An Old School Catholic Message Board

Terri Denied The Eucharist

jasJis

Brain-Damaged Fla. Woman Denied Communion

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. (AP) -- The Roman Catholic priest of a brain-damaged woman whose feeding tube was removed this week tried to give her a final communion but was refused entry by police officers guarding the entrance to the hospice.

Bob and Mary Schindler, the parents of Terri Schiavo, were joined by Monsignor Thaddeus Malinowski on Saturday when they told officers they wanted to administer the Catholic rite of Viaticum, the last communion for a Catholic before death.

Police officers at the hospice told the family the rite would violate a doctor's order that nothing be placed in her mouth to prevent choking and aspiration.

Malinowski, a retired priest, told the officers that he would use "a small piece of the wafer and dilute it with water before giving it to her. It's a very important part of her faith."

George Felos, an attorney for Michael Schiavo, Terri Schiavo's husband, said in a statement that Malinowski administered "spiritual communion" commonly given to patients who are unable to receive the host by mouth.

Relatives and supporters who oppose orders by Terri Schiavo's husband to cut off her nourishment held a vigil outside the hospice where the tube was disconnected Wednesday.

Her sister, Suzanne Carr, renewed a call for help from Gov. Jeb Bush, saying, "You have the power to intervene on Terri's behalf. This is more important and beyond politics and bad press."

Feedings have been keeping Terri Schiavo alive since 1990, when she suffered brain damage following a heart attack. Doctors say she is in a persistent vegetative state with no hope of recovery, but her parents believe she has mental abilities and can be rehabilitated.

Two state courts rejected attempts by the parents Friday to have the feeding tube reinserted.

Terri Schiavo is expected to live one to two weeks without food. She was 26 years old when a potassium imbalance stopped her heart. She went for 10 minutes without oxygen and was left severely brain-damaged.

Michael Schiavo collected more than $1 million in medical malpractice claims against doctors who failed to diagnose the chemical imbalance. The Schindlers allege their son-in-law said nothing about his wife's wishes not to be kept alive artificially until he stood to inherit her medical trust fund.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

I am SHOCKED! That they would not allow the priest to give her Viaticum. Shocked, but not surprised. We are in a battle for the Soul of the World. Terri is one part of this war against God. We must pray more, sacrifice more, suffer more for her. For all of us.

I think its idiotic for the lawyer of Michael Schiavo to say that Terri received "Spiritual communion" You cannot receive a spiritual communion unless YOU ARE AWARE!! If he admits she is alive and cognizant of Christ's presence, then WHY ARE THEY STARVING HER???

We are killing an innocent woman because she has become invonvenient. I pray that God might rain down his justice on the people responsible for this murder.

Angus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.

I think the great irony of this is that they're not giving her Communion allegedly because they're afraid she'll aspirate and get pneumonia, causing her to die. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, considering that she's going to die from starvation within the next two weeks. The real reason they're not giving her Communion is because the Church sided with Terri and life vs. Mr. Schiavo and death, and now they will keep the Church away from her as they kept her parents and siblings away from her.

However, I think they'll find that nothing they can do can keep God away from her. If he cannot come to her in the very real and tangible form of the Blessed Sacrament, then he will come to her in a way that no security guard or locked door could ever prevent. And I think they'll find, now and later in their lives and after their lives, that God has sided very much with Terri and life vs. Mr. Schiavo and death.

Here is what I propose. Are there any lawyers listening????

It was reported that Terri sat up when she found out that there was an attempt to starve her. So, since she is (from the last we hear) responsive, simply ask her:

"Do you wish to be fed? Blink one time for yes, twice for no."

Get a video tape of her response. Ask again for confirmation. If she blinks indicating yes, publicize the tape and take it from there. The world will have - on the record - Terri's wishes. AND ANYONE WHO WOULD CONTINUE TO DENY HER FOOD AND WATER AFTER SHE HAS INDICATED SHE WANTS IT WILL BE GUILTY OF COLD BLOODED MURDER.

Edited by Norseman82

I think the great irony of this is that they're not giving her Communion allegedly because they're afraid she'll aspirate and get pneumonia, causing her to die.  That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, considering that she's going to die from starvation within the next two weeks.  The real reason they're not giving her Communion is because the Church sided with Terri and life vs. Mr. Schiavo and death, and now they will keep the Church away from her as they kept her parents and siblings away from her.

However, I think they'll find that nothing they can do can keep God away from her.  If he cannot come to her in the very real and tangible form of the Blessed Sacrament, then he will come to her in a way that no security guard or locked door could ever prevent.  And I think they'll find, now and later in their lives and after their lives, that God has sided very much with Terri and life vs. Mr. Schiavo and death.

I couldn't agree more.

And yes, I'm going to write the governor again as well! Right now!

Pax Christi. <><

I think the great irony of this is that they're not giving her Communion allegedly because they're afraid she'll aspirate and get pneumonia, causing her to die.  That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, considering that she's going to die from starvation within the next two weeks.  The real reason they're not giving her Communion is because the Church sided with Terri and life vs. Mr. Schiavo and death, and now they will keep the Church away from her as they kept her parents and siblings away from her.

However, I think they'll find that nothing they can do can keep God away from her.  If he cannot come to her in the very real and tangible form of the Blessed Sacrament, then he will come to her in a way that no security guard or locked door could ever prevent.  And I think they'll find, now and later in their lives and after their lives, that God has sided very much with Terri and life vs. Mr. Schiavo and death.

Props bro, could not have said it better.

It's been sent, and here it is:

Governor Bush,

With all due respect, you do have the authority, the right, and the obligation to protect your citizens.

Death by starvation is cruel and inhumane treatment.

It isn't permissible to treat a dog this way, nor a criminal, nor a prisoner of war. YOU must NOT let this happen to a defenseless disabled person either!!!

Time is running out for Terri.

God is watching us. How can we utter the phrase, "God bless America, with this murder hanging over our heads?"

I implore you to do more! Call more public attention to this tragedy. This is a very dangerous precedent to set for Florida...who will be next? Florida's elderly? We must demonstrate always the our greatest effort to preserve Human Life!

My prayers will be with you,

I just sent an email rather than a written letter since time is of the essence. Pray that some way can be found to save her life.

Subj: Plea for Terri Schiavo...maybe this will give you a way to take legal action...

Date: 10/19/2003 14:12:27 Central Daylight Time

To: jeb@jeb.org

Gov. Bush,

Thank you for your previous efforts on behalf of Terri Schiavo. I understand that you have limited power over the judiciary. I have an idea to propose, though, that may

allow you to take action.

Considering that the crux of the legal argument is that the only indication of Terri's wishes is from a husband who has abandoned her through adultery and stands to benefit financially by her death - thus creating a conflict of interest - has any attempt been made to find out from Terri what her wishes are? I have heard reports that Terri can respond, and in fact did sit up when informed of the battle over the removal of the feeding tube. This is what I propose. When she is responsive, ask her to use a non-verbal response to indicate her wishes, something like "Terri, do you wish to receive food and water? Blink once for yes, twice for no" and to confirm she can be asked to repeat by raising her right hand for "yes" and her left for "no". The response should be recorded on videotape.

Gov. Bush, even though you may have no direct authority over the judiciary, you do

have authority over the state police and they can assist those who can try to get

Terri's response.

Thank you,

XXXXXX XXXXX

The court has already ordered that no more videos be made of Terri. It's terrible how much they're giving to Schiavo and how little they're giving to the family.

-Mark