An Old School Catholic Message Board

National Vocations Awareness Week

ForHimAlone

Happy National Vocations Awareness Week Eve everyone! National Vocations Awareness Week kicks off tomorrow, January 9. :banana: Let's make sure to send up many prayers this week regarding vocations! God bless you all on your discernment journeys! It might be fun to see a little bit of everyone's vocation stories this week, too!

Our diocese newspaper had a total of 5 articles about National Vocation Awareness Week. There was the editorial by the bishop, a message from the Vatican, and lots others. They were all really inspriring.

God Bless,
Dan

[quote name='danchinn08' date='Jan 9 2005, 12:11 AM'] Our diocese newspaper had a total of 5 articles about National Vocation Awareness Week.  There was the editorial by the bishop, a message from the Vatican, and lots others.  They were all really inspriring.
[/quote]
Ours (the St. Louis Review) had all kinds, too. You can check them out at [url="http://www.stlouisreview.com"]this link.[/url] They said there will be more next week for the tail end of National Vocations Awareness Week. This, of course, is not surprising because of our bishop---the totally awesome Archbishop Burke. He has this goal to really bump up the numbers in seminary, and I really think he will do it! His coloumn is under the link to Archbishop's column or something like that.

Edited by jgirl

I'm in the diocese of La Crosse, the former diocese of Bishop (now Archbishop) Burke. He is know for being able to bring in a lot of vocations. He founded two high school houses of formation, the only two in the country. He's just amazing. You can bet to see lots of new vocations springing up with that man in charge!

There was no mention of Vocation Awareness Week at Mass today....I was very sad...If my Newman Center was open for Mass this week, I'm sure there would have been mention of it this week...oh well....

[quote name='Andrea348' date='Jan 9 2005, 09:17 PM']There was no mention of Vocation Awareness Week at Mass today[/quote]
same here :(

there was a prayer for vocations during the general intercessions though, but that's pretty standard at my parish.

that is why our diocese is doing the Called By Name program this week.

This is an event where priests submit names of people they feel would be good religious and all then are invited to a diner with the bishop.

I'm the Campus Ministry President at my high school, and we're making this week HUGE! I am so excited! We've got a Vocations Fair on Tuesday where priests and religious from the diocese will be coming in. It's going to be awesome! If anyone has any idea of some catchy "vocation slogans" for posters, please let me know.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jan 9 2005, 12:22 AM'] Ours (the St. Louis Review) had all kinds, too. You can check them out at [url="http://www.stlouisreview.com"]this link.[/url] They said there will be more next week for the tail end of National Vocations Awareness Week. This, of course, is not surprising because of our bishop---the totally awesome Archbishop Burke. He has this goal to really bump up the numbers in seminary, and I really think he will do it! His coloumn is under the link to Archbishop's column or something like that. [/quote]
Check it on Friday. I was interviewed today by the St. Louis Review! :D

Pope asks adults to support young people's prayers about vocations

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Many of the young people Pope John Paul II met and encouraged to follow God's call in the early days of his pontificate are priests, nuns and parents today, he said. After having prayed about their own vocations 20 or 25 years ago, he said, it is time for them to support a new generation in discovering God's plan for their lives. In his message for the 2005 World Day of Prayer for Vocations, the pope said that throughout his 26-year pontificate he has met young people filled with happiness and enthusiasm, "but also thoughtful, because they were conscious of a desire to give full meaning to their lives." "Young people need Christ, but they also know that Christ chose to be in need of them," he said in the message released Jan. 8 at the Vatican. The theme for the 2005 day of prayer, to be observed April 17 in most countries, is "Called to Put Out Into the Deep." The theme is taken from Jesus' words to St. Peter and the disciples, encouraging them to set out again and cast their nets after a night of unsuccessful fishing.

Papal Message for 2005 Day of Prayer for Vocations

"Called to Put Out Into the Deep"

VATICAN CITY, JAN. 9, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Here is John Paul II's message for this year's World Day of Prayer for Vocations.

"Called to put out into the deep"
Venerable Brethren in the Episcopate,
dearest Brothers and Sisters!

1. "'Duc in altum!'" At the beginning of the Apostolic Letter "Novo Millennio Ineunte," I made reference to the words with which Jesus encourages the first disciples to let down their nets for a catch, which turned out to be a marvelous one. Jesus says to Peter: "'Duc in altum' -- Put out into the deep" (Luke 5:4). "Peter and the first companions trusted Christ's words and cast their nets" ("Novo Millennio Ineunte," 1).

This well-known Gospel scene can serve as the background setting of the coming World Day of Prayer for Vocations, which has the theme: "Called to put out into the deep." This is a special occasion for reflecting on the vocation to follow Christ and, in particular, to follow him in the priesthood and the consecrated life.

2. "Duc in altum!" The command of Christ is particularly relevant in our time, when there is a widespread mentality which, in the face of difficulties, favors personal non-commitment. The first condition for "putting out into the deep" is to cultivate a deep spirit of prayer nourished by a daily listening to the Word of God. The authenticity of the Christian life is measured by the depth of one's prayer, an art that must be humbly learnt "from the lips of the Divine Master," almost imploring "like the first disciples: 'Lord, teach us to pray!' (Luke 11:1). In prayer, a conversation with Christ develops and it makes us his intimate friends: 'Abide in me and I in you' (John 15:4)" ("Novo Millennio Ineunte," 32).

The link with Christ through prayer also makes us aware that He is also present in moments of apparent failure, when tireless effort seems useless, as happened to the Apostles themselves, who after toiling all night, exclaimed: "Master, we took nothing" (Luke 5:5). It is especially in these moments that one needs to open one's heart to the abundance of grace and to allow the word of the Redeemer to act with all its power: "'Duc in altum!'" (cfr. "Novo Millennio Ineunte," 38).

3. Whoever opens his heart to Christ will not only understand the mystery of his own existence, but also that of his own vocation; he will bear the abundant fruit of grace. The first fruit will be his growth in holiness, in the course of a spiritual journey which begins with the gift of Baptism and continues even to the fullness of perfect love (cfr. ibid., 30). Living the Gospel without adding to it, the Christian becomes always increasingly capable of loving in the way that Christ loved, and welcomes the exhortation of Christ: "You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:48). He will commit himself to persevering in unity with his brothers within the communion of the Church, and he will place himself at the service of the new evangelization, to proclaim and bear witness to the wonderful truth of the saving love of God.

4. Dear adolescents and young people, it is to you in a particular way that I renew the invitation of Christ to "put out into the deep." You find yourselves having to make important decisions for your future. I still hold in my heart the memory of the many opportunities I have had over the years to meet with young people, who have now become adults, some of them your own parents perhaps, or priests or religious, your teachers in the faith. I saw them, happy as young people should be, but also thoughtful, because they were conscious of a desire to give full "meaning" to their lives. I came to recognize more and more how strong is the attraction in young people to the values of the spirit, and how sincere is their desire for holiness. Young people need Christ, but they also know that Christ chose to be in need of them.

Dear young men and women! Trust Christ; listen attentively to his teachings, fix your eyes on his face, persevere in listening to his Word. Allow Him to focus your search and your aspirations, all your ideals and the desires of your heart.

5. Now I turn to you, dear parents and Christian educators, to you dear priests, consecrated persons and catechists. God has entrusted to you the peculiar task of guiding young people on the path to holiness. Be an example to them of generous fidelity to Christ. Encourage them to "put out into the deep" without hesitation, responding eagerly to the invitation of the Lord. Some he calls to family life, others to consecrated life or to the ministerial priesthood. Help them to discern their path, and to become true friends of Christ and his true disciples. When adult Christians show themselves capable of revealing the face of Christ through their own words and example, young people are more ready to welcome His demanding message, stamped as it is with the mystery of the Cross.

Do not forget that today too there is need of holy priests, of persons wholly consecrated to the service of God! With this in mind, I want to repeat once more: "There is a pressing need to implement an extensive plan of vocational promotion, based on personal contact and involving parishes, schools, and families in the effort to foster a more attentive reflection on the essential values of life. These values reach their fulfillment in the response which each person is invited to give to God's call, particularly when the call implies the total gift of oneself and of one's energies for the sake of the Kingdom" ("Novo Millennio Ineunte," 46).

To you, young people, I repeat the word of Jesus: "'Duc in altum!'" In proposing His exhortation once more to you, I think at the same time of the words which Mary, his Mother, addressed to the servants at Cana in Galilee: "Do whatever he tells you" (John 2:5). Dear young people, Christ is asking you to "put out into the deep" and the Virgin Mary is encouraging you not to hesitate in following Him.

6. May an ardent prayer sustained by the motherly intercession of Mary, rise from every corner of the earth, to the heavenly Father to obtain "laborers for his harvest" (Matthew 9:38). May He give zealous and holy priests to every part of his flock. Sustained by this awareness we turn to Christ, the High Priest, and we pray to Him with renewed trust:

Jesus, Son of God,
in whom the fullness of the Divinity dwells,
You call all the baptized to "put out into the deep,"
taking the path that leads to holiness.

Waken in the hearts of young people the desire
to be witnesses in the world of today
to the power of your love.

Fill them with your Spirit of fortitude and prudence,
so that they may be able to discover the full truth
about themselves and their own vocation.

Our Savior,
sent by the Father to reveal His merciful love,
give to your Church the gift
of young people who are ready to put out into the deep,
to be the sign among their brothers
of Your presence which renews and saves.

Holy Virgin, Mother of the Redeemer,
sure guide on the way towards God and towards neighbor,
You who pondered his word in the depth of your heart,
sustain with your motherly intercession
our families and our ecclesial communities,
so that they may help adolescents and young people
to answer generously the call of the Lord.

Amen.

Castel Gandolfo, 11th August 2004
IOANNES PAULUS II

[Translation issued by the Vatican press office]

[quote name='BurkeFan' date='Jan 10 2005, 08:51 PM'] Check it on Friday. I was interviewed today by the St. Louis Review! :D [/quote]
[url="http://www.stlouisreview.com/article.php?id=7675"]http://www.stlouisreview.com/article.php?id=7675[/url]