An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question on the habit ...

melporcristo

Hi friends,
So I recently have been talking with a sister from an order in Africa who is studying here at Seattle University. She is a very smart woman and has a joyful heart. Except we got into a disscussion on wearing the habits and she seems very confused on it. She wears a habit, but she is very for sisters who don't wear it. So why don't sisters wear their habits? Is it just America where sisters don't wear them?

Pax,
Melissa

Actually, when I went to visit the Missionary Benedictines Monastery, there were Benedictine nuns who visited also, and were wearing their habit. So there are still some good ones out there (lol) :)

Well, this one dominican explained it to me, that they don't wear habits, because in the war, they wore natural clothes called a daily habit or something...

Also as a sister, there is an inddullable mark on their soul, and one should recongnize that.

[quote name='the_rev' date='Jan 14 2005, 10:05 PM'] Well, this one dominican explained it to me, that they don't wear habits, because in the war, they wore natural clothes called a daily habit or something...

Also as a sister, there is an inddullable mark on their soul, and one should recongnize that. [/quote]
i see ...
Okay, so sisters don't have to wear the habit then since people should know the indullable mark on their soul instead of noticing the habit.

StPiusVPrayForUs

The ones here would rather sedductive dresses than a habit. Welcome to the backwords (litterally speaking) diocese I live in.

Edited by StPiusVPrayForUs

Some orders don't wear the habit anymore, but basically all of them did at one time. There are plenty of orders that do wear the habit in America, though. Check out the Spinnest Habit thread!

[url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=20933"]http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=20933[/url]

Edited by FutureSoror

[quote name='the_rev' date='Jan 14 2005, 10:05 PM'] Also as a sister, there is an inddullable mark on their soul, and one should recongnize that. [/quote]
JMJ
1/15 - First Saturday

BTW, there is no indelible mark left on the soul of a nun (nor of a simple brother) - indelible marks are only left by the sacraments of baptism, confirmation, and Holy Orders. Neither brothers nor nuns receive Orders.

I was recently speaking with a sister who did not wear a habit. She explained that after Vatican II, they really looked at their community and how they fit into the world. They were expanding their ministries, and they really felt that a habit was old-fashioned and pointless. They also felt that it separated them from the people they worked with. They chose to wear regular clothes, instead.

Personally, I love the habit and what it represents!! ^_^

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Jan 15 2005, 04:30 AM'] JMJ
1/15 - First Saturday

BTW, there is no indelible mark left on the soul of a nun (nor of a simple brother) - indelible marks are only left by the sacraments of baptism, confirmation, and Holy Orders. Neither brothers nor nuns receive Orders. [/quote]
Ok, thank you for pointing that out.

A lot of sisters were encouraged to stop wearing the habit after the feminist movement. Personally I think it's a product of Modernism in the Church. Some people, who have been influenced by Modernism, are afraid of standing up for what they ARE.
I know sisters (Daughters of St. Paul) who wear civilian clothes when working in Africa and countries that are unsafe to wear habits in. However, they all wear similar uniform-type skirts with blouses and vests. They just don't wear the veil. I think that is perfectly acceptable if it helps you with your missionary work, but in American I really see now reason why sisters and Nuns wouldn't wear a habit, except for some kind of desire for liberation or Modernism.

Totus tuus,
Lauren <3_

StPiusVPrayForUs

Here's my kind of mother. What do you think?

[img]http://images.ibsys.com/2003/0417/2120016_200X150.jpg[/img]

The arguement that Vatican II told nuns to throw away their habits is as true as the folks that say that Vatican II said to take away the high altars completely, Latin, Gregorian Chant, etc. In other words, she's wrong.

Edited by StPiusVPrayForUs

[quote name='StPiusVPrayForUs' date='Jan 15 2005, 02:15 PM'] Here's my kind of mother. What do you think?

[img]http://images.ibsys.com/2003/0417/2120016_200X150.jpg[/img]

The arguement that Vatican II told nuns to throw away their habits is as true as the folks that say that Vatican II said to take away the high altars completely, Latin, Gregorian Chant, etc. In other words, she's wrong. [/quote]
I totally agree that the habits should stay among the orders. I understand in a state of religious persecution, etc. I had a feeling most orders who don't wear it is because of liberation and the feminist movement.. yuck ...

Yes, she might become my mother! Well... like I said, I seriously believe there's no reason in America (or any civilized country) not to be wearing the habit.

Actually, she did wear the modern habit for some time. The Pope made a statement about it (don't remember what exactly he said), but she realized that it was better to wear the traditional habit. Someone called in to EWTN and asked about that, and Father explained what happened with her habit.

Are you back, or are you still in Louisiana?