An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gay Bishop

FX2

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/10/21...s.ap/index.html

doesnt this go directly against: Lev 13?

'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

its sad to see what Religion has come too. I mean even if he isnt Catholic, he is still a man of God. He is still also a Christian. I dont want him as a representation of Christianity! He is going against what he should be representing...the Bible!

littleflower+JMJ

"only God can stop me" ??!! whats up with that??!!

never underestimate the power of God.

that is so messed up.

how confused some ppl are these days...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/10/21...s.ap/index.html

doesnt this go directly against: Lev 13?

its sad to see what Religion has come too. I mean even if he isnt Catholic, he is still a man of God. He is still also a Christian. I dont want him as a representation of Christianity! He is going against what he should be representing...the Bible!

Not just Lev. brother...

But other places too... such as Romans 1.

The good thing about this is that it will send some Angelican's to the Catholic Church.... and it just goes to show that the only the Catholic Church will not be overcome by the netherworld.

God Bless, Your Servant in Christ,

ironmonk

Heck, one of the more liberal branches of the Presbyterian Church has been debating ordaining practicing homosexuals for years. I bet the day will come when they ordain someone like that too.

whats weirdest about it is he says that the bibles teaching of loving someone no matter what over powers the homosexual issues. I believe he needs to learn that it means love the sinner and not the sin.

Spiritual_Arsonist

Let it be said here that I predict that the most of protestantism will stray so far away from the basics of the creed that the world will be able to see the glory of the true church of God. The branch will fall sometime, too many monkies are on it fighting.

Despite the rejecting the Bible, is an openly gay bishop really that necessary; what will he have to offer the Episcopal Church that a straight bishop can't do? I don't think Episcopalians can get anymore liberal - some bishops don't even believe in the Trinity anymore. There is a show called Religion and Ethics that comes on public broadcasting and an Episcopalian priestess said the ordination is supposed to be symbolic of all Christians being represented in the body of Christ. Do the Anglican's still believe their bishops are in apostolic sucession?

As soon as things simmer down, something always happens to stirr things up again!!!

I would like to point out, hopefully while also avoiding a confrontation, that a bishop who advocates pedophilia would be as wrong as a gay bishop in the eyes of the Catholic Church. I don't think people living in the glass house of a pedophilia scandal should be trying to throw stones at the Episcopalians. I'm sure they are fully capable of dealing with their own internal issues without Catholic commentary or intervention -- such as the intervention of Cardinal Ratzinger who attended the meeting of the 2600 conservative schismatics.

By the way, while we're on this topic... how would the Catholic Church feel if a representative of the Archbishop of Canterbury were to show solidarity with schismatic organizations like Call To Action or the Society of St. Pius X by going to one of their meetings? Why, then, is it all right for a representative of the pope to go to a meeting of Episcopalian schismatics? That genuinely confuses me.

There are many gay priests in the Anglican church - in fact it has been said that the work of the church in the inner cities would collapse if it were not the case as priests with families often choose not to live and work in those areas. The issue which has caused the problem for the Anglican church over this gay bishop is not that he is gay but that he has been open and honest about it. Sadly it seems as if the issue of him being gay rather than whether the church should want its priests to be open about the matter will split the church.

The good thing about this is that it will send some Anglican's to the Catholic church

I would hope that you would prefer us to come to the Catholic church on the basis of the conviction that it is the true faith rather than because of prejudice towards gay people!

I would like to point out, hopefully while also avoiding a confrontation, that a bishop who advocates pedophilia would be as wrong as a gay bishop in the eyes of the Catholic Church.  I don't think people living in the glass house of a pedophilia scandal should be trying to throw stones at the Episcopalians.

The Catholic Church is not living in a glass house of pedophilia. The percentage of Priests that have commited such a crime is less than half that of protestant churches that have the same problem... NOT TO MENTION THE Catholic Church DOES NOT SAY IT'S OK!

I'm sure they are fully capable of dealing with their own internal issues without Catholic commentary or intervention -- such as the intervention of Cardinal Ratzinger who attended the meeting of the 2600 conservative schismatics.

By the way, while we're on this topic... how would the Catholic Church feel if a representative of the Archbishop of Canterbury were to show solidarity with schismatic organizations like Call To Action or the Society of St. Pius X by going to one of their meetings?  Why, then, is it all right for a representative of the pope to go to a meeting of Episcopalian schismatics?  That genuinely confuses me.

Call to Action - they're heretic, and they still call themselves Catholic. The Angelican's are not claiming to be Catholic, and it's not like they are trying to split off now, they split happened hundreds of years ago.

I mean this constructively... try to study up on critical thinking and logic, it seems lots of things are genuinely confusing you of late.

I would hope that you would prefer us to come to the Catholic church on the basis of the conviction that it is the true faith rather than because of prejudice towards gay people!

First off, that was the point if you read it in context. Did you not read the rest of the line?! "and it just goes to show that the only the Catholic Church will not be overcome by the netherworld."

The angelican church is being overcome... all non-Catholic churches are being overcome by the netherworld.... Only One Church will stand, and never be overcome by the Netherworld.... The Catholic Church, because it is the Truth.

And there is not prejudice against people with ssa! WE ARE NOT JUDGING THEM. There is a simple fact that ssa is a disorder.

The angelican's that allow an practicing ssa as bishop cannot ever speak against fornication anymore... they've destroyed their own arguments.

-ironmonk

Let it be said here that I predict that the most of protestantism will stray so far away from the basics of the creed that the world will be able to see the glory of the true church of God.

There are plenty of Protestants who are not liberal and are sticking to the Word of God and what it says.

Heck, one of the more liberal branches of the Presbyterian Church has been debating ordaining practicing homosexuals for years. I bet the day will come when they ordain someone like that too.

There are many churches that do already allow for ordination of homosexuals, such as the Uniting Church in Australia. However, this is being appealed, and many congregations and individuals will be walking away from the Uniting Church if nothing changes.

Edited by Joolye

Ironmonk, apologies if I misinterpreted your post!

The problem is that the debate in the anglican church and the media, certainly in the UK, has centred precisely on the fact that the bishop is gay and not on the fact that the church must have 'turned a blind eye' to the issue when he was a priest, unless of course he was not open and honest about being gay then. (I don't know if he was) I suspect that it wouldn't even be being discussed if he had just maintained an air of being heterosexual while in reality being gay.

I am very concerned that the church should be transparent and honest about such issues - aren't we called to be a light to the world? Isn't this also one of the reasons why the Catholic church in Boston found itself 'in crisis' because there was knowledge about the sexual abuse that was going on but wasn't being transparent and honest about how it was being dealt with - certainly Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor in England was questioned about this issue relating to a similar situation in the UK.

I believe you are right, there will be anglicans who leave the church simply because of the matter of the appointment of a gay bishop. However I sincerely hope that their decision to join another church will be based on the conviction that that church is right in all matters of faith, otherwise their 'conversion' (for the want of a better word) will be built upon sand.

I am an anglican who feels very homeless at the moment. My original questioning of the beliefs I have been raised in lay not in the issue of gay priests, but in concern that the church will one day have as it's nominal head a man who committed adultry and lied about it, and who professes no Christian belief at all. As a high anglican, I felt my 'natural spiritual home' would be the Catholic church. However since I have started this journey I have found it is not as simple as jumping churches, there is the matter of questioning (and letting go of?) a life time of protestant beliefs!