An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Phatmass Cake Obsession

Azriel

Az, don't read the blue!

Cheesecake reigns supreme...

But carrot cake with cream coagulated milk frosting is really yummy, especially this time of year. (I like to bake in the fall! I've got three birthdays within one week here. We just had chocolate with white boiled icing on Saturday. The twins want lemon cupcakes for their birthday on Thursday.

As I understand diabetes, starches are as bad as sugars. It's not just the sugar in the cakes, but flour as well...?

I think it would be okay to indulge yourself in berries and whipped cream, that's yummy too. I'd buy heavy whipping cream and just add a little vanilla extract, no sugar. (There is an herbal sweetener that health food folks rave about, called stevia, but if your body is having trouble metabolizing sugars, I think it wise to stay away from any sweetener.)

Besides, in 2 1/2 months, you'll have something sweeter than any cake that's ever been made! :)

Pax Christi. <><

i work weddings every saturday...i get left over wedding cake all the time! And when the kitchen has extra, i get left over cheesecake, creme brule, tiramisu, reese cake...i could go on but ur mouthes are prolly watering non stop right now

awww, once the fast is over, i'm definetely getting some type of CAKE!!

Is there something like offering up a pleasure, the way you offer up a sorrow?? I would offer my pleasure at eating cheesecake up for my intentions!!

awww, once the fast is over, i'm definetely getting some type of CAKE!!

Is there something like offering up a pleasure, the way you offer up a sorrow?? I would offer my pleasure at eating cheesecake up for my intentions!!

Actually vera, the Pink Sisters (Holy Spirit Sisters of Adoration) have a tradition of offering up pleasures to God.

For instance: Let's say you're favorite food is Chocolate Milk . . . and at the end of breakfast there is some Chocolate milk left over . . . well, the Sister in charge of the Kitchen will come over to you (because she knows its your favorite) and say "Would you like to save a soul sister?" and asks if you'll drink another glass of Chocolate milk. Which means, she doesn't want to waste the milk, and she knows you would rather deny yourself the pleasure than be a glutton, but because you're helping her, your helping heaven, and the food doesn't go to waste . . . did I make sense?

here's a better version:

Food

"We do not starve ourselves," Formator Nun tells me.  "We have a job to do."  The founders of the order recognized that nutritious meals were essential if they expected their sisters to maintain 24-hour adoration.  "We have to keep our strength up."

Consequently I eat well.  The breakfast tray includes the ingredients of an Elvis sandwich--bread, honey, peanut butter, and bananas.  Also bagels, butter, apples, grapefruit, two kinds of cereal, two kinds of cream coagulated milk, oatmeal, cottage coagulated milk, peach slices and applesauce.  This is standard; on solemnities or other special occasions like Sundays there may be donuts and cake.  Dinner at noon is the big meal.  There has been (not all at the same time) barbecued pork steaks, chicken rice casserole, egg rolls, and the best corned beef I've ever eaten.  Side dishes have included rice (have to have rice at every dinner for the Filipino sisters), various potato dishes ("Germans love potatoes," one of the German sisters sidles up to me to say), asparagus, cabbage, fried fish, dried anchovies, carrots, green beans, and salad.  Supper is lighter fare, with ham slices, coagulated milk and tomatoes arranged for sandwiches.

Most of the food is bought but a lot of it comes from donations.  One fellow regularly sends a quantity of food to the convent.  I am in the kitchen the day one such shipment arrives--hot dogs, steaks with portobello mushrooms, a party platter of shrimp cocktail, salmon steaks.

I know that Kitchen Nun works very hard to plan meals, so I ask her, "Do the people who make food donations ask what the nuns need, or do they just send something randomly?"

"They just send something."

"So you really have to think on her feet."

Kitchen Nun's habitual expression is calm and happy, but when I mention this a look of anguish crosses her face.  I've hit the nail on the head.

But they continually praise the goodness of God in giving them good things to eat.  I can tell Kitchen Nun thinks His is overwhelming generosity at times, as when she buys sausages and then a big box of sausages arrives as a donation.  I hear several nuns quote the verse in the gospel of Luke where Jesus talks about what will be given to those who are generous--a measure pressed down and flowing over--and Kitchen Nun is fond of saying "God will not be outdone in generosity." 

In my book on the history of the Pink Sisters it is mentioned the nuns make up little poems or songs in honor of special occasions.  There should be a song the next time God is generous to Kitchen Nun and two big vats of frozen treats arrive.  As I scoop the contents into smaller containers I think I should be singing

"I thank Jesus, I say 'Yay!'

Jesus gives raspberry sorbet!"

Some of the most interesting food choices appear at the 3:15 coffee break, because the relatives and friends of the Filipino sisters are often sending them treats to reming them of home.  I had a Filipino classmate in grade school so I recognize Pocky when it shows up one day--chocolate- or strawberry-coated pretzels.  I share my Pocky knowledge with the elderly German nuns ("It's a chocolate covered stick.  See the package?  It's 'The Super Snack.'") and watch later as one shakes the strawberry Pocky package under various nuns' noses until they consent to try it.  In return, the Filipino sisters convince me to eat some cashew candy with edible paper.  It's the eating-paper bit I'm unsure of.  "It melts in your mouth," one tells me.  "It's a little like the host."

Apparently willingness to eat the edible paper on cashew candy is part of my spiritual journey.  "You have to live a life of faith!" she says.  Put that way, I see I have no choice.  It's delicious.

There are certain foods that exist only in a convent, because a cardinal rule of convent cooking is that you make efficient use of leftovers.  For instance, faced with leftover chocolate pudding and angel-food cake, Kitchen Nun combines the two into a nice if disconcertingly lumpy dessert. At one dinner, strips of spicy chicken are arranged on pita bread with a bowl of salsa on the side.  Formator Nun examines my plate when I come back to the table.  "What's that?"

"A 'Fajita Pita,'" I tell her.  She raises an eyebrow.  I shrug.  "Only in the convent, Sister."

Every once in a while at dinner Formator Nun comes back to the table with some more fruit or something, and she says, "Sister sold this to me." 

At first this doesn't sound odd, but finally I ask, "If you just bought that, how did you pay for it?"

"I promised prayers."

"Oh."

She explains the nuns in the kitchen don't want an excess of leftovers so they "shop" the remains of a meal to anyone willing to take another serving.  It is an act of charity, then, to eat more.  If one makes the sacrifice to eat or drink a little more, graces are won and souls are saved. 

The nuns discover I am fond of chocolate milk when some appears on the dinner cart as a feast day treat.  So after several days, when there is just one more serving left, Kitchen Nun appears at our table with carton in hand.  I think she says "Do you want to save sauce?"  She has a heavy accent and with her other hand she's adjusting the strap on her apron, which helps the confusion.  I look blankly at the apron.  Did she spill something and does she want me to clean it up?  She's smiling at me and holding out the chocolate milk, so I just nod and smile and offer my glass.  As she walks away she says "I wonder how many souls you just saved?"

Oh.  I just "bought" chocolate milk.  Who would have suspected souls could be saved by drinking chocolate milk?  I'm starting to really like this place...

cmotherofpirl

Actually vera, the Pink Sisters (Holy Spirit Sisters of Adoration) have a tradition of offering up pleasures to God.

For instance: Let's say you're favorite food is Chocolate Milk . . . and at the end of breakfast there is some Chocolate milk left over . . . well, the Sister in charge of the Kitchen will come over to you (because she knows its your favorite) and say "Would you like to save a soul sister?" and asks if you'll drink another glass of Chocolate milk. Which means, she doesn't want to waste the milk, and she knows you would rather deny yourself the pleasure than be a glutton, but because you're helping her, your helping heaven, and the food doesn't go to waste . . . did I make sense?

here's a better version:

And where can I find these people? :rolleyes:

I'm signing up now! :P

IcePrincessKRS

In a few days it'll be Matthew's birthday... I'm making him a chocolate cake with chocolate and peanutbutter frostings. He didn't ask for it, but it gives me an excuse to make it. :lol:

In a few days it'll be Matthew's birthday... I'm making him a chocolate cake with chocolate and peanutbutter frostings. He didn't ask for it, but it gives me an excuse to make it. :lol:

we wanna piece... :(

peanut butter you said?? Nev4r mind, you can have it!! Since i came to the us (two years ago) i've tried it several times, and i personally think it's the most disgusting thing on earth, but that's ok, i know most people like it.... :P