An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wal-mart Has Done It Again!

Lil Red

In my community, Wal-mart has just put the 6th local grocery store out of business. I'm upset at them and at the people who don't realize that by supporting Wal-mart, they are shutting down other stores.

:angry::angry::angry::( :(

Yah it smells of elderberries but that is America. The best man win. Wal Mart whoudl be rewarded. That was a great novel idea to have all in one shopping.

Wal-mart should be rewarded for undercutting others prices just because they can? So if they continue, they can put all local grocery stores out of business, which in turn would make them a monopoly? And aren't monopolies illegal in this country? ie: a bad thing?

Plus, you know, their produce and stuff may be cheaper, but it's of cheaper quality. I'll keep shopping at my local grocery store even though Wal-mart is closer.

Dont get me wrong I dontt shop for groceries at wally world. I like customer service over quanity and all that carp. BUT if wally world didnt continue to slash their prices then we would have inflation. Competition between business's is what keeps prices reasonable. Without it you would be complaining about how much you have to pay.

Actually, sometimes I feel that my home town cheats me out of my own money and the many others who work hard and strive to stretch thier money. Wal-Mart has the better prices, lower and best quality. Recently we were looking for a wheel barrow, and in our home town, they costed $46!!!! :o Walmart charged $27, for a bigger and better one. With Wal-Mart, the ppl who work for them have more opportunites and more jobs offered. My mom works at a Wal-Mart and it's great! (So is the %10 discount) :P

I really feel Wal-Mart does a service to the communities, epecially the poor ones with minorites. We don't have to drive 30-45 minutes away to get the better deal, they're in our backyards AND give us jobs. B) And you find EVERYTHING in one place. AND they are ALWAYS willing to donate TONS of stuff to the schools, our Catholic parishes, other churches and so much more. I've gone in high school for student council, done community work with them and gone and asked for donations for fundraisers. Yes, they will shut out small businesses, but they will give back to the community more than those small buisnesses can.

I understand where your coming from Jess, but I love Wally's World! :lol:

Competition? Yes, it's good.

Putting stores out of business? Turning small towns into ghost towns? Putting people out of a job? No, that's bad.

yah but think about how many ppl find work at wal mart and its either wal mart goes out of business or the other grocery store does. It is a competition. You dont play a football game and purposely lose because you dont want the other team to have to lose.

I have never bought a single thing at Wal-Mart.

There are better ways to support and economy, particularly an economy which is not driven by Christian Principles.

1. Most things you buy at Wal-Mart are made through Child labour and sweatshops. That VCR is cheap because someone made it for 5 cents an hour.

2. Companies like Wal-Mart open and make tons of jobs and then POOF! they disappear leaving the boomtown in a desparate state of affairs. Don't believe me? Just look at Flint Michigan.

3. Smaller businesses are much better at Community development than large corporations, when a large company sets itself up with a Charity it often does so with the purpose of creating an inexpensive ad campaign. Not that small companies don't but larger companies are less likely to have geniune interest in the charity than the almighty dollar.

4. Who closes business on a Sunday? Who keeps their workers working 24 hours a day?

I could go on and on and on......

2. Companies like Wal-Mart open and make tons of jobs and then POOF! they disappear leaving the boomtown in a desparate state of affairs. Don't believe me? Just look at Flint Michigan.

Oh, if anyone wants to talk about this, come and talk to me. Flint, Michigan born and raised baby.

You may not like Michael Moore, but "Roger & Me" - is an accurate account of what happened in my dear hometown.

And unless you lived it, you don't really know.

Not to mention that another reason why Wallmart can sell stuff as cheap as it does is because they pay their employees dirt-cheap wages. Not to mention hiring a lot of part time people so they don't have to pay for medical insurance.

I understand the arguments on both sides, but seeing as how my wife’s line of work is directly related to a certain aspect of what Wallmart sells, I can sympathize with others that are in competition with them as well. Companies that care about their employees have a hard time surviving when Wally World comes to town.

ha ha i my roomate is from the diocese of lansing. He said Flint is the way it is because of the FACTORY shutting down not a grocery store. Wal Marts arent the life source for a towns jobs but a huge factory that was in Flint was. That is why when the factory pulled out the whole town went to carp cause the town depended on the factory. Most towns dont depend of Wal Mart

Plus, they have a lot of workers at part-time, meaning they don't have as many as full-time and can pay them cheaper, don't have to pay overtime, etc.

Another thing. The local grocery store my church uses lets us "charge" stuff and then they send us a bill once a month. They do this for many local businesses. Do you think Wal-mart would do something like this? Heck no.

i worked at a small town grocery store in Iowa called Fareway. The ppl who worked at wal mart not only got paid more but got better benefits and were treated better.

Companies such as Wallmart are playing a big part in the disappearance of the middle class in this country. They simply do nothing for the working class other than to provide cheap goods. The simple fact is they do not pay people enough to live on. Working part time with no insurance is no way to live, and let's face it that is mostly what Wallmart hires, part time people.

ha ha i my roomate is from the diocese of lansing. He said Flint is the way it is because of the FACTORY shutting down not a grocery store. Wal Marts arent the life source for a towns jobs but a  huge factory that was in Flint was. That is why when the factory pulled out the whole town went to carp cause the town depended on the factory. Most towns dont depend of Wal Mart

Not just one factory, kiddo. More than one. Flint is THE birthplace of General Motors.

And, I, for one, wasn't saying that Walmart would shut down a whole town, but the fact is that towns that depend on a large corporation do suffer greatly when that corporation pulls out.

Don't you be ha ha'ing me. LOL.

:P