choice as well. I'm big on the classical nature of the curriculum.

Whatever you do...DO NOT PURCHASE ANY A Beka books! They are extremely Anti-Catholic.

Mainly the history/geography books, I almost became Anti-Catholic since I was ignorant of the truth of what the Church was.

Btw, the HSLDA has a magazine subscription it's good!

Edited by Paladin D

Another heads up that I got from my mother-in-law. Be wary of "Christian" homeschool books in general because many are extremly anti-catholic. If you stick to the books recommended by Seton, Kolbe or MODG you should be great though.

Someone mentioned the 'legality' issue. The fact that there is an issue with home schooling from a legal standpoint indicates how sickening the state's interference in family life has become. The state considers itself sovereign over the children, witrh parents ruling only fy the blessing of the state.

I hate despotism.