An Old School Catholic Message Board

What did it for you?

FutureSoror

I thought that this would be interesting to hear from different people, especially for those discerning a religious vocation.

For those of you who believe you have found what God is calling you to do, what realization or other thing has helped you know this?

The two realizations that have really helped me know that God is calling me to be a religious sister are:

1. A priest told me that if being a religious was at all in my heart, that I should make sure I explore it. He said that [i]spending a couple years in a convent would never be a waste of time.[/i] I realized that I should just plunge in! I told God I'd do it because he seemed to be tugging me towards the idea, and what followed was true peace.

2. I was told by a sister that the vocation that God was calling me to would bring me joy, and I certainly grew to love the idea of a religious vocation. During a retreat when a priest was talking about being a sister I was filled with such great joy, and I knew then. ^_^

Edited by FutureSoror

daugher-of-Mary

1. Peace. On my first visit to the convent I hope to enter, the peace was completely overwhelming. I have no words that could adequately describe it

2. Spiritual friendships have helped me out soo much over the past few years. Particularly my spiritual brother. It was so beautiful to see him grow in his discernment of the religious priesthood. Also, God granted him the grace of seeing my vocation better than I could at times. When I was confused or doubting (quite often!) he helped me remember the simplicity of saying "yes" to whatever God was calling me to right at that second.

For me it was the realization that true happiness comes from doing God's will. I could do things my way, but the things that I thought I loved didn't bring me true joy. My joy comes from serving God in others, which is way better than me serving me with literature.

Also, for me, I experience a great peace when I am around religious Sisters, especially those in the two orders I love. When I visited the order that I think I will eventually enter if it is God's will, I felt like I belonged, that the only thing that separated me from them was that they had habits and I had normal clothes, and what they had, I wanted. It's totally incomprehensible to me because I (emphasis on me) wanted to join a larger community where I could see my parents every 6 weeks instead of talking to them on the phone because they lived half an hour away. This community is small and very far away, and I wouldn't get to write as many letters to my friends, but strangely, I feel pulled toward it. Actually, one of the biggest concerns I always had was the family thing, but when I was flying back home on the plane, it hit me that I didn't even ask how often I got to hear from or see my family, and the distance didn't even cross my mind. That was my greatest epiphanic moment in my discernment.

I have always been unsure about my vocation. I finally read a book in which a consecrated woman was quoted to say that you can never be completely sure about your vocation; you simply follow where you feel led and fill the gap of unknowing with love.
With the religious vocation, you have years of discernment before a permanent commitment, so you don't have to be positive before you enter a community- you just have to love God enough to go where you think He's leading you.

I'm not sure of my vocation.

Sometimes, I look at the priesthood, and think it is the best way I can serve God, and be close to him forever.

Where as I believe I could help to bring about God's will in the government, by helping to bring an end to abortion, etc.

There are many good points to each one, and it is only through prayer, I will find out what my vocation is.

• 4 weeks later...

Well sometimes little things happen. I'm looking into the Franciscans. Francis' 'version' of the cross was the Tao cross (which looks like a "T"). Last night I was making something with my brother that had a cross on it, and the top broke off while I was working with it. I thought nothing of it, except that it was frustrating to have it break on me all the sudden. But my brother brought it to me later and said "hey, you should keep this, it looks like St. Francis' cross".

:)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I guess this is the beginnings of my story:

[url="http://handmaidofthelord.blogdrive.com/archive/8.html"]http://handmaidofthelord.blogdrive.com/archive/8.html[/url]

It's off my blog...

For me it all began when I finally surrendered to God.

One day, a while after a retreat... I set aside time to be alone with God. I prayed to God about my vocation and surrendered to whatever His will may be for me. It was hard but I did it when I was ready. I wouldn't back down. And when I did truly surrender, thats when God told me. Not through big visions, or by talking out loud to me and so on. He placed the longing in my heart, He filled me with a fear yet longing to be a sister.

As I continued to pray to God about my vocation, it became more clear to me. It's now all I want, to do Gods will, Gods will alone. I am filled with a great inner peace and joy, I have never felt so sure about anything before, never. I am actually one to usually to find a hard time to make a decision. This wasn't for me though, it was clear and sure.

When I completely surrendered, opened up to all possibilities I came to find out what God was calling me to. And it was when I completely surrendered God finally told me, God knew I was ready to accept His will and told me. Again... Not through His words aloud to me, but told me in my soul.

I feel called to the Dominican Nuns of the Heart of Jesus. I have no doubt, only peace and joy. I am so happy and excited for I feel this truly is Gods will.

All in all, surrender is key, one must work in Gods time too. Have faith in God and pray about ones vocation often, when ready I encourage all to truly surrender to whatever God may be calling us to. What I mean by surrender is really taking time to pray and talk with God, telling God honestly and seriously that one is ready and longs to do His will alone. Gods plans for us will only bring about true peace, joy and happiness so don't be afraid, have faith in God. God knows us better than we know ourselves, He will only lead us down the right path, the path to Him and true happiness.

Often people try to defind the American Dream... Or should I say... The Big dream... Whatever... The point is, our dream should be Gods dream. Our dream should not be selfish but giving, to do the will of God alone and that can be anything. Be open and surrender, thats my suggestion.

May God bless you all!

Love in Christ,
Marjorie

For me so many little things. One clencher though was when I was praying one time and I could hear in my soul God saying "Karin I want you to be a Dominican nun". But another thing that made me sure is I have an unexplainable joy about it. I also have a peace that is like none I have ever felt before. Oh I am so happy. I am so in love with Christ I just long to be His bride.

Last summer while working at a LIFE TEEN camp during Adoration was when I knew what I had to do. I just remember feelings so much peace and comfort. After, I began talking with friends about the religious life and one friend told me about the consecrated life. While my time in Seattle, I met with two of the consecrated for Regnum Christi and I now recieve Spiritual Direction from one of the members. We have talked continuiously about the difference between being consecrated and a Sister, so I have been praying about which religious life to look into. I have always felt called to wearing a veil though, so we'll have to see what God has planned.
Last Sunday at mass during the Presentation of the Gifts, I was singing a song with the words, "Set me as a seal on Your heart" and began to feel my body rested and almost like an arm around my shoulders; the Lord was saying, "Your okay. Your going to be alright. Continue being my servant." It was so beautiful my eyes began to be filled with tears of joy. Before that Sunday, I was starting to tell my mom that maybe the religious life wasn't for me and maybe I was wasting my time. But I now I know that God wants me on this journey of discernment ... I just know it.

Catholictothecore

I'm sure that God is calling me to consecrated life. The details are still fuzzy.

1. There has always been a priest involved in my life.

2. I've always had a...for lack of better words, gut feeling, an instinct, that I'll either be a saint or a heretic. I prever saint.

3. I see so many simularites between myself a many saints, particularly St. Peter, St. Francis of Assisi, and many, many other "mystic" saints.

4. I love God very much, first, when I could tell what God did for me, second, because after time the resulting desire to obey him has grown to genuine love.

I don't know. It just makes sense from my point of veiw, and a number of priests have encouraged my exploration of the idea.

[quote name='melporcristo' date='Feb 14 2005, 12:01 AM'] Last summer while working at a LIFE TEEN camp during Adoration was when I knew what I had to do. I just remember feelings so much peace and comfort. After, I began talking with friends about the religious life and one friend told me about the consecrated life. While my time in Seattle, I met with two of the consecrated for Regnum Christi and I now recieve Spiritual Direction from one of the members. We have talked continuiously about the difference between being consecrated and a Sister, so I have been praying about which religious life to look into. I have always felt called to wearing a veil though, so we'll have to see what God has planned.
Last Sunday at mass during the Presentation of the Gifts, I was singing a song with the words, "Set me as a seal on Your heart" and began to feel my body rested and almost like an arm around my shoulders; the Lord was saying, "Your okay. Your going to be alright. Continue being my servant." It was so beautiful my eyes began to be filled with tears of joy. Before that Sunday, I was starting to tell my mom that maybe the religious life wasn't for me and maybe I was wasting my time. But I now I know that God wants me on this journey of discernment ... I just know it. [/quote]
I know a lot of the consecrated in RC-- they're swell. I have a friend and a sister who are going to be consecrated with Regnum Christi. Have you read "Four in the Afternoon"? It's a good book about the stories of women who have become consecrated.

God bless.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Feb 15 2005, 09:57 AM'] I know a lot of the consecrated in RC-- they're swell. I have a friend and a sister who are going to be consecrated with Regnum Christi. Have you read "Four in the Afternoon"? It's a good book about the stories of women who have become consecrated.

God bless. [/quote]
ditto that.

I was a precandidate last year to discern whether I was called to the Consecrated life. I also know [i]many[/i] Consecrated.

I don't know yet whether I am called, God wants me to be with my family right now.