An Old School Catholic Message Board

Code of Canon Law

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

Have you ever read it? I'm reading the Code of Canon Law right now. It's actually pretty interesting. Did you know that it makes provisions for papal resignations? Only one pope has ever resigned: Celestine V in 1294 resigned after 5 months in the chair of Peter. Canon 332.2 makes this provision. Neat huh?

I've used it more as a reference book than something to read for itself, I must admit. But some of my friends and coworkers have been canon lawyers, and I have considered studying to become one before.

I did know about the resignation provisions, and that we'd had a pope resign before. Did you know that we've had a pope who was never ordained a priest? He was a deacon from his papal election until his death. (Adrian V, I think. He didn't live very long.)

phatcatholic

[quote name='cathqat' date='Jan 5 2005, 06:26 AM'] I've used it more as a reference book than something to read for itself, I must admit. But some of my friends and coworkers have been canon lawyers, and I have considered studying to become one before.

I did know about the resignation provisions, and that we'd had a pope resign before. Did you know that we've had a pope who was never ordained a priest? He was a deacon from his papal election until his death. (Adrian V, I think. He didn't live very long.) [/quote]
i looked up all the pope adrian's at new advent and none of them were merely a deacon when they were made pope.

Below is a link to the [u]Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches[/u] (CCEO):

[url="http://www.intratext.com/X/ENG1199.HTM"]Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches[/url]

This code has the force of law in all the Eastern Churches that are in communion with the Pope.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jan 5 2005, 12:54 PM'] Below is a link to the [u]Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches[/u] (CCEO):

[url="http://www.intratext.com/X/ENG1199.HTM"]Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches[/url]

This code has the force of law in all the Eastern Churches that are in communion with the Pope. [/quote]
Some of the canons in the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches also apply to Latin Catholics. In that sense, the Eastern Code is more universal than the Latin Code.

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Jan 5 2005, 07:37 AM'] i looked up all the pope adrian's at new advent and none of them were merely a deacon when they were made pope. [/quote]
I'm pretty sure it was Adrian V, and New Advent doesn't say otherwise (since even laymen could be cardinals in his day), but I don't have any references here. Regardless whether it was an Adrian or not, there was one. I studied it in my canon law class ^_^

phatcatholic

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jan 5 2005, 12:54 PM'] Below is a link to the [u]Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches[/u] (CCEO):

This code has the force of law in all the Eastern Churches that are in communion with the Pope. [/quote]
awesome! i'll add this to the "practical apologetics" entry

[quote name='cathqat' date='Jan 5 2005, 03:50 PM'] I studied it in my canon law class ^_^ [/quote]
I was thinking about studying canon law, but haven't had a chance to pick up the intermediate theology degree and the languages . . . where would you go if you were to go back for another degree (or just the licentiate) . . . how could someone working full time (in SE Virginia - CUA would be a tough commute) get on track for that? Are there classes at the undergraduate level around here? I haven't looked very hard, figuring I would try to teach myself Latin while I waited for the next generation of college students in my family to deplete the treasury.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jan 4 2005, 10:02 PM'] Have you ever read it? I'm reading the Code of Canon Law right now. It's actually pretty interesting. [/quote]
Bits and pieces, but never in a straight through manner. There are a couple of websites I visited that provide additional information about the subject - the first is Ed Peters' website (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/enpeters/) - the second is a professor at CUA, Ken Pennington (http://faculty.cua.edu/pennington/Index.html)

Both sites have useful and interesting information.

I studied a small section of Canon Law in order get information for a research paper on home-schooling. I hope to study it more in the future. I wish it was incorporated into more religious education programs for high schools and such.