An Old School Catholic Message Board

Terri's Bill Passed!

Anna

The president of the Senate has already voiced that he is against this bill.  It's not over yet....

:(

Exactly, let's keep praying!!!! A miracle is needed!!!

The Senate convened today at 1pm EST.

Senate 0012: Relating to Governor/One-time Stay

S12-E GENERAL BILL by Webster (Similar H 0035-E) Governor/One-time Stay; authorizes Governor to issue one-time stay to prevent withholding of nutrition & hydration under certain circumstances; provides for expiration of stay; authorizes Governor to lift stay at any time; provides for revocation of stay; provides that person is not civilly liable & is not subject to regulatory or disciplinary sanctions for taking action in compliance with any such stay.

EFFECTIVE DATE: Upon becoming law. 10/20/03 SENATE Filed; Introduced, referred to Rules and Calendar -SJ 00003;

On Committee agenda-- Rules and Calendar, 10/21/03, 8:00 am, 37-S

10/21/03 SENATE Favorable with 1 amendment(s) by- Rules and Calendar; YEAS 10 NAYS 2; Placed on Calendar, on second reading; Placed on Special Order Calendar; Read second time; Amendment(s) adopted

Here is the website for the bill:

http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/view_page..../billtext/html/

I can't find any exact info on when it will voted on by the full senate, except that it will be tonight.

from catholic citizens website...

PLEASE Call and/or write James King in the Florida Legislature and demand that want emergency legislation be passed immediately--today--to create a moratorium on starving/dehydration such as Terri is being forced to endure. Phone: 850-487-5229 or 850-487-5030, or send an email to king.james@leg.state.fl.us

james king is leader of the senate...

anna, thanks my friend, for all...

Edited by Donna

Getting closer to a law. The Senate Panel has approved the bill and it now goes to the full Senate for a vote tonight. Keep praying. The full Senate has to approve it and then the Govenor can sign it into law. Keep praying for Terri that she may stay in good health through tommorrow!

Senate Panel Approves Schiavo Bill

By ALLISON NORTH JONES and ELAINE SILVESTRINI The Tampa Tribune

Published: Oct 22, 2003

TALLAHASSEE - A state Senate panel Tuesday morning approved legislation that would give Gov. Jeb Bush the power to order the feeding tube removed from Terri Schiavo reinserted.

The full Senate is expected to approve the bill Tuesday evening.

The battle to save Schiavo shifted to the state Capitol Monday, where legislative leaders agreed after intense, daylong negotiations to grant Bush the power to intervene in the emotionally charged case.

The Florida House of Representatives passed a bill 68-23 Monday night that would give Bush the authority to order the comatose Schiavo's feeding tube replaced, reversing a judicial order that other judges have upheld. Twenty-eight lawmakers did not vote.

The state Senate is expected to pass the same measure today and send it to Bush, who likely will sign the bill immediately.

``The proposed bill would allow for a stay in cases of withholding nutrition and hydration from patients in situations similar to that of Ms. Schiavo,'' Bush said in a statement.

Once the bill is signed, Bush will have 15 days to issue a one-time stay.

The move came just hours after an advocacy group for disabled people pleaded with a federal judge in Tampa to keep Schiavo, 39, alive long enough to investigate a claim that she is being abused by her husband. U.S. District Judge Steven D. Merryday said he will issue a decision in the nationally watched case soon.

Phones and computers across the state Capitol rang and chimed throughout the day as lawmakers were flooded with pleas to intervene in the Schiavo case. Earlier in the day, House Speaker Johnnie Byrd, a Plant City Republican running for the U.S. Senate, opened the possibility of legislative intervention by confirming that he planned to propose legislation to ``save'' Schiavo. Rep. John Stargel, R-Lakeland, sponsored the bill.

``The family is elated,'' said Randall Terry, a spokesman for Terri Schiavo's parents who are trying to keep their daughter alive. ``They recognize there are still hurdles to overcome. They're praying Terri's health holds out until the governor can intervene to save her.''

Urging caution is Senate President Jim King, R-Jacksonville.

King said he is leery of interfering in a case that has been vetted in nearly ``every court in the land.'' But citing ``unique and unusual circumstances,'' he signed off on what he considers a narrowly drafted measure that still delivers what Byrd and Bush want.

``If we are going to err, then let us err on the side of caution,'' King said. ``I just hope to God we've done the right thing.''

The bill gives Bush the power to issue a ``one-time'' stay under certain conditions.

All are designed to fit Schiavo's case. Among them, for example, is a requirement that the feeding tube must have been removed as of Oct. 15 - the day Schiavo's tube was removed. Others stipulate that the patient have no written advance directive or living will, and that a family member is actively challenging the judicial orders.

But the bill raised a variety of legal and constitutional concerns for lawmakers worried the Legislature was overstepping its bounds.

``This bill so oversteps our role, it not only sets a dangerous precedent, it turns democracy on its head,'' said Rep. Dan Gelber, D-Miami Beach.

In Tampa, an Advocacy Center for Persons with Disabilities attorney told Judge Merryday that the private agency received a telephone complaint Friday alleging Schiavo was the victim of neglect and abuse. The center is designated by the state to receive federal funds under a number of laws, including the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Attorney Gordon B. Scott asked Merryday to order that Schiavo be given nutrition long enough for the agency to investigate the abuse complaint. Such a temporary order, Scott said, would be in force for 10 days, after which Scott would be required to report any findings to the court.

Merryday asked Scott whether the agency would be in court if Terri Schiavo had left written instructions expressing her desire not to be kept alive on life support. State courts have ruled in favor of Michael Schiavo's claim that his wife had verbally expressed those wishes.

Scott said that if there were a legally valid written statement from Terri Schiavo, he would not have filed the request for the restraining order.

At the Pinellas Park hospice where Terri Schiavo spent her fifth full day without food or water Monday, the Schindler family remained upbeat while awaiting word from Tampa and Tallahassee.

The family is praying that the Legislature acts quickly to force the hospice to resume feeding Terri Schiavo, said her sister, Suzanne Carr.

``She seems to be alert,'' said her brother, Bob Schindler Jr. ``But every day that goes by, we're getting into a crucial time for her. She's got an incredible will to live.''

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Reporter David Sommer contributed to this report. Reporter Allison North Jones can be reached at (850) 222-8382. Reporter Elaine Silvestrini can be reached at (813) 259-7837.

:( :(:( I'm not a patient person....

This is horrible, unless they pass it quickly, she could suffer permanent health damage for being deprived for so long....

:(:(:(:(:( :ph34r:

Just got this e-mail from Jeb Bush's office:

Thank you for writing to Governor Bush and expressing interest in the

well-being of Terri Schindler Schiavo.  He has asked me to respond on his

behalf.  The Governor is very concerned about Terri, and his thoughts and

prayers are with the Schindler family.

The Governor expanded the call of the special session last night to include

legislation that may be helpful in the tragic and very unique case of Terri

Schiavo.  As he continues to pray for Mrs. Schiavo and her entire family,

the Governor anticipates action by the Senate today.  The House passed the

bill last night.  When the bill is presented to the Governor, he will sign

it into law.  He has asked his legal staff to determine the swiftest course

of action, and hopes to act today.

The bill is very narrow and addresses the unique condition of Mrs. Schiavo.

It gives the Governor the right to order the re-insertion of her feeding and

hydration tubes.  The language would also allow the Governor to rescind the

order, should Mrs. Schiavo's condition change.

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Lauren O'Connor

Office of Citizens' Services

Confessionator741

YAHOO!

I petitioned at my school to make the students as well as the faculty aware of what was going on. I collected over 50 signatures and got tons, tons more gawking looks from students in disbelief...

it definitely raised awareness and i think it may have even got prayers....prayer that were answered.

I hope the senate follows in the house's footsteps to save her life!

the petition is on the way to Terris family/organization tomorrow!

GOD BLESS,

and BE THE FACE OF CHRIST TO THE WORLD....

i'm out.

B

even when she gets the feeding tube inserted back in ( i say when because i believe the senate is gonna pass the bill) continue to pray for her. What has it been 4 days without food for her? Even when she gets the tube back in the lack of food and water for days will hurt her health alot. I mean a normal healthy man or woman would suffer without food for four days let alone a sick woman. CONTINUE TO PRAY!

even when she gets the feeding tube inserted back in ( i say when because i believe the senate is gonna pass the bill) continue to pray for her.  What has it been 4 days without food for her?  Even when she gets the tube back in the lack of food and water for days will hurt her health alot.  I mean a normal healthy man or woman would suffer without food for four days let alone a sick woman.  CONTINUE TO PRAY!

Try going on 7!

But fear not, our Lord survived 40 days. And many of His Saints have survived years with only the Eucharist (though, "only" is an understatement).

'twill be a miracle. But hey, as Catholics, we do believe in miracles! ;)

'twill be a miracle.  But hey, as Catholics, we do believe in miracles!  ;)

Do we believe in miracles??

YES WE DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!