An Old School Catholic Message Board

Debts and Dowry

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I was talking with Sister Mary Imelda O.P. earlier and we were talking about my debts from school and dowry. I know that I may be able to take care of the debts and I was expecting that, but now I have to worry about getting health insurance, buy the items on the trousseau list, and a dowry from my parents. I really want to enter the convent as soon as I can, but these are things I've never really encountered before and they have me kinda worried... What am i going to do?

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Jan 3 2005, 06:47 PM'] I was talking with Sister Mary Imelda O.P. earlier and we were talking about my debts from school and dowry. I know that I may be able to take care of the debts and I was expecting that, but now I have to worry about getting health insurance, buy the items on the trousseau list, and a dowry from my parents. I really want to enter the convent as soon as I can, but these are things I've never really encountered before and they have me kinda worried... What am i going to do? [/quote]
I don't have personal experience with that yet, so I would say your best bet would be to ask your parish priest- and the sisters- they all had questions like that at one time.

DesiringMore

I've never heard of such. you have to find your own insurance? and what kind of items is on the list?

What other communities are you looking at?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Well... I really think this Community is the one... I don't know exactly what items are on the trousseau list... I'd never heard of this either until I talked with Sister today.

DesiringMore

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Jan 3 2005, 08:49 PM'] I really think this Community is the one [/quote]
If you don't mind me asking, what makes you feel this Community is the one?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I feel very drawn to it, I am going to visit next week, and I read a book on the life and the charism and it just sets me all aflutter! The more I talk with Sister Mary Imelda O.P. about it, the more I want to be there! At first I wasn't entirely sure about the order, but they just excite me!

daugher-of-Mary

Maybe the [url="http://www.labourefoundation.org/"]Laboure Foundation[/url] could help you out with college debts? Also, I remember Julie (sista2b) mentioned that she had a "nun shower," like a wedding shower, before her entrance to help out with the trousseau.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Jan 3 2005, 09:39 PM'] Also, I remember Julie (sista2b) mentioned that she had a "nun shower," like a wedding shower, before her entrance to help out with the trousseau. [/quote]
:D What a cute idea! lol

julie was saintsomeday, not sista2b, that was ali.....

anywho....when julie entered the nashville dominicans, she had to come up the money for her health insurance the first year and she had a list of stuff she needed to bring....

Here is the address for her blog, it's discontinued of course, but it was very interesting to read about her last minute preparations and even back before she decided on nashville.

[url="http://theoscope.blogspot.com/"]http://theoscope.blogspot.com/[/url]

+JMJ+

Angela, first of all you must trust that if you are meant to be in Louisiana with the Dominicans, you will be! Second, I highly recommend the Labooure Foundation for helping you with college debts. A girl I know, Katie Z. (now Sr. Mary Bethany) used them and all of her debts were paid off just in time for her entrance! Thirdly, I know that Julie sold her stuff on ebay, which is another way to get rid of material posessions AND get money.

On a side note I think it's great what you are doing, that congregation so needs strong, young souls! Hope your visit is reflective, fufilling and joyous!

A nun shower!!! :starts scheming: What a fantabulistic idea. Some people are brilliant.

:D

Don't worry, FutureNun, you have all of us praying for you. Please do the same for us!

daugher-of-Mary

[quote]julie was saintsomeday, not sista2b, that was ali.....
[/quote]

ty for the correction! :blush:

It was so wonderful reading her blog, especially in the last few weeks before her entrance. ^_^

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Jan 4 2005, 03:43 PM'] It was so wonderful reading her blog, especially in the last few weeks before her entrance. ^_^ [/quote]
i agree...i do miss reading it....but Nashville is such as great place, she is probobly so happy....

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I talked with Sister, she is the greatest! My worries have mostly vanished after talking about possibilities. Thanks for all the support! I apprieciate it very much! I am just so excited and I really feel like I want to be there!

JMJ
1/5 - St. John Neumann

I didn't know until I went to the website that I know the chairman of the Laboure Foundation. He's the leadership formation director at my seminary. He's also got enough money to put all you girls through college so's you can go to the convent. ;)